PDA

View Full Version : Who taught Ip Chun WC?

gnugear
05-24-2002, 09:36 PM
If it wasn't Yip Man, who was it?

yuanfen
05-25-2002, 04:52 AM
Other Yip Man students. Why does it matter? After Yip Man -many of wing chun folks learned from each other. The search for legitimacy makes so many claim that they learned directly from Yip Man.

gnugear
05-25-2002, 08:52 AM
Why does it matter?

Just trying to brush up on my Wing Chun histrory. Which of Yip Man's students taught him?

yuanfen
05-25-2002, 01:01 PM
Just trying to brush up on my Wing Chun histrory. Which of Yip Man's students taught him?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Without an everpresent intelligent fly on the wall- do you really think that there is an "objective" wing chun history?

kungfu cowboy
05-25-2002, 01:41 PM
Heck no!:)

TjD
05-25-2002, 01:58 PM
i would have hoped ip man taught his sons wing chun :)

it seems to me that fathers often teach their sons the art

shrug
travis

yuanfen
05-25-2002, 02:51 PM
it seems to me that fathers often teach their sons the art

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How often is often? Really not that simple. Did we hear a peep from an off spring of- take your pick...Mushashi, Kurosawa,
Gauguin, Heifetz, Rubinstein, Beethoven etc etc...
sometimes yes... Chen Fake, Ravi Shankar, ...
sometimes no...
sometimes father son relationships are muddled--- sometimes uncles are more appropriate teachers... Chen Xiao Wang's son is learning from CXW's brother.
In any case check the dates on when Yip man quit his regular teaching and when his sons joined him. But- It really does not matter. Then again by osmosis sons can pick up things- remember what a knowledgeable father said even when unable to give daily instruction.
The key is- what does someone really know---meet them, go toa seminar or two... compare- judge for yourself.
Sometimes a person learns the foundations from someone and the
finishing from someone else. The so called genealogy books
are pretty shallow and uneven. The nature, the kind and the duration of the instruction are not always self evident.. There are people who learned the knives frpm wong shon leung but for prestige claim they learned from yip man.
But several of Yip Man's students are likely to have helped his sons. In any case Yip man's sons deserve honor. How many of us
have done anything for Yip Man --- when without him we would be doing something quite different. A muddled post ona muddled subject.

reneritchie
05-25-2002, 04:16 PM
Father's teaching their sons? I think that's the exception, not the rule. Most of the outstanding students of the WCK ancestors weren't the children (the Cho's and Fung's spring to mind as rare exceptions).

Often times children will not value what is right there, or will want their own identities. You see this often enough in the non-martial world, where a son or daughter takes a different career path than their parents.

Rgds,

RR

old jong
05-26-2002, 07:14 AM
You are so right Rene!...I know, I have two kids!

Mr Punch
05-26-2002, 07:31 AM
In one of my previous existances. I will soon be auctioning my whole several-thousand years' experience on e-bay. You, my KFO bros, can get in first if you make me an offer!;)

Isn't it usually the case that a receptive father will learn from his kids!! Dunno about in the mythical world of martial arts though, but I do know that my old man gets in far fewer fights when he goes out drinking with me :rolleyes: !!:D

hunt1
05-26-2002, 02:07 PM
All Yip Man students other than the most senior had a teacher other than Yip Man,their seniors.TST taught William Cheung,WSL taught bruce and hawkins etc.Yip Man liked to let a senior teach until he was interested in teaching the student.He even brought a helper with him when teaching private lessons.

The question may be who is your real teacher the one that shows you the basics or the one that shows you the finishing touches.If you are taught by a senior and the Sifu gives a few pointers every now and then who is your teacher.

I am not aware of anyone coming forward claiming to have taught the full system to Yip Chun at the same time i doubt Yip Man spent much time teaching him SLT.Yip Chun was certainly in a better position than most to ask his father a question or 2 and get a straight answer and a hands on demonstration.

In the end you have to decide to accept Yip Chuns WC or not.

yuanfen
05-26-2002, 04:11 PM
I agree with the thrust of what you said specially about Ip Chun.
But on the following statement you make:
-----------------------
All Yip Man students other than the most senior had a teacher other than Yip Man
---------------------------(All?)
There might be an overgeneralization. At least in one case that I know of Yip Man taught the person privately rather than have someone else teach them the slt. The arrangement with the private students varied- depending on the tuition and discussions involved.. This was before Yip Chun came to HK 1962 or so.
The active teaching years were between 1950 to 1962..
But from the standpoint of learning today my one quibble really doesnt matter. We spend too much time IMO dicussing lineage and not enough in discussing the art anyway. In the end it's not worth it or possible or necessary to change peoples' every perception, speculation, imagination or dogma. There still are people who believe that the earth is flat, that man hasnt gone to the moon or that a very hot place is awaiting my arrival.
The art is so great that if is lucky to grab one end and do the best they can with it they should go far.