PDA

View Full Version : When is it too late to work out? and more questions

BananaMan
05-26-2002, 06:57 AM
my weekend job is 1pm-midnight. its outside and i have lots of down time. theres a table near me, and a tree i can do pullups off of. but i usually never work out past 8pm. but i'm there till midnight. Is working out at 10pm over doing it? I'm going to bring a jumprope too soon. how much jumprope is too much? cause i figure i'll literally be jumproping a total of like 2 hours. I'll also be doing pushup and pullups. Anyone have any other exercises i could do? no situps though, i'm not gonna get dirty.
and one last question. when doing pullups on the tree, it really roughed up my hands. You think this is a good thing? maybe toughen the skin up? oh i think i'll do 'sticky hands' and other forearms on the tree too, toughen up my forearms a bit.
ok, thats all question for now. thanks for any ideas u come up with

Kungfu boy
05-26-2002, 02:21 PM
I don't think the time you work out matters that much. My hours are pretty nocturnal since my work schedule is for 11pm-4am. Right now I work out when I get up, but I used to work out till about 10pm. Of course when I did this I didn't get to sleep till 1am or so, needing some down time to calm down, take a shower etc.

As for the pull ups I don't do it on tree limps. I like my hands the way they are, their scarred enough from basic childhood.

If you can do jump rope for 2 hours go ahead. Just post here how you feel the next day. It might be interesting to hear.

Kempo Guy
05-26-2002, 09:05 PM
In terms of working out late, well, I do it all the time and it doesn't seem to affect me too much. I prefer working out in the morning, but usually don't get a chance to very often.

Pull ups must be one of the best bodyweight exercises you can do (besides pistols and janda sit ups imho). As long as your hands don't get too messed up, I'm sure they will callouse soon enough.

You mention jump ropes. Well, one great workout I just recently started is by utilizing jump ropes in a circuit training type of manner. For instance jumping for 1 - 2 minutes, then go straight to pushups (let's say 10 reps) and end it with pull-ups (5 reps). Do this circuit as many times as you can handle without any rest periods. :D It's similar to a HIIT routine, really....

If you have access to a kettlebell or a dumbbell, here's another variation. This is a workout I tried a couple of times last week, and it utilizes the same pattern as above but instead of push ups and pull ups, I do high-rep swings or snatches with a Kettlebell (a dumbbell may be used as well). This is a seriously wicked workout.

KG

BananaMan
05-26-2002, 09:32 PM
well i wouldnt be jumproping for 2 hours straight of course. i said the total time would be like 2 hours. 10 min here, 5 min there, etc... and i dont think bringing a kettle ball will look too good lol. i am near a sidewalk, so i think i'll start doing calve raises off that. was thinking of doing horse stances, but that'd look kinda funny in front of everyone.
ok, another question, since i'm getting all different answers. how long before u go to bed should u stop working out? 1 hour? 2 hours?

Liokault
05-27-2002, 12:57 PM
I tend to go running at 10.30pm ...its great as the air is much cooler and cleaner with less cars ect.

MUCH MUCH bigger chance of getting mugged / randomly stabed though.

Also a much bigger chance of being attaked by big stupid dogs as their owners sesm to think that its ok to take dogs that are not under controle out at 11pm as no one will be around. Just last week i ran past a guy who was about 5 foot tall walking 2 huge rhodesian ridgeback looking dogs. One really wanted to have a go at me and the guy was literaly holding it around its chest with the dog on its back legs (towering above its owner) trying to get to me. If the second dog also wanted to have a go at me then I can see no way this guy would have controled them.

Anyway...training late is good.

SevenStar
05-27-2002, 10:24 PM
ROFL!!! That will definitely make you NOT want to train at night. I am a night owl also. Training at night shouldn't pose any real problem, but do something to relax afterwards or you may have trouble sleeping.

IronFist
05-27-2002, 10:54 PM
The best time to work out is when you feel most like working out (and of course, when your schedule allows for it). Just remember, it's always a good idea to eat something after a workout. Personally, I would have a hard time doing a hard workout, eating a post workout meal, and then going to bed 5 minutes later. Working out and then not eating is bad. Working out and then going to bed without eating is VERY bad.

Good luck. I do like working out at night, btw. I feel stronger at night, partly because I have the extra energy of all the food I've eaten throughout the day. I used to go to bed at 2 or 3 am and I'd work out from 11pm-midnight and then come home and eat. It worked well for me.

It's all really a matter of preference/circumstances.

IronFist

Kungfu boy
05-28-2002, 03:32 AM
Look Liokault,

If ya have to dim mak a dog we won't judge you.(We'll laugh at you but not judge you....maybe) :D

Any ways I have had my dog encounter as well. It was a few years ago. I swear this thing looked like a Hell Hound! The dog was massive....I mean big, like the size of a buick! Well not really but he was big. I was just running a bit and was a little out of shape at the time so I was already tired. Then I see this dog about 100 meters away. He starts a full blast run at me barking really loudly. I bolted, I was just lucky I got over a fence before he got a piece of me. Surprised me, I didn't think I had that much energy left.

On the down side it wasn't my fence I jumped over. And I do LIVE in Texas so it was an interesting ordeal. There I was panting about to cough up a lung and this guy goes "You ain't from around here are ya boy?" Well not really either but lets just say some peoples southern hospitality need work. :p

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-30-2002, 12:21 PM
iron fist ... what exactly happens if you don't eat and go right to bed? is it just bad because there's no fuel to start repairing sh it or something?