PDA

View Full Version : Lovehandles...

chen zhen
05-26-2002, 11:17 AM
I'm a pretty normally-build guy, but I have some little love handles, which doesn't seem to wanna go away, which is annoying in my training(stretching, etc). Any one have a suggestion on how to get rid of them?

Ras-Tanu
05-26-2002, 02:15 PM
From what little information I know, here's the deal with lovehandles:

-You can't spot-reduce fat on your body.

-I think genetics has some role in the formation of lovehandles.

-Don't get liposuction.

-Check this article. It kinda has to do with the subject: Ab Flab (http://www.fitren.com/res3art.cfm?compid=18&artid=10)

-Wait for more informative posts.:)

RT

mortal
05-26-2002, 02:31 PM
Do 1 set of 30 fast cross over sit ups everyday and they will go away. When you come up touch your right elbow to the left knee and vice versa. Really focus on turning your waist when you do them. Do them as fast as you can. Even if you do that 3 times a week you would lose them. I had them bad I know. I even have little stretch marks were they used to be its sick. Almost forgot. Do NOt expect instant results. It should take 3 to 6 months of sit ups as described at that pace. Yes you can get rid of them! More training!

David Jamieson
05-26-2002, 02:34 PM
watch your diet and keep exercising.

to burn fat simply walk and breath. over exertion during exercise cause the heart rate to rise above the normal rate at which point you stop burning fat and start burning glycogens. glycogens are the immediate energy sources in your body, or more simply the food energy you have in you.

if you have a brisk walk everyday which gently raise the heart level and increases breath then you will shed the extra fat.

keep in mind that eating well is important. derive most of your energy from protiens instead of sugars and carbs.

keep away from processed foods, ultra sugar foods and fatty and salty foods.

while genetics has play in how you age, you have more control over your lifestyle which ultimately affects your fitrness levels and the health of your body.

peace

yearofdragon76
05-26-2002, 10:24 PM
of all the replys kung leks is the most accurate!That is the only way to lose the handles and keep them off.Sit-ups and crunches do nothing but give you great abs underneath the flab.You have to lose body fat to reduce your handles.

mortal
05-26-2002, 11:40 PM
I eat whatever I want and i lost 50 pounds since I started. Everyone is always comparing which answer is better, what style is better and whos teacher is better. Meanwhile the fact that I have direct experiance in losing my handles was overlooked.
In shaolin you are supposed to strain at the begininng thats the only way you get better. My fake monk Sifu's always stressed doing the exercises as fast as you can. Walking burns a decent amount of calories if you walk 50 miles a day. A brisk walk does little to nothing for love handles. Try what I said.
It is true that at first the muscle will be under the fat. Eventually it will convert to muscle. Most people out of sheer laziness never get rid of them. They blame the excersise.

IronFist
05-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by mortal
Do 1 set of 30 fast cross over sit ups everyday and they will go away.

Nope. The only way this would work is if his "1 set of 30 fast cross over sit ups" burned enough calories to eliminate the fat.

Really focus on turning your waist when you do them. Do them as fast as you can.

Sounds like spot reducing to me.

Walking burns a decent amount of calories if you walk 50 miles a day. A brisk walk does little to nothing for love handles.

Uh, situps, and weight training in general burns much, much FEWER calories than walking does.

It is true that at first the muscle will be under the fat. Eventually it will convert to muscle.

The fat will convert to muscle? Oh my gosh, you have been SERVERELY misinformed. I hope you are joking in your post.

IronFist

mortal
05-26-2002, 11:59 PM
I tryed to give constructive advice and you picked it apart like a know it all with a few beers in him. I hope your kidding with your smart ass answer. Face to face would be alot different my friend. You still ignored the fact that it worked for me. Why don't you highlight that and put it in your next negative post.

scotty1
05-27-2002, 06:09 AM
Uh-oh *ducks*

stoli
05-27-2002, 08:04 AM
Chill out mortal !!!!!

Seems to me Ironfist was just trying to be helpful, only stating the facts !!! There's always a lot of b#llsh#t posted about working out, including fat turning to muscle, spot reduction and ignoring diet when you want to lose weight!!

To lose weight whilst eating anything you want means either you have a healthy diet anyway or are genetically very lucky !!! Well done for doing it but that isn't gonna work for 99% of the population.

Anyway, chen zhen I would say a healthy diet, work out with weights (put on some muscle, you'll burn more calories), aerobics. With the aerobics you do need to raise your heart rate but don't go crazy. A good guide I find is that if you can't carry on a conversation whilst you're working on aerobics then you're above the optimum range for fat burning (please don't try this if you're swimming though !!!)

Well hope that helps and mortal you'll end up having a heart attack if you let posts upset you that much !!!! Maybe you should head to the Tai Chi board and hug some trees to calm you down!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D

Kumkuat
05-27-2002, 08:13 AM
My friend has an experience losing love handles too. You know what he did? he went to Japan for 6 months with me. Yeah, so by mortal's logic, everyone needs to go to Japan to lose love handles.

Anyway, the real reason was probably that we walked a lot, I mean a lot. I'm talking 45 minutes in the snow just to get to class. And that was just the beginning of the day too. We have to walk 45 minutes back from school to our dorm. Then if we ever want to go anywhere else we walked there. Bus fares were expensive, and we were too cheap to ride the bus. We shoulda bought bikes though. In addition to walking a lot, we definatly ate a lot less. We ate whatever we wanted, but it was in lower quantities because food was expensive for us there. I even lost 10 lbs because of it (my friend lost around 20). Not only that, we did lots of bodyweight exercises just to keep fit like push ups, situps, and pull ups. So see, to lose love handles, you have to diet, do cardio, and do some time of resistance training.

So whatever mortal was doing, he probably lost his love handles due to other stuff other than those insane (and useless) amounts of situps he does.

yearofdragon76
05-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Mortal i was not being negative..i was merely being factual...science and research has proven that you cannot spot reduce fat.Weight loss has much to do with genetics and metabolism.I am glad that the exercises worked for you! But it sounds to me like what it did was increase your already high metabolism(due to you eating anything you want) I just got out of the army and in the airborne infantry we do very tough ab work outs on a regular basis.The exercises vastly improved our sit -up count for our P.T. Test but nothing more.I have seen first had people with six packs fail there sit ups while heavier guys do the max with no problem.Therefore i say to you mine was not an attack just an answer based on fact for an overall view.In conclusion i had a soldier who had very little bodyfat..he had a six pack high definition in muscles Etc. He was a vegetarian an all he ate during the day was sweets and candy..alot of candy.He never gained fat although it works for him would you say i should honestly give someone the advice to eat like him?????

mortal
05-27-2002, 09:39 AM
ALL I SAID WAS DO SIT UPS! Everyone gang up on me.
Yeah go for a walk.lo That should get those love handles to go away in no time. What was I thinking. You should be going for leasurely walks. I haven't even begun to get mad. you aint seen nothing yet. I just don't like the lack of respect shown on this forum. This whole string has been picking my post apart. Your right I just made it up. I never lost my handles.
P.s. i have alot to contribute to any kungfu discussion. I am a kung fu enthusiast. I have seen people right things that I disagree with but I don't go around quoting every word making a big fedral case. The best part is the guys arguing probably have the biggest guts in the world...............

IronFist
05-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by mortal
I tryed to give constructive advice and you picked it apart like a know it all with a few beers in him. I hope your kidding with your smart ass answer. Face to face would be alot different my friend. You still ignored the fact that it worked for me. Why don't you highlight that and put it in your next negative post.

Ok. I highlighted it for you. Good?

I was not kidding with my smart ass answer. Here is my philosophy on helping people and posting here: I don't like false information to be passed around. When I was learning about fitness and diet and weights and stuff, a lot of very knowledgable people were very cool to me, and I'm hoping to pass the legit information along to people who genuinely want to learn. However, like everyone else, I also was told and read a lot of cráp from supposed "gurus" in the field. This cráp includes things like:

Upper and lower abs
Incline bench for upper pec development
Situps to reduce your waist size
High reps are for definition
Machines are safer than freeweights
Machines are for definition
Bigger muscles mean stronger muscles
Squats are bad for your knees
Deadlifts are bad for your lower back
etc.

(for clarity's sake, this list is composed of things that are FALSE but yet commonly believed fitness myths)

So, when I hear something that is completely wrong from an anatomical/biological perspective being given as "advice," I feel like I should correct what is being said so more people don't get bad information. It's the same as I would want someone to do for me.

So, when I can prove to you biologically that 1 set of 30 fast twisting situps or whatever you said will NOT reduce love handles, and that chemically speaking, fat CANNOT turn into muscle and vice versa, I will also step in and correct you.

If that makes me a **** or whatever, then oh well. Like I said, I'm just trying to pass on legit information.

ALL I SAID WAS DO SIT UPS! Everyone gang up on me.

Bullsh*t, dude. You said do situps and then said a bunch of stuff that was completely wrong.

Yeah go for a walk.lo That should get those love handles to go away in no time. What was I thinking. You should be going for leasurely walks.

Go do some research. Walking burns more calories than doing a set of 30 situps.

I haven't even begun to get mad. you aint seen nothing yet.

Is that a threat? Down boy.

I just don't like the lack of respect shown on this forum. This whole string has been picking my post apart.

What lack of respect? If you heard someone giving someone bad advice you wouldn't step in?

P.s. i have alot to contribute to any kungfu discussion. I am a kung fu enthusiast. I have seen people right things that I disagree with but I don't go around quoting every word making a big fedral case.

That's because you've probably never seen anyone say anything that is absolutely not true before. If I tell you the earth is flat, aren't you going to prove me wrong?

The best part is the guys arguing probably have the biggest guts in the world...............

Even if I was fat, I still know that situps won't get rid of a gut, and that fat can't turn into muscle. What's your point?

So, in conclusion, take a chill pill and participate constructively in discussion. Acknowledge the fact that everything you may have read or been told isn't necessarily true.

Not picking your post apart to be a jerk, I'm just refuting your attack on me.

IronFist

mortal
05-27-2002, 11:13 AM
No problem. Excuse me I didn't know you were a fitness guru.
You would have picked apart anything. I don't make threats I just start swinging. Anyone on this site who knows me knows thats true.

IronFist
05-27-2002, 12:17 PM
I'm not a fitness guru, I just know my shít. I only pick apart stuff that is blatantly wrong, especially when it's bad advice. I do it for the sake of helping the person who asked the question. It's what I would want someone to do for me if I said something that was wrong, too.

I don't mean it to me insulting, but I guess it sounds that way some times. Sorry if you took it wrong.

IronFist

Liokault
05-27-2002, 12:40 PM
No problem. Excuse me I didn't know you were a fitness guru.

You didnt know Ironfist was a fitness guru?.....where have you been? (even if he claims not to be one he is)

Liokault
05-27-2002, 12:42 PM
Ok question about spot fat reduction.

If you do lots of weights on a set area to "reduce" the fat on it and make the muscles bigger will it work by spreading the fat out over a bigger area or will the deapth of fat stay the same?

Royal Dragon
05-27-2002, 03:52 PM
I have always struggled with wieght, it runs in my family.

When ever "I" get serious about loosing, I hike 10-20 minutes, and then warm up, condition, drill basics (about 45 minutes), then I drill my forms for another 40-50 minutes. I use deep stances, and constant movement with NO breaks the whole time. I push untill I can't talk, and then back off just enoght so I can carry on a conversation without too much strain (but not too easy). then, I stretch wile I am still hot, and finnaly, I finnish by going for a hike for 2-3 more hours with little rest.

Once or twice a week, I hike for 4-6 hours with a 20 minute break for a light lunch somewhere in the middle, usually home made beef jerky I brought with me.

I feel the Kung Fu workout gets me in the "Fat Burning" mode, and the hike actually takes it off. The Kung fu alone works too, it just takes longer.

I have been known to go on solo camping trips, and come back 15 pounds lighter in 8 days this way. So long as I eat right, and maintain a good exercise scedual, it takes a couple of years for the wieght to come back. If I get lazy and don't train, or over work allot and skip on sleep, it's back in a few months.

Shadow Dragon
05-27-2002, 04:23 PM
Chen Zhen.

Your profile states that you are still in your teens, at that point I wouldn't worry about love-handles.

Once you get over 30 they tend to become a nuisance.

But either way good diet & a good training routine should take care of them.

Peace.

P.S.: What you got againt Love handles?? They can be great in the right Company. ;)

yearofdragon76
05-27-2002, 06:06 PM
Mortal I can see how you took some of iron fists post personnal however the rest of us were merely stating that although it worked for you it may not work for all and in all probability it wont work for most.We need to remember that this is a kung fu forum.It is a place to post views and counterviews you cant take everything personal..And it does seem to me that if we all practice martial arts than discussions should not turn to threats of violence...less we forget the true meaning of kung fu in the process...if someone ask a question he is entitled to all replies not just one and let him decide what to do...but I will say this and you may take it personal but your advise on lovehandles was legit and you are the proof that it worked for you..however it frightens me to think that a discussion turned to you talking about coming out swinging...i just would like to know do you study kung fu or just love it..neither is wrong but if you study you should think about your training because kung fu is not some club to use on people when there is a disagreement there is more to the wonders of kung fu then mere fighting....

Cyborg
05-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Ah yes, now that's what I love about MA! When someone disagrees with me I'll just beat him down!

Relax, you're only mortal like the rest of us. We all misinterpret things at times but don't get angry. You're not helping my perception of yankees.

IronFist
05-27-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Liokault
Ok question about spot fat reduction.

If you do lots of weights on a set area to "reduce" the fat on it and make the muscles bigger will it work by spreading the fat out over a bigger area or will the deapth of fat stay the same?

Liokault, thanks for the compliment above, but I think you misunderstand something. Spot reduction is not possible. Therefore, both of what you described are false, because it can't be done at all.

Let me try to elaborate on what you said, though. Hypothetically speaking, if you were to make the muscles in one area larger while keeping your total amount of body fat the same (same amount of fat MASS, not bodyfat %), then in theory, your lean mass would have increased while your bodyfat PERCENTAGE has gone down (because it's proportional to the amount of muscle you're carrying). This larger muscle, however, would not be visible if it is covered by a lot of fat. You would get bigger, but it wouldn't be defined or anything. I guess to answer your question, the depth of the fat would stay pretty much the same... any change would not be noticible.

So, if you have fat by your triceps (like lots of girls complain about having), and you were to do tons of tricep exercises to make your triceps huge, they would still be huge UNDER all the fat. The muscle would push on the fat. To reduce fat you must burn it off. Lifting weights doesn't really burn enough calories to make a difference.

Make sense?

IronFist

Okami
05-27-2002, 10:25 PM
Somebody videotape this so we can sell it on pay-per-view and get rich.

I actually picked up a little case of love-handles while doing a few months of military training that took me away from martial-arts training. Once I got back into MA training they went away in a few months.

I think it was throwing dozens of spinning kicks on a heavy bag as hard as I could muster. Then again it could be something else.

05-28-2002, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
watch your diet and keep exercising.

to burn fat simply walk and breath. over exertion during exercise cause the heart rate to rise above the normal rate at which point you stop burning fat and start burning glycogens. glycogens are the immediate energy sources in your body, or more simply the food energy you have in you.

peace

I have read conflicting advice on fat burning. You can summarise three distinct positions - the first being the above.

The second being that burning fat (rather than other energy sources) is important but that you still do that better exercising more intensively. eg.

Quote from an internet site on fitness.

"For example, a 30 minute walk will burn 70 per cent of the calories from fat, but that is only 70 calories of fat. A moderate jog for 30 minutes will burn 300 calories, and 50 per cent of those calories will be from fat. But the total burned is twice as much".

The third position would be that it is simply a matter of calories in minus calories burned that dictates your weight.

My own experience is that running or cycling is a far better way of burning fat than walking - from which I infer the latter two positions are more likely to be the truth than the former. Anyone got any comments?

triad
05-28-2002, 07:45 PM
I think the easiest way of summing this up is if you want to get ripped your calories being burned must exceed your calories being taken in. It doesn't matter if you walk, run train kung fu, swim....if you trained like a madman and burned 4000 calories in a day but you consumed 5000 calories that same day, you will gain weight and not look ripped.

yu shan
05-28-2002, 08:40 PM
What does that imply about military training? Army and Navy dudes are softies...yet recon, rangers and seals are real. No handles there.

yearofdragon76
05-28-2002, 09:28 PM
Yu Shan obviously you have never worked with rangers...My squad leader was a ranger and i have trained and performed with rangers...let me tell you there are handles! The fact is a ripped look just makes you look in shape and make you feel and look better about yourself...the army isnt concerned with abs or pecs of you can carry a rifle with a 130 lbs ruck on your back and move for over 24 hours straight then be able to still kill the enemy then your in shape...I know this because ive done it with and without lovehandles and let me tell you having handles or not makes no difference...there are alot of ripped ab out of shape people who just had good Genes.......

Oh and no offense yu shan Its the Army Rangers and Navy seals so obviously not the whole Army and the whole Navy are softies......

Everyone in the combat arms has to prove their worth daily.....lovehandles or not!!

God Bless The USA and those who protect her!!!

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-30-2002, 09:35 AM
mortal . .. no one has attacked you, you big fu cking baby. jesus christ you pi ss and moan worse than my fu cking 2 year old. i hope that you are still in your teens cause any grown man that acts like you do needs a bleach enima. all people said was that what worked for you will not work for most people because of simple principles of physiology and you got to go and be a di ck. co ck sucking mo ther fu cker. you gonna come on swinging at me? i don't give a fu ck. i wouldn't even waste my time with a little punk such as yourself. you ever just started swining at me i'd shoot you in the throat and rape the wound. bi tch.

there. now you have been verbily attacked on the forum and actually have a reason to bi tch.

Hau Tien
05-30-2002, 09:51 AM
How very very cool, GDA. I hope you're pleased. You've taken this thread to an all-new low.

Regardless of how lame one person is, dropping to the level of that person is ridiculous. And it makes you look like a fool.

I browse this forum several times a day... and am very disappointed by the absolutely infantile behavior I've seen amongst some of the so-called "martial artists" on this board.

You "children" may very well be able to fight... I can't comment on that... but think how your post portrays you before you post. Use your heads.

Of course, there are many people who aren't like this that do post here, but I'm seeing a disturbing trend towards the above sort of post, and I've not even been here that long.

Just... grow up, I guess.

Hau Tien

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-30-2002, 10:02 AM
"How very very cool, GDA."

thanks man. :)

Kumkuat
05-30-2002, 10:02 AM
I like the bit about raping the wound. I have to steal that.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-30-2002, 10:13 AM
kumkuat . . i liked it too. i just don't like seeing people ****ing with iron fist. no one said what mortal did didn't work for him, just that there are more efficient ways for the majority. and he talks about swinging on someone . .. christ. i better watch my back though. fu cker probably gonna track me down and come at me with the retard strength.

btw Hau Tien . ... i thought i saw your name around for a while, but maybe i'm mistaken. either way you'll just have to get used to my offensive nature or put me on your ignore list. i can't help it man . .. i'm no differant in real life. it makes me proud to think that i can still make friends i have known for more than a decade gag in disgust. just a wierd sense of humor that i rarely put a cap on. i think it's pretty cool when people hate me for it, but i like it better when they laugh.

mortal
05-30-2002, 10:18 AM
GDA

lolol You said one thing thats correct. You would have to shoot me...............
Your so well spoken. I wonder what University you attended.
You should wash your toothless mouth out with soap. You have offspring? What a tragedy!lolol
I look forward to your next round of mindless insults.
Your just mad because you are an eternal white belt!

Hau Tien
05-30-2002, 10:20 AM
I don't hate you for it. I simply think it makes you look like a fool. I've read other posts by you that indicate you are NOT a fool, which is why it makes me sad to see you behave in such a way.

I've been around this forum for a little while... but by no means as long as many here.

You don't disgust me, either... that throat wound thing is so very incredibly old.

I suppose the "worst" thing about your post is that you insult mortal for being a child, then behave just as childish (if not worse) than he did.

*shrug* Just my opinion.

Hau Tien

Hau Tien
05-30-2002, 10:24 AM
Of course, mortal himself doesn't seem to know when to quit.

Mortal... insulting people for their communication skills when you spell and use punctuation like a four year old makes you look really dumb.

*shakes his head*

Ah well... what began as a somewhat interesting thread has since degraded to the point when there is no point in reading it.

Time to move on;)

Hau Tien

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-30-2002, 11:22 AM
Hau Tien . .. "lolol . .. lolol" see ... even mortal thought it was funny. what a guy. i don't blame him for a rebuke though . .. i was just expecting something more entertaining.

i didn't know that the raping of a shot wound to the throat was old . . . just kinda came out and i thought it was funny. i dunno man .. . i'm not gonna argue the maturity of that type of post, but some people do find humor in it. especially me ... an that's what's most important.

if you would like this to get back to the topic, i would like to see some debate on running vs. walking. i hate running, and will walk up hill before running any day, but the whole greater total (of fat burned) exceeds greater percentage argument makes alot of sense.

mortal . .. it's not tragic that i have reproduced it's fu cking terrifying. mystifies me to this day. the worst part is that she's not going to be limited by being ugly like i am. she's a little doll baby. i have high hopes for my kid like any parent, and i just hope that she will have the charisma to match her looks so that one day she could be develope into the antichrist .. . or the next hitler even.

"You should wash your toothless mouth out with soap"

and i do, but only after i let elderly women tinkle in it.

"I look forward to your next round of mindless insults."

then i'm not going to give you any pig fu cker.

"Your just mad because you are an eternal white belt!"

i'm .... you fu cking ... well at my school . .. da mnit. you're right i suck.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-30-2002, 11:44 AM
"I suppose the "worst" thing about your post is that you insult mortal for being a child, then behave just as childish (if not worse) than he did. "

that's a big part of what's funny. i could have summed it up better by saying just that i guess.

yu shan
05-30-2002, 04:33 PM
Sorry if I stepped on some toes yearofdragon76. Bottom line here is, thanks for your service to our Great Country! You are respected!

yearofdragon76
05-30-2002, 07:13 PM
No offense takan yu shan..I just like to let people know the truth ...alot of people support the military and love watching saving private ryan but dont know really what it takes and what you have to give up when you serve in the military and especially in the combat arms

Not all of us come out of the army looking like the Ex-ranger and now pro wrestler saturn! LOL

But I will say this POG's (person other than grunt) In any service are a bunch of softies and give a bad example of being fit and in the army!:) :D :cool:

yearofdragon76
05-30-2002, 07:24 PM
To all who are using the verbal attacks...I will only place this one reply on this subject.

I take Kung fu and martial arts to the heart....I have put in alot of time and effort into it and gotten so much more out of it....and if I was in it just so I could talk tough without fear of retaliation because I knew I could defeat them in combat than i would have quit along time ago...I have never met a student who was intrested in just being able to kick somones but stick with the training long enough to do it!

Shaolin was designed not so that the monks could go to the marketplace and kick the crap out of the vendor if he attempted to swindle him......yes the martial arts have been further developed for warfare..Hince (martial) art ..but those days it was needed to survive or use in the army!
I know that not all feel the same towards tha ART as I do..but it stills upsets me to see people act this way on a martial arts forum I like discussions but violence and namecalling I left in school and in the military.
If I wanted immature rantings i will go on yahoo chat ..
I hope we can all just debate and discuss as human beings not as animals

yu shan
05-30-2002, 07:34 PM
Grew up in a family of jar-heads, 3 wars, feel your patriotism. Train hard Year, train hard!

David Jamieson
05-31-2002, 09:55 PM
yat yee sam say ng - :D

If a person is very fit they can exercise vigourosly without raising their heart rates over the level where the body stops burning fat and therefore they will absolutely lose fat by running or cycling, they will also gain cardio endurance and muscle tone.

In fact, the will lose overall body mass in the actual doing of exercise. This is primarily water and food and fat either in stored state or in transformative state. When the body is really pushing it, the energy expressed in heat and motion (physical activity) is because the body is using "immediate" and available energy. This will come more readily from the body liquids (blood, water, glucose, etc) and food that is in the stomach or intestinal tract in the process of digestion (transformational chi :) ).

If you are person of "average" fitness, this is more often than not, not the case.

The food in, fat burned equation doesn't work to well and streams of diet programs coming and going have proven that. Exercise is absolutely necessary in the good maintenance of the body. Over exertion is not the most efficient way to burn fat. it is a great way to win a race though.

Anyway, the Gatoraid company did the research on this to assess the product they were going to market. I am of the understanding that current views do not conflict with the research. And personally, in my experience and through people I have known, walking is the way to do it efficiently. The patience is up to you.

peace

The

IronFist
05-31-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
Exercise is absolutely necessary in the good maintenance of the body.

If by "good maintenance" you mean "staying thin," then your statement isn't true. Ectomorphs can eat whatever they want and not ever be fat.

But, if by "good maintenance" you mean like "athletic," then yeah, you're right. If you don't exercise you will not be able to perform well athletically.

But just to play devils advocate, there are some larger people who are in very good cardio shape, and there are some people with ripped abs who cannot run a mile.

So many combinations.

However, this is why for most people the choice is "maximize my performance or maximize my aesthetic look." For some, the actions required to have a ripped six pack, for example, may detract from their peak performance in, say, squatting. And vice versa. Or, if someone chooses to be a bodybuilder they are most likely lowering their potential bench, squat and deadlift when compared with that same person choosing to be a powerlifter. However, the trade off is their physique.

That being said, anyone can work on one thing or another, and you can always strive for a happy medium. Or, you can do like the pro bodybuilders and only be ripped for a few weeks/months out of the year :D

IronFist

David Jamieson
06-01-2002, 06:45 AM
by good maintenance, I only mean, good maintenance.

peace

chen zhen
06-01-2002, 10:20 AM
Wow, this one has really gone off-topic...
Anyway, thanks for the replies:)