PDA

View Full Version : EMS Machines

DelicateSound
05-26-2002, 11:49 AM
I've always been a cynic [who gets something for nothing?] but I have a friend who swears by EMS - in conjunction with normal weight routine.

Anyone here able to tell me more?

Much appreciated :)

IronFist
05-26-2002, 11:44 PM
Are those those things that shock your muscles? Booooo. Besides, if your bodyfat isn't low to begin with I wonder if the current could make it through the fat?

Honestly, I have no idea because I've never used one, however, I am fairly certain that the claims they advertise are taken out of context because these machines have been used to prevent atrophy in patients in comas or injured people or something. Their "600% muscle increase" (or whatever they say) is NOT talking about in active people or athletes.

IronFist

ged
05-26-2002, 11:48 PM
ive heard they're good for working the lower abs though.

*covers head and runs for cover*

DelicateSound
05-27-2002, 11:58 AM
TTT

SevenStar
05-27-2002, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't bother with them. the contraction they cause is too weak to be of any significance.

IronFist
05-27-2002, 12:20 PM
ged, I've heard that, too :D

IronFist

Cyborg
05-27-2002, 07:17 PM
Irons right, normal healthy people don't need them. And the ones they sell from infomercials in the wee hours of the morning are too weak to do any good.

You can get a good one like an Amrex or equivalent IF you are a licensed therapist, doctor, or have a docs prescription. Don't waste your money unless you have a serious imbalance. Even then you'll want to have proper skeletal alignment BEFORE you use it, which chiropractors never do, they always use it first... bad idea, that only increases the muscular imbalance.

And yes, high bodyfat severely impedes the flow of electricity.

Cynic: to be cynical, negative, has to have it proven before you'll believe it. (Cyborg is not affiliated with Websters!)

Silumkid
05-27-2002, 08:14 PM
Iron and Cyborg,

Right on track, fellas! As stated, the "600% increase" is indeed for physical therapy application, and even then I think the stat is a bit overblown. After I broke both forearm bones in my left arm, I was in a cast for about 12 weeks. The original cast came too loose once the swelling went down...but that's besides the point. With use of an EMS machine, I still had to go through over a year of therapy before my wrist could bend beyond 5-10 degrees.

In normal healty muscle, the effect of EMS is darn near negligible.

Fat is a poor conductor is electricity, also stated. This is how the "electric bodyfat testers" work. You grasp the handles after inputting your vital stats and the machine times how long it takes for a mild current to travel through your body and back to the machine. The theory is that lean mass holds water, fat does not, thus creating a basis for calculation. However, it states in no uncertain terms on the machine itself..."Accuracy can range from +/- 3 to 5 percent and will not be accurate at all for overly obese or overly muscular individuals."

If we can't even accurately test bodyfat with electro stimulus, how can we exercise a muscle properly with it?

SevenStar
05-27-2002, 10:13 PM
Not true. My chiropractor does the alignment first then the EMS - always has.

Originally posted by Cyborg
... Even then you'll want to have proper skeletal alignment BEFORE you use it, which chiropractors never do, they always use it first... bad idea, that only increases the muscular imbalance.

And yes, high bodyfat severely impedes the flow of electricity.

Cynic: to be cynical, negative, has to have it proven before you'll believe it. (Cyborg is not affiliated with Websters!) [/B]

Cyborg
05-28-2002, 05:38 AM
Glad to hear it. Unfortunately, he's the first one that I've heard of that does that. I went to many and spent thousands which is why you may have detected some bitterness in that post.

DelicateSound
05-28-2002, 03:51 PM
Come on! They're used by people like Bruce Lee and Daley Thompson!

DALEY THOMPSON!!

OK I admit. It was a long shot. Does this mean I'll have to do some serious work over summer?....................:(