PDA

View Full Version : To analyse or not?

scotty1
05-27-2002, 04:59 AM
I have started doing Chi Kung and I have noticed that with everything, the postures etc. I have got a lot of questions.

Why does this posture encourage chi flow etc, what is it that ACTUALLY gets it flowing?
When we say it builds Chi, how does a posture build chi, really?

Do you think this is becuase we are approaching something not of our culture with a Western scientific, analytical mind?

Is it something to be analysed? I read on a thread the other day that if you asked an old Chinese master some of these questions he would shrug and say "don't know". Just practice, and you will feel it in time. When you do, you don't ask any more questions.

Which approach do you take?

Shadow Dragon
05-27-2002, 05:14 AM
Scotty1.

Which Chi-Kung you doing at the moment, this might help us answer your questions.

As for your question, there are many opinions out there.

Personally, I can testify for the "just Train and you feel in time" approach as this is the way I was taught.

But than I think that too much discussion and so on can be counter-productive as it might leadyou to imagine/feel results that are not there.

Best approach, IMO, find a good Teacher.

Peace.

scotty1
05-27-2002, 05:23 AM
This is what I thought SD. I am doing Zhan Zhuang.
I did 100 days (or more) Wuxi stance only and then started the posture at the beginning of April.
BTW, I just did a search and found the following:

"Now, as regards theory and the study of qigong: I always like to fall back on the sage words of Confucius - a little knowledge makes you respected, and a lot makes a slave of you. I have a novel approach to the quandary of whether or not to delve into theory: I say leave it alone until you have gained skill and ability. There is, in my opinion, way too much theory. Too many chefs as it were. The practice and principles of Qigong are embodied in a few basic theories that are very simple, types of advice that are basically common sense, but applied to energy. When people start out trying to theorize, the practice soon gets lost in a quagmire of archaic terms and "hidden" meanings.

So, in your quest to build energy, and use it for martial art or for healing, adhere to the K.I.S.S. principle, and leave theory to others who are hell bent on researching something to pieces. Qigong is something that one never finds an end to when it comes to gaining ability, health and well being. "

that seems to agree with what I have heard so far too.

I understand about meridians, blockages and harmonious energy flow. I understand that prenatal chi (Jing) is finite, and that I am trying to build postnatal chi. Maybe this is all I need to know for the moment?

dezhen2001
05-27-2002, 05:51 AM
alrite mate :)

When i started learning Qigong, and heck even now, i really don't worry too much about the theory at all... i worry more about getting the movement/posture correct and relaxing. It's already hard enough to do!
If i'm worrying about this connects this point to this channel or whatever, then personally that would hinder me relaxing and flowing with the movement.

Also i've seen a number of people come to some of my Sifu and even Sigongs seminars and ask things like: 'how should i be visualising the qi?' or 'doing this connects to which point?'... usually the response is to not worry so much about it and be like Nike ('just do it') :)

You get the benefits form practise, not knowing the theory... so i just practise..

david

scotty1
05-28-2002, 12:14 AM
Cheers boys.

I'll just get on with it then!!

guohuen
05-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Break analyse down to it's sylables and you have my take on it.

Nexus
05-28-2002, 12:47 PM
I definetely support analyzing it, just not "while" you are doing it!

If you remember, t'ai chi is based off of the I-Ching. This means that some very wise folks did some very indepth analyzing of the I-Ching to develop the taoist principles, t'ai chi itself, the postures of t'ai chi, the energies and so forth.

Same goes for Pa Gua as we see the Eight Trigrams "Pa Gua" all over the web.

Learn about the meridians each posture/movement is activating, the organs it is associated with, the seasons, the elements, is it yin, is it yang, and so on. There is a ton of great information worth analyzing and all of it can add more depth to the art you practice and the movements you do. That information will help you internalize it as well on a conceptual level as well as physical.

- Nexus

Scott R. Brown
05-29-2002, 09:39 AM
There is value in both analyzing and not analyzing and there are also pitfalls attached to each. The purpose of “just doing it” is that learning grows from within you as a tree grows; from the inside out according to its nature. The benefit is an inner intuitive sensing of proper chi flow, the detriment is you cannot express what you know and cannot fully understand what you are doing. You just know that it works.

The analysis method provides the benefit of complete understanding and the ability to express the knowledge comprehensively. You know why it works and can communicate this to others. The detriment is that often analyzers lose the sense, or feel of the art because they may focus so much on detail they lose the holistic and intuitive perspective.

The Yin-Yang illustrates that a balance between two extremes will bring equilibrium. Therefore, balance between these two approaches is of the most benefit.

Some instructors have the answers, but want the student to learn from the inside out, others have no idea what the answers to your questions are. Still others would like their students to transcend their intellect and “sense” chi movement instead of “thinking” about chi movement

Ultimately there is no secret or magical reason for any of the postures, exercises or movements. A comprehensive study of the many styles of Chi Kung will illustrate innumerable and variously differing forms, movements, postures and exercises. The underlying commonality of all of these is not their physical aspects, but the use of the mind to facilitate chi cultivation, flow and balance within the body. A proper use of the mind can overcome any obstruction caused by physical limitations. Thus even a quadriplegic may cultivate chi, without ever using their body to facilitate its flow.