PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi in SE Queensland??

Taone
05-27-2002, 05:15 AM
I've become quite curious about Tai Chi of late, and I was wondering if anyone could direct me to any schools or teachers in the Brisbane area.
I know of a few, but most seem to be sort of 'gentle exercise in the park for arthritis and old people' :) No criticism intended.
Anyone know of any schools/teachers with a more martial focus to it??

MaFuYee
05-27-2002, 07:56 AM
i don't know about people who are good in aussieland, but i can tell you who to avoid like the plague! - his initials are e.m.

* isn't chen xiao wang teaching in AU?

yeah, i know, chen style ain't really "tai chi"... but, at least he's supposed to be decent.

dezhen2001
05-27-2002, 09:01 AM
:confused: why isn't chen style 'tai chi'? :confused:

david

Walter Joyce
10-23-2002, 12:32 PM
AFAIK Chen style is the original style of taiji, FWIW. Yang Lu Chan learned from the Chens and both Wu styles are derived from Yang, Sun is derived from one of the Wu styles. Which makes every style of taiji mentioned above derivative of Chen.
Although I have to admit I'm not sure of the origins of Chen Pan Ling's form.

Azure
10-23-2002, 03:02 PM
I know chen xiao wang lives in Sydeny. I am going back there soon and was wondering if anyone knows if he has a school there? Or could they recommened a school in the Sydney area?

Sorry to put this your thread Taone, but i'm sure there is only so many tai chi school in Aus threads this forum can take =p

Any input would be apreciated.

TaoBoy
10-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Walter Joyce
AFAIK Chen style is the original style of taiji, FWIW. Yang Lu Chan learned from the Chens and both Wu styles are derived from Yang, Sun is derived from one of the Wu styles. Which makes every style of taiji mentioned above derivative of Chen.
Although I have to admit I'm not sure of the origins of Chen Pan Ling's form.

Chen is the first 'family' style. Tai Ji existed long before the Chen family.

In fact, I have learned one of the ancient forms. My old teacher never names a style because he says it is the style that existed before the families. Interesting.

joedoe
10-23-2002, 04:40 PM
Whatever you do, don't go to Gary Koh's Tai Chi Academy. I have heard a lot of bad stories from ex-instructors.