PDA

View Full Version : Inherited talents vs Acquired talents

steelpagoda
05-18-2001, 10:29 PM
Does one have to be born with a certain physical skill level in order to become good at a given style of Kung Fu, or can anyone, of any physical skill level, be good if they work hard? I'm wondering because, I know I'm not the most graceful person around, but neither am I the most clumsy. I could also stand to lose a few pounds. I've recently been thinking about joining a Kung Fu school, but I'm not sure if I could cut it. When I watch martial arts being performed, particularly Kung Fu, it seems so graceful, and fluid. Can this be taught to someone who was born with two left feet and two right hands? ;) Let me know. Thanks!

Prairie
05-18-2001, 11:33 PM
Hard work will make up for a lack of natural talent. However, don't assume that you lack talent. You may well be surprized.

Few people start off knowing how to move in the style of their chosen art.

honorisc
05-24-2001, 02:25 PM
Assurance: theoretically there have been people who were sickly, lacking high coordination or weak or a combiation~ of these. Some of those people might have gone on to be the instructors of that System. Likely because they couldn't take much for granted to progress. So, they learned nuances that healthier more coordinated students overlooked or disregarded. In some cases they had to pay attention better because they needed more to make the stuff work~. So (needle and thread) they drew upon the instructions they were given. Perhaps they practiced more. They found the meaning within the phrases of their instructions that allowed them the insight to excell.

Thought: It would be worth, at least trying that Kung-Fu. And if you leave to be happier somewhere else, then you would have perhaps gotten greater understanding that would help you better understand what you were being asked to do freeing you to get even greater understanding to allow the Kung-Fu to help you.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Internal Flow
05-25-2001, 07:16 AM
Lack of physical skills (if it exists) can well be replaced by agility , power etc. But the most important when someone starts learning a martial art, is hard training, inside and outside the school, dedication to his art, coming in contact with the philosofy of it, and not think of what he is doing just as a hobbie , or a way to pass his free time. If someone is serious about what he is doing and determined to achieve it, he cant fail. :p

inyo
05-26-2001, 07:49 AM
No,yes,yes. :) :) :)