PDA

View Full Version : Update on my progress

IronFist
05-27-2002, 12:05 PM
How's your partner training coming on? Keep us informed!!

Thanks for asking. I've met up with my buddy twice now. I'm trying to get him accustomed to WC punching (he's done TKD for years). We've been doing single hand chi sao, lop sao drills, and each time we meet (twice a week for now) we concentrate on a few particular techniques. Yesterday we were doing pak sao and bong sao. I showed him pak da and bong sao lop da, and then we combined those into a drill using both of them. We went slowly at first, and worked up to pretty fast (but not full contact or anything). We're both cool with going fast and with power because we've both had MA experience for years when we were younger.

I figure in a month or so we can go on to double hand chi sao. We can do it now with no attacking or anything, but we suck so we're sticking to single hand.

Hopefully within the next month or so I can get some pics up (at least of myself) and you guys can see my form.

As for my solo training, that's going pretty well, too, but after working on WC with a partner I can see why everyone is all chi sao crazy. My solo MA training looks like this for now:

Warm up (not really, I believe in being ready to go at any time, which shouldn't require "warming up," a concept I got from Pavel).
Iron Bridge on two chairs for a while, adding a breath or two per day. I suck though, and I'm only up to like 40 or 50 seconds.
SLT 2 or 3 times in the beginning. I guess this could be called a warm up. I do it in front of a big mirror to check my form.
Wallbag training: I do 2 sets of 40 punches on each hand (so like, left, right, that's one, etc.). I'll add like 5 or 10 every couple of days until I get to like 2 sets of 50 or 100. How many do you think is good?
Technique training: In front of a mirror I'll work on stuff like stances, pak da, bong sao lop da, tan da, gan da. All the techniques I just mentioned in YJKYM, turning, and in a fighting stance. Then on the dummy (not by the mirror) I'll work on those techniques and whatever else I feel like doing. I have a tape with the dummy form but I don't like the tape so I probably won't learn from that one. I've also got a Paul Vunak JKD dummy tape which has some cool stuf in it which I can apply.
Periodically throughout my training I throw in stuff like one legged squats (because I feel guilty for taking time off from weight lifting). At the end, when my legs aren't sore, I do Hindu squats, but while my legs are somewhat powerful, they seriously lack endurance so I really suck at these (I get sore from not very many).
Oh yeah, also, air punching. I suck at this too, as I am only able to do 3 sets of 50 (each hand). Whatever, I'll get better in time.
Then just whatever else I feel like doing, one hand pushups, janda situps, ab wheel, other stuff.

Soon I'll resume lifting again. I wonder how much strength I've lost.

Did anyone read this whole thing? Haha. Well, that's an update on my progress. Comments welcome.

IronFist

S.Teebas
05-27-2002, 01:46 PM
ironfist...

Whos SLT do you do? ..or do you take bits u like from different ones?

IronFist
05-27-2002, 02:49 PM
I do it the way WSL does it on his video. I've heard that he did it differently on this video than how he actually does it, but I've also got copies of Yip Chun and Augustine Fong doing SLT so I can use theirs for reference as well.

Basically, the thing that sets the way I do it apart from most other's that I've seen is after the pak sao part, it goes tan sao, jum sao, tan sao, strike, and then tan sao, gaan sao, tan sao, strike. Everyone else's I've seen doesn't have the gaan sao part. But, I like it in there so I keep it. I think it's more complete this way.

I was told (by someone here) that after WSL had a problem with a low attack, Yip Man (I think that was his teacher) showed him SLT with the added gaan sao, and so that's why he does it that way.

The other things I've noticed that are different are at the end of SLT, the number of grip breaks (I can't remember the name, it's the part where you slide your hand over your other hand) and the number of straight punches at the end. Most people seem to do 4 grip breaks and 3 punches, but on the video WSL does 3 grip breaks and 4 punches. I think that way is more balanced. Only doing 3 punches is not equal for each arm. Although I guess you could add as many of either as you wanted.

I've heard some people punch for 5(!) or 10(!!) minutes at the completion of SLT.

IronFist

tri2bmt
05-27-2002, 06:18 PM
What's the iron bridge thing with the chairs?

IronFist
05-27-2002, 07:01 PM
I think it's also called iron board or something like that.

Take two chairs and put one against a wall. Put them far enough apart that you can put your head on one and your heels on the other. Then lay in that position, making sure your back is not sagging, for a while. You will totally feel it in your lower back and neck. If you can't do it, start with your shoulder blades on the chair instead of your neck. Maybe bring the chair for your feet closer, too, so that your legs rest up to your knees.

I know a guy who can lay like that for an hour with 4 (I think) 45lb plates resting on his stomach.

IronFist

scotty1
05-28-2002, 05:28 AM
My family does that as a drunken challenge at Christmas!!

You have to pass a pillow around your body as many times as you can.

I won.

Also, it makes your neck hurt like a bastid the next day.