PDA

View Full Version : Here's the problem....

Ryu
05-27-2002, 02:00 PM
I don't know what the heck I practice anymore. (Warning, the following are my opinions so don't get offended at anything)

I don't know what I practice. :( It has no name. I know what I like and what I don't like. Let me give you an example.

I love judo, but I don't think I can call what I do judo if I no longer train exclusively in judo.

I love BJJ, but I want something (whether wrong or right) a bit more geared towards a 'budo' way of thinking as well.

I really like the philosophy of ninpo (but I don't feel a lot of techniques are that effective realistically... AT LEAST FOR ME :D remember no offense here...)

I like JKD, but the damm politics have eaten it alive. Anyone who accidently says out loud the term "JKD" better have a shotgun ready to fight off the wave of anger soon to come his way. Plus JKD has the image of straighblasting and the plumb position...both which I don't use much of these days.

I enjoy and respect a lot of the "street" "reality" systems out there, but there's too much of a pseudo-tough guy mentality with a lot of them and that's just not for me. I'm not a tough guy.
I'm probably not even tough enough to be a "pseudo-tough guy" :D

I love MMA training, but I don't want to fight in a cage or compete in UFC to "prove my training works" I prove it when I can win against resistent opponents from different skill levels. Plus it seems like MMA these days makes you dive into a world of tough talk and endless challenge matches..... see reason above.

Well there you have it.
I don't know what the heck I "train" anymore. I have pretty solid skills because I have been training whatever it is for a long time now... but what to call it alludes me. And it's a bit frustrating at the same time. What do I say if someone asks what I study??

May seem like a trivial question, but oh well.

Ryu

KC Elbows
05-27-2002, 02:17 PM
Sounds like you are a martial artist.

Here's an idea. Just translate "A way of fighting while at the same time being a nice person" into japanese. If they say "I've never heard of that", just tell them its pretty rare.

DelicateSound
05-27-2002, 02:32 PM
I have the same thing Ryu! :D

I love Judo, but I feel that the sport-orientated focus is too limited. I hate competition.

I love really traditional arts [mainly Wing Chun] but I'm apprehensive about training as I'm not sure if the lack of sparring will keep me street-ready.

I liked the competitive simplicity of my Kickboxing, but hated the lack of tradition in the art. Just felt too shallow.

I'm not sure if I want to fully crosstrain as I would love to be able to connect fully with one art, and to absorb its principles, master its form.

EEK!

Dark Knight
05-27-2002, 02:38 PM
Welcome to the world of experience. You have enough that you realize too many things now, (Knowledge is dangerous)

Im in the same boat. I teach a base style, but I hold black belts in a couple. I dont say I do a certain style because then everyone wants to catagorize you as a way of fighting (All I have to do is....to beat you/over come you)

I dont claim to be a Soke, and everyone and their brother is. Its a difficult stage after a certain amount of experience, you are developing in a natural manner that is best for you, your style is changeing with you. (Dark Knight - Ryu) You havent really developed a new style, but it is definetly you.

We all go through this eventually, and its hard to explain to someone who does not have a lot of experience.

Royal Dragon
05-27-2002, 03:24 PM
Qin Leung Quan

It means "Royal Dragon Fist". That way, I don't have to explain learning Shaolin under several different teachers, some in schools, and others in thier homes, back yards and basements and Tai Tzu under yet another teacher, as well as Tai Chi and dabbled in Bagua, Judo, Akido and bits and peices of Kempo and if I go far enough back even a generic Karate system, and of course High school wrestling.

You could call your system Ryu Quan, "Ryu Fist"

How about Ryu Fa, "Ryu Method"

Or if you want something fancier, Tai Ryu Fa, "Grand Ryu Method"

Or how about Tai Ryu Chuan Fa, "Grand/Great Ryu's Fist Method"

Or Ryu Chi Chaun Fa, " Ryu's Ultimate Fist Method"

DelicateSound
05-27-2002, 03:28 PM
Isn't Ryu Japanese for "school"? Capcom are weird....

Shadow Dragon
05-27-2002, 04:14 PM
DS.

It depends on which character is used, there ae multiple ones with a writing called "Ryu".

The one you mean means more style than school, with Ryu-Ha being a sub-style within.

Peace.

Ryu
05-27-2002, 04:28 PM
Shadow Dragon's correct. "Ryu" can also mean "dragon" as well depending on how the character is written. In the SF series...I'm pretty sure Ryu's name is depicting dragon rather then style. .... At least I hope :D

Thanks for the support guys. It is frustrating, even though it sounds almost funny to write it.

How bout I call myself a judo-styled, BJJ dabbing, Jeet Kune Do, ground and pound, sucker-punching neo ninja?

:D

Or not.......

I suppose if I would call it anything, it be geared towards JKD?
Everyone's so p1ssed at everyone else in that community it wouldn't matter what I called it because I'd probably fit right in LOL

Ryu

SevenStar
05-27-2002, 09:37 PM
you train in Ryu's style. call it what you wish. I am faced with the same thing. I trained in Jun Fan, Kali and karate over the span of several years, but my main focus was karate. I then trained solely in grappling and muay thai. For the past four years or so I have been strictly CMA - but I am starting to see that longfist isn't completely me, so even though I still train it, I have also began training in judo and shuai chiao.These two arts are and muay thai fit me perfectly.

So, do I train in muay shuai ju longfist? Nah, I just train. I train hard and I train the way I want to. Same thing you are doing. Taking from each of those styles what you find works best for you and perfecting it...

Shadow Dragon
05-27-2002, 09:45 PM
Ryu.

Maybe you need to add something less "Martial" related.

Forget the Budo & Bujutsu concept they are different sides of the same coin.
Most styles are BOTH -do & -jutsu.

Many of the MA I know also had a non-destructive Hobby, like writing & playing Music, raising Bonsai, etc.

Or maybe you need a softer Art to balance your harder styles.

Nothing wrong wiht your current training, I simply think you need a new goal or direction to develop yourself further.

Peace.

P.S.: Ryu = Dragon, but "Tatsu" is more commonly used.

Qi dup
05-27-2002, 10:58 PM
I'd call it kickin' ass. Life's a garden, dig it. Or you could simple be the great white ninja. Don't tell me you haven't heard the legend of the great white ninja? Then you can start cross training in wushu chik's Capo Fu Do. If I were you, I would train in my system however, Brazilian Capo Fu Do Capoerian kempo. it's lineage can be traced back to Bruce Lee and Wong Fei Hung you know.

scotty1
05-28-2002, 12:39 AM
"Oh you do martial arts, what do you train in?"

"A vartiety of techniques from a number of styles." Or something.

Easy. If they're interested you tell them JKD, BJJ, Judo etc.

But they probably won't be.:) Most people only ask out of politeness.

oldwolf
05-28-2002, 01:03 AM
With perseverance and hard training we should all become,
'No Ryu Ha'

Chang Style Novice
05-28-2002, 04:50 AM
"What Style do you practice?"

"Soh Ma Dis and Soh Ma Dat."

Sho
05-28-2002, 04:58 AM
School and draogn are pronounced differently: ryu for school is "constant level tone" (ryu) while ryu for dragon is falling (rył).

dezhen2001
05-28-2002, 05:02 AM
Sho: How the heck did you get that line above the U? :D

Ryu: hate to be like BL, but "it's only a name", doesn't matter what u call it as long as you keep training. What i train has various names from: kung fu, qigong, d@mn horse stance, pain in da ass, torture... all manner of different things ;)

david

DelicateSound
05-28-2002, 10:56 AM
When I'm in a fighting mood I think I'd love to do JKD. It fits my fighting philosophy.

When I'm in a sporty-mood I start to love my Judo, and sign up for more classes.

When I'm in a classical mood I think of Wing Chun and it's combination of principles, health benefits etc.

When I'm bored of thinking I play my guitar.

You can see why people create their own styles.... :rolleyes:

MightyB
05-28-2002, 12:22 PM
If Judo is your base style and if it's the one you like the most...

Say Judo.

NorthernMantis
05-28-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Ryu
I don't know what the heck I practice anymore. (Warning, the following are my opinions so don't get offended at anything)

I don't know what I practice. :( It has no name. I know what I like and what I don't like. .... .What do I say if someone asks what I study??

May seem like a trivial question, but oh well.

Ryu

Relax dude from you 've been saying it's basically jkd. Forget about what people say. If that doesn't wor just say you're learning how to fight.

ewallace
05-28-2002, 12:41 PM
Just call it Chung Moo Quan Concepts.

NorthernMantis
05-28-2002, 12:42 PM
DelicateSound-

Don't look now but there's an astral spy right under your name:eek: ;)

No_Know
05-28-2002, 12:48 PM
Bruce Lee has Sincerity. You also have Sincerity. Bruce Lee tried to make his body perfect~ and techniques to win any fight fast and decisive. He was guided by principles as to how to achieve these. He thought about what he was doing. You're a reflective person. What you're doing is early stages JKD.--JKD. Inosanto got Philipino stuff well mixed in because Inosanto was primarily that. Burton theoretically gives people drills and fighting stuff that sells. JKD by its nature is personalized.~ Correct observence of Bruce Lee and there is a formula to True JKD.

The beginning is utmost developed body; effective techniques.

7* is right-ish, but what he says actually is True JKD. For JKD is a concept without a name to be spoken. And to name what you think you understand is to blind your mind to what you actually were trying to refer.

Perhaps some-such, some might say.

DelicateSound
05-28-2002, 12:58 PM
N.Mantis - Is he there again!!!! I saw him earlier messing with my Green Tea! :eek:

NorthernMantis
05-28-2002, 01:12 PM
Well you better not drink it, for all you know that green stuff in your tea could be poison.

Ryu
05-28-2002, 03:30 PM
This forum is probably the most helpful I've been to.

Hey! You know I didn't know this... but did you know "way of the intercepting fist" is translated into Japanese as "Sekkendou"?

interesting. Even with my limited Japanese knowledge, I didn't really know this... can anyone vouch for it? I'll call a friend tonight and see what she says about it.

You guys are right. What I'm doing, training and philosophy wise.... is Jeet Kune Do.

Ryu

DelicateSound
05-28-2002, 03:36 PM
In theory I'm a JKD guy. However I hate the politics and conflict.

I'd like to be a Wing Chun guy EXCLUSIVELY, and although I feel it will become my main style, I have too much respect for grappling* not to crosstrain.

Ryu - we should create a style for people who have no style:D An anti-style! Obviously that is the principle of JKD, but the name had so many connotations. Ironic that, given Bruce's feelings on the subject..... :) On this thread you sound like me Ryu. Or at least a twisted Greek version of me that is obsessed with Japanese girls!!! :D

BTW: Isn't the theory of using what works pretty old. i.e: Praying Mantis?

*BJJ excluded. Ralek has forced it all out of me. :D

NorthernMantis
05-28-2002, 04:22 PM
Not trying to troll but jeet kune do means quick first sword in cantonese

jeet = quick

kune or kuen* = fist ,

do = sword

* The Cantonese dialect is a very complex one since it uses 6 tones so one word could mean diferent things. I've heard the word kuen pronounced a little bit differently at times but mean the same. Mandarin uses 3 tones also.

Delicate Sound is correct.:D

No_Know
05-28-2002, 04:47 PM
It could be translitrated differently than Intercepting Fist Way, if it had not been established that the first two words are Chinese language and the third word is Japanese.

The Do here would represent that it is a new style that looks to embody~, personal development. As to the rest, there are books By Bruce Lee which might mention the actual transliteration or translation of the phrase Jeet Kune Do. I recommend these as the authority as to what actually the JKD stands for or means or translates to English as or transliterates into English as.

"Mandarin uses 3 tones also. " Theoretically, there might be five tones that Mand(a)(e)rin uses . One of those is perhaps a null tone.

Perhaps some-such some might say.

Badger
05-29-2002, 06:31 AM
I am the Grandmaster Smurf of Bugaloo Jabberwocky.

Basically I train a combo of Kickboxing(Thai & American),BJJ, Arnis & selfdefense type training.

I could call what I do lots of things...its just alot more fun telling people they just got beatup by a smurf.;)

Badger