PDA

View Full Version : America RULES! No if's, and's or but's!

Silumkid
05-27-2002, 07:07 PM
The following was said to be written by a dentist in Australia; it's right on too.

An American

"You probably missed it in the rush of news last week, but there was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a newspaper an offer of a reward to anyone who killed an American, any American. So I just thought I would write to let them know what an American is, so they would know when they found one.

An American is English, or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian or Greek. An American may also be Mexican, African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani, or Afghan. An American may also be a Cherokee, Osage, Blackfoot, Navaho, Apache, or one of the many other tribes known as native Americans.

An American is Christian, or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan. The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them chooses. An American is also free to believe in no religion. For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

An American is from the most prosperous land in the history of the world. The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence, which recognizes the God given right of each man and woman to the pursuit of happiness.

An American is generous. Americans have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need. When Afghanistan was overrun by the Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and supplies to enable the people to win back their country. As of the morning of September 11, Americans had given more than any other nation to the poor in Afghanistan. The best products, the best books, the best music, the best food, the best athletes. Americans welcome the best, but they also welcome the least. The national symbol of America welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed. These in fact are the people who built America. Some of them were working in the Twin Towers in the morning of September 11, earning a better life for their families. I've been told that the people in the Towers were from at least 30, and maybe many more, other countries, cultures, and first languages, including those that aided and abetted the terrorists.

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler did. So did General Tojo, and Stalin, and Mao Tse Tung, and every bloodthirsty tyrant in the history of the world. But, in doing so you would just be killing yourself. Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American. So look around you. You may find more Americans in your land than you thought were there. One day they will rise up and overthrow the old, ignorant, tired tyrants that trouble too many lands. Then those lands, too, will join the community of free and prosperous nations.

Pass THIS around the World.

- Gee, and I thought "every other country" hated us...hmph.

Shadow Dragon
05-27-2002, 07:15 PM
OMG.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I am an American, better get an update on my Citizenship and Passports for the WHOLE Family.

As well as the rest of the World.

Peace.

P.S.: And the purpose of this article being???

halfling
05-27-2002, 07:19 PM
shadow - ever been told your a party pooper?

Shadow Dragon
05-27-2002, 07:22 PM
halfling:

Who lil' ol me. Naaah, never.

Sorry, but that article was way too much for me, way too much generalisation and such.

Peace.

P.S.: I have seen articles like this for over 20yrs and nothing ever changes.

P.P.S.: Happy Memorial Day.

Silumkid
05-27-2002, 07:24 PM
The point is the one that you must have missed...you know, the whole "melting pot" thing as well as the whole "sweeping generalization" thing.

Am I the only one who hates having to explain the obvious?

halfling
05-27-2002, 07:28 PM
Shadow - but you have to understand that many people feel that your so called generalizations are true. Get over it and be happy for america and our people for once. You might actually like it or at least learn something new. I dont think the article was written to change anything, probably just what was on some guys mind and he ended up writing it and somebody got a hold of it and liked it.

Cyborg
05-27-2002, 07:31 PM
Are we the greatest? Absolutely. For all those reasons. But it's the downhill slide baby! Didn't Ashcroft say recently that anyone who dared critisize (sp?) the government was a terrorist? That's a paraphrase but pretty close. Doesn't sound like freedom of speech to me!

Shadow Dragon
05-27-2002, 07:33 PM
Silumkid.

Slow for you.
1.) I am not American.
2.) I do no follow your ideals and principals, some we might share.
3.) I do not fully agree with what america stands for and tries to do or has done.
4.) I will fight for what is right for me and my family, which might be opposite to Americans

Got that?
I am not an "American" by any leap of the imagination and thus object to be labelled as such by anybody.

Peace.

P.S.: I doubt if Nero and Ghengiz Khan tried to kill Americans.

Silumkid
05-27-2002, 07:38 PM
Cyborg,

Hadn't heard about that. Thanks for saying it was a paraphrase. Is there a transcript or news report or something about it? I'm curious to know...there are many people, organizations, etc., including myself, who have some perfectly valid criticisms of the government. That's a LOT of hunting. I just wonder what the distinctions are. Doesn't make our country any less great...in fact, I'd say more so!

But that's just my opinion.

Silumkid
05-27-2002, 07:47 PM
OK Shadow,

Since it's obvious you would like to go out of your way to be a p.rick to me for no apparent reason other than the fact that I enjoy where I live...

Slow and small words for you:
1.) Not being an American is no excuse to not be able to read the meaning of an article rather than the face content.
2.) I never asked you to confrom to my ideals. We may indeed share some, possibly more than it seems you might care to admit. Point being?
3.) Guess what? Many Americans don't either. Doesn't make us "The Great Satan" or any less of a great country.
4.) I will and have. Again, point? Other than the fact you seem to be looking for something to do tonight?

Got THAT?
Object to whatever you want. Refer to point 1. The author is not saying "The whole world is Americans." The author is saying "America accepts all, thus anyone CAN BE an American." Again, read "melting pot" reference from prior post and understand it.

P.S. Neither of your clever references are mentioned in the article.

Shadow Dragon
05-27-2002, 07:56 PM
SilumKid.

Maybe my english reading skills are different to yours.

Because I get a different message from it than you.

This is what I disagree with:

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler did. So did General Tojo, and Stalin, and Mao Tse Tung, and every bloodthirsty tyrant in the history of the world. But, in doing so you would just be killing yourself. Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American. So look around you. You may find more Americans in your land than you thought were there. One day they will rise up and overthrow the old, ignorant, tired tyrants that trouble too many lands. Then those lands, too, will join the community of free and prosperous nations.

Peace, over and out.

respectmankind
05-27-2002, 08:05 PM
don't make me kill all of you for annoying me. ashcroft actually said that? ****, i am screwed.

David Jamieson
05-27-2002, 08:34 PM
Three guesses, the first 2 don't count...

peace