PDA

View Full Version : cheap training aids...backyard kung fu

Stacey
05-27-2002, 08:24 PM
1. Instead of a pretty 50 dollar broadswords, get a five dollar machete.
2. Tie a rope or set up sticks at a low height, bob underneith at "takedown" level and come up to do lots of punches.
3. Log or railroad tie to make horse stance training interesting.
4. Instead of buying a long ba gua spear, put a tall skilly tree over.
5. 20 dollar waxwood staves can be replaced with curtain rods.
6. Instead of a suai chiao/judo gi, use a goodwill vest made of durable material.
7. (from internal forum) get long line to hang your punching bag on (use car to make it tight) practice line drills on it so it moves as you hit it.
8. (from Blackjack) burmese post....rice bag filled with sand attatched to a tree.
9. mook jong....got tree?
10. Hero Li Kwi axes? Get yourself to the hardware store....or use tomahawks. Meteor hammer? small sledge hammers
11. Arm conditioning, arm break training....get sticks of increasing thickness and bust them with your elbows.
12. use a weight room pulley and attach the rope...go from horse stance to bow stance using all the weight from both low and high settings.
13. garage sales are key.
14. Spear practice? duct tape a tennis ball to the end of your staff...use pipe warmers around the sides.

15- Just thought of this...pipe warmers around pvc or metal pipe, grease it down and attatch it to a rope..to a large tree. This will simulate grabbing an arm that is sweaty..and improve your grip.

post your own "backyard training" ideas.

Okami
05-27-2002, 09:43 PM
You wanna see backyard training?

Check out:
http://www.jasonsbackyardmixedmartialarts.com

These guys are outrageous!
I watched the video clips for an hour.

Shadow Dragon
05-27-2002, 09:48 PM
If you wanna get some ideas for cheap training tools.

Either:
1.) Watch the OLD MA Movies, the ones that were still on reels.
2.) Look into traditional training methods in old manuals, like lets say a "Bansenshukai" or similar.

Peace.

respectmankind
05-27-2002, 10:31 PM
Those kids are morons. i have sparred with a couple people like that. disappointing.

Richie
05-28-2002, 12:47 AM
Yeah Respect, I agree with u. Those dummies give MA a bad name.

Royal Dragon
05-28-2002, 05:29 AM
Those guys suck worse than I do!!

premier
05-28-2002, 07:13 AM
Remember Karate Kid?

Sho
05-28-2002, 07:40 AM
I wanna cry. :eek:

David Jamieson
05-28-2002, 07:48 AM
That site is a good example of how NOT to train in martial arts.

ridiculous flailing, improper protection, bad form, man the list goes on. unbelievable! But I guess I have to believe that there are plenty of these types of things going on.

pitiful :(

peace

ewallace
05-28-2002, 08:37 AM
Bad yes. Unfortunately they are more realistic then some of the clips that have been posted to this board.

David Jamieson
05-28-2002, 09:56 AM
if that's reality, the kungfu man cannot lose, hahahaha :D

peace

NPMantis
05-28-2002, 03:31 PM
Hey Okami,

Thanks a lot for that link mate, those people are pretty crazy, what they lack in technique they definately make up for in a drunken brawl reality situation!

HuangKaiVun
05-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Stacey -

Nice ideas, but have you actually TRIED any of this stuff?

Stacey
05-28-2002, 09:23 PM
all except the burmese rice bag and the roped up heavy bag. I do other things though. WHy? Does anyone have any more ideas?

dooder
05-29-2002, 12:12 AM
We kicked a lot of trees and palms when I was younger. I like master Pans stories about hitting walls and stuff to toughen up his hand. I'm going to try the rice bag on my tree. There's a great scene from the movie Once Were Warroirs showing all the crazy backyard gyms they make their from scraps. I like the matchete idea. I still need a broadsword though. It's cool to translate traditional weapons skills to everday objects.

wu_de36
05-29-2002, 06:26 AM
Stacey, I'd have thought you used all your duct tape keeping your prig firmly between your legs.

Makiwara. Nuff said.

jun_erh
05-29-2002, 09:35 AM
1. Punch and kick cellaphane bags.
2. punch a towel

These and a lot more in Mike Young's book Home Training, whiich I would recommend. It has more elaborate stuff like you fill a tire with cement and put like 5 feet of telephone pole covered with padding for a punching bag. There's a grappling one too but I can't remember what it was? He has a chamber of celaphane bags and a rocknroll dummy. I think he writes for black belt magazine

Grays Anatomy
05-29-2002, 10:51 AM
When I first started training - my Sifu and I used to train in his backyard. He didn't have a heavy bag so he tied a rope around a tree. It was a nylon rope tied very tightly around the tree trunk for about 18 inches or so.

One hell of a punching bag.