PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anybody play paintball?

Loke
05-28-2002, 11:38 AM
Wondering if anyone here plays paintball?
If so, have your MA training helped your game?

DelicateSound
05-28-2002, 11:44 AM
For fitness and stamina yes. Reactions too. Apart from that there was only one "MA" situation. I'd been shot, and some thick twat decided to shoot me point blank a few times. I armbarred him to make him release it and shot him in the kneecaps.

I doubt that was the answer you were looking for :D I think the most important aspects are observation, movement and accuracy.

I am 1000% better now I have contact lenses.

To many newcomers do stupid things - shooting whilst running, shooting from hip, wasting ammo on stupid shots. IMHO paintball is an art in itself....

Unless you have a fully-automatic Angel. Then the opposition is f*cked. We had a guy who owned one, just suppressed the whole squad whilst we flanked 'em :D

Daredevil
05-28-2002, 11:48 AM
I play paintball, more than rec-ball too, going 'round the tournament scene in Finland and sometimes other countries (not playing the Millenium Series this year, though).

Of course, MA has affected it somewhat, but not too prominently. Some of the more uncomfortable stances are less so, the physical strain isn't so bad, etc. On the mental side, there is something very similar between the shouts of "get ready!" in sparring and "ten seconds!" in paintball. The mental preparation, the empty mind, the importance of a good opening ... I think most of the similarities are in that mentality, actually.

MightyB
05-28-2002, 12:02 PM
MA training helps make you a little more aware of your surroundings, helps with the balance on various terrain, and helps with the stamina. Also, it makes for quicker reactions.

Paintball is strategy at its extreme. It's a great game and once you get passed all of the run-n-gun mistakes that all newbies make, you learn a lot about warfare survival strategies and the importance of teamwork.

Braden
05-28-2002, 02:39 PM
I've been paintballing for 10 years. Incredibly fun stuff.

Bagua circlewalking revolutionized how I paintball. The subjective effect and improvement in results were spectacular.

Loke
05-28-2002, 03:17 PM
I suspected there were a few players on the board... :D

DelicateSound,
I can't believe you actually had to armbar someone... That's hilarious. Maybe we should all come up with something like "extreme paintball" and allow disarms etc. :rolleyes:

Personally feel MA has given me the flexibility, endurance and awareness required to play paintball. I used to only play rec-ball (I've only been playing for a couple of years anyway...) but recently started playing a lot of speedball, where reaction time and spatial awareness is key. I've have used some ukemi's when playing recball in the past. :) Some of the guys were like what the f***?!?

What type of guns do you all have/use?

DelicateSound
05-28-2002, 03:31 PM
It was crazy. It KIND OF was my fault. This guy had been cheating all day, wiping off paint, shooting people who were getting goggles cleaned etc.

I had killed him as he was making a run for our flag and he was p!ssed off. His friend shoots me and he comes over and shoots me in the arm! I told him to f-off and he outstretched his arm to shoot me point blank. I though "No chance"! :D

To make this MA related, I workedf out it was a Waki-Gatami, or straight arm bar :)

"Extreme paintball" :D Maybe we should allow H2H, capturing hostages etc. :D :p

Once I was "disarmed". Some sneaky lass had crept up behind my position on the wire and stuck a gun in my back. She was really nice about it, and said "I don't want to have to shoot you, so drop the gun OK." :p Humiliated by a girl :) Man did I get some stick......

Anyone here ever play with paint + smoke grenades?

Daredevil
05-28-2002, 03:36 PM
Angel LCD 2001 w/ Angel A.I.R

Need to get myself a new barrel, I'm still shooting paint through the stock tube. To get decent accuracy in paintball, you need an excellent barrel-to-ball fit and those **** paintballs tend to be rather variable in size. Well, luckily ZAP paintballs (Zap! sponsors paint for our team) have been getting a bit better and consistent this year.

Otherwise, I'm not feeling the pressure to upgrade.

Oh, and Speedball/Arenaball is the only way to play. :)

DelicateSound
05-28-2002, 03:47 PM
Where I come from 2 weapons are banned: The Angel and that one with the curvy sniper barrel.

I used an Angel once. After the acclimatisation I was a 1 man army. Jesus are they good..... Stock barrel does let it down though but still.........

Daredevil
05-28-2002, 03:52 PM
Angels are solid, yep. Of course the aforementioned full auto option is banned in tournaments, but that's hardly the reason I like the gun. Trustworthiness and performance are what I like.

Loke
05-28-2002, 03:57 PM
DS,
Nice... I hate cheaters. I had a guy two weeks ago who I shot probably a good five times. This guy kept wiping and finally nailed me when I was trying to bunker him. Then he has the audacity to tell me I'm out along with some profanities telling me I was the one wiping...Go figure. But all in all I love this sport.
I heard it's the fastest growing sport in the world (or possibly the US can't remember which).

Daredevil,
Speedball is the bomb. My skill level has increased dramatically by playing speedball. (plus it's usually cheaper than recball at the arena we play at)

Right now I use a modified/customized Auto****er with dye swing trigger, grip and two dye barrels (one is a boomstick). I also have a Spyder TL (my old marker). The auto****er kicksa$$. I can get that thing firing pretty quick but I'm not one to really spray paint all over the place. I prefer a nice 3 - 5 round bursts. ;)
One of the guys I play with has an angel, and WOW it's nice. But I can't see myself forking out that kind of cash... maybe in the future if I get more serious about it (like playing in tourneys).

DelicateSound
05-28-2002, 04:01 PM
I used to have a Tippman Carbine now THERE is a reliable gun :D I did look after it but Jesus, it took some beating. I always played outdoor field stuff, and was always usually the guy on point or wire. It worked 100% in the ****tiest British weather :D

Now people are IMHO in two camps about Tippman. Either they're boring and slow, or trusty and accurate. I hated the A5 and the bendy thing but the Carbine I loved. :p Man that thing was great..... [fond memory]

Daredevil
05-28-2002, 04:16 PM
"I heard it's the fastest growing sport in the world (or possibly the US can't remember which)."

That may well be and I hope so! Getting more folks into the sport will hopefully make it cheaper for everyone in the long run. Or maybe that's just hopeless dreaming.

Speedball is a different type of game, but really pushes you to the brim of your skills. Tournaments with excellent teams are very educational as well. We had the luxury of playing with the world's best teams last year at a Millenium Series event (the novices, amateurs and pros played not only their own level, but a few matches across, so ..). Team Avalanche from the US is a nasty one, and opened a very large can of whoop-ass on us that day. I enjoyed the beating, nevertheless.

Ahh. I do love paintball as a sport, but alas, it's such an expensive hobby and before you're at the worldwide pro status (with access to good sponsorships), you've already wasted way too much money for comfort. I'm kind of teetering on the brink of quitting due to that, but let's see what happens.

kohai
05-28-2002, 09:10 PM
i play airsoft (cheaper than paintball and the guns are cooler)
wish i'd remembered meagre martial arts skill when one guy "killed" me with a rubber knife

Shadow Dragon
05-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Yep, used to play some "Splatball" when I was younger.

Later on I switched over to Laser Games, prefer those especially when the smoke is thick and you can't see more than 2 steps in the maze.

Also less disputes about hits and kills.

Peace.

straight blast
05-29-2002, 01:12 AM
Paintball is excellent fun. How stoked was I when they decided to build a skirmish paintball center about 10 minutes down the highway from me when I was at school! It can be dangerous though...I once knocked a girl out and gave her concussion.

Rifle whip!!! No, not really.

I was running as fast as I could with paintballs ****zing around my shoulders from two guys who were chasing me. Good thing they were running too or they would have got me for sure. I saw this little log fence thing that was about waist height and dived over it. As I sailed through the air over the log wall I realised that it had been hollowed out on the other side to a depth of about 5 and a half feet. I landed shoulder first (attempted aikido style roll...ukemi I think it's called) on the head of a girl who had been crouching at the bottom of the wall, facing the other way.

My 98 kilos hitting her by surprise square on the back of the head knocked her clean out. I managed to knock the wind out of myself and somehow get a mouthful of dirt, even through the mask. And to add insult to injury, she was on my team. We stopped the game and sent her off to the hospital where they told her that she had concussion.

But paintball still rocks. Lesson for today:

Look before you leap. Literally.