PDA

View Full Version : No Wonder!

red5angel
05-29-2002, 10:27 AM
No wonder JKD is so controversial! Do all JKD people feel the sae way this guy does?

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=190

apoweyn
05-29-2002, 10:36 AM
don't even need to follow the link to answer that question. the day that all JKD people agree on anything at all will be the day that Earth goes spinning off into space.

stuart b.

fa_jing
05-29-2002, 10:36 AM
No. :D

red5angel
05-29-2002, 11:15 AM
LOL! AP - Reading this article though, this guy discounts pretty much everything but just 'expressing' yourself through your art. My thought is, dont you need a good solid base in something before you can start to create your own?

dezhen2001
05-29-2002, 11:18 AM
why can't you express yourself through ANY art? ANY style? :)

david

ewallace
05-29-2002, 11:54 AM
I agree and disagree with some aspects of JKD. I think I would have to separate it to analyze it.

It is indeed martial. It will teach you how to fight, and fight very well. But I certainly feel that JKD focuses on mostly the "Martial" in "Martial Arts". For some this is great, and that is all they really care about.

For others, myself included, there is an appreciation for the "Arts" in "Martial Arts" as well as the actual fighting. I find the history, forms and philosophy of more traditional arts very fascinating. I believe that JKD is lacking in this area, which I believe was it's intention.

The above is the reason I really don't give a badger's ass about mma vs. cma, or any other debate about style vs. style. To some fighting isn't everything.

red5angel
05-29-2002, 11:55 AM
I am not sure I get that problem either Dezhen. For me, I know that at some point I will take wingchun and make it my own, meaning I will adapt its precepts for my personal experience and needs.
I guess you come to that conclusion when you a.) haven't finished a classical system yet, and b.) havent developed your classical fighting skills to transcend the actual forms, drills etc to a more solid understanding of how it works. ;)

rubthebuddha
05-29-2002, 12:38 PM
you'll get the WC world lined up in support of william cheung before you get the JKD world to agree on this. :cool:

red5angel
05-29-2002, 12:46 PM
LOL! Seriously man, I know, its like talking to a bunch of sensitive, gossipy old ladies sometimes!

rogue
05-29-2002, 08:05 PM
Here's the link to the JKD forum where Merryprankster, apoweyn and myself discussed the article with David Kunz (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=12281)

And we even kept it civil!:)

red5angel
05-30-2002, 07:08 AM
Thanks Rogue., looks good so far......

rogue
05-30-2002, 08:07 PM
That was a good thread, though I never called Kunz on his teaching kids remark.:D

Richie
05-30-2002, 08:29 PM
The funny thing about JKD is that there are SOOOO many schools around the world. One of Master Lee's Sifu Dan I. said in IKF a while back that he was surprised at the amount of JKD school. He wonder where they learn it and from whom.

I also heard that Master Lee didn't even really complete all of the concepts. However, three of his senior students where allowed to teach it.

With that being said, how can there be so many Sifus, schools, and different flavors of a style that is 35-38 years old and which was not 100% complete and starting out with three teachers?

straight blast
05-31-2002, 05:29 AM
No offense to the guy but it all sounds like the same old regurgitation of Bruce Lee's philosophy. Same old, same old. Are there any JKD people out there who look at Bruce's ideas and go "well maybe in 1970, not today"? I've no doubt that I could look through my own Bruce Lee library and write an essay nearly identical to that one or any of the others that I see so often.

Where are the individual thinking JKDers? I know you're out there, I've spoken to one...stand up for yourselves and get out of parroting from Bruce's shadow!! I'm sure it's what he would do...

Shaolindynasty
05-31-2002, 02:27 PM
I always think of Bruce's famous quote when it comes to all the copy cat JKD guys in MA magazines.

" the original founder starts out with hypothesis, later it becomes gosphel truth"

I think to be trully open minded you need to embrace even classical styles. If you don't you limit yourself and the JKD motto is somthing like "no limits as the only limit" Yet they only embrace what the new "flavor" of the month is. Most turn out to be the Pop fans of the MA world. I have allot of problems with JKD as a style or "school" anyway. It's very ironic and contradicting that way.