PDA

View Full Version : Gwat Sao

fa_jing
05-29-2002, 11:12 AM
I've been taught a motion called "Gwat Sao," wiping block. This is where you jum sao and the jum immediately proceeds down to gan sao. I think maybe some call this movement high Gan sao?? Anyway, I like this movement for sparring, because the gloves don't get in the way of it. It's good for creating space. Anyone have insights on this movement?

-FJ

CLOUD ONE
05-29-2002, 05:16 PM
I have been taught this.

Do you step back whan you do this?

In dan chi sau, if you miss the opportunity to draw the partners bong-tan punch sequence then gwat sau is used to cover the center. There is also a moment where your partner wil jerk forward if this is done properly.

I haven't sparred with it so it may be different.

Imo it is slower to do a counter attack with gwat sau than the drawing hand because of the one step back!!!

LMKwc
05-29-2002, 10:25 PM
Yes, gwat was one of the first hands we learnt along with tan. We were taught to cover the upper and mid doorway using these two hands at a basic level.
We can use gwat to cover virtually any mid level attack.
Oh, we don't step back when using it, but catch their force and pivot our feet (well the opponents force will turn us while we return his forceback to him through our other hand - kinda like a spinning clothes line).