PDA

View Full Version : My problem with Arrogance...

Brawler_Kid
05-29-2002, 04:06 PM
I have this problem which is very irritating. I first started studying Shaolijn Kung Fu under two VERY competent and humble masters, which I learned alot from, but because of financial reasons (I couldnt keep paying for the classes) I had to leave the training. About a year later, I learned from some schoolteachers that there's a "Self-Defense Program" for those students with scholarships (I have one, thanks to God), so i signed up F-Ing quickly, but I didn't knew that it was on the other school from the same style I previously studied. I was like "THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!, but when I started practicing the style again, I noticed that this new teacher was a hell of a lot tougher (he is a Si Pok) and his hashiousitais were and are very , and I mean, very arrogant. Maybe it's the fact they are rich kids studying a cool art, or the fact that I'mtaking the class for free, but they are ignoring me to their fullest, I have tried to gain their trust and respect on numerous occations, but have failed. now I think, is this the true way of the Shaolin? One teacher with a lower rank taught me to be humble and another with a higher rank is apparently letting his higher students be arrogant and stuck-up. What are your thoughts on this??

PS. My mother told me to just ignore me and keep the training on a personal level, and that's what I'm following, though it's starnge that the lower rank students are more humble than the more experienced students. I always thought that it was the other way around, that you learn humility with time, if you havent learned it before. I have gained the Si Pok's respect by learning quickly and being very respectful to the other lowered ranked students, I'm actually doing the stuff black sashes are supposed to be doing.

diego
05-29-2002, 04:30 PM
yes i think u should take heed to advice of ya moms, just ignore yourself and nothing can get to you:rolleyes:

yu shan
05-29-2002, 09:27 PM
Hey Brawler

Where are you in Puerto Rico?

The Willow Sword
05-30-2002, 08:38 AM
You will run into all types in the matrial arts community.

stay focused and on your center, arrogance is a weakness, this can be utilized to your advantage, and what is the best way to combat arrogance? with humility. also remember that just because it says Shaolin does not mean that the precepts are followed. i had to find that out the hard way in times past.

when confronted with arrogance just be humble and nice.

Many Respects,, The Willow Sword

GeneChing
05-30-2002, 10:05 AM
The Shaolin way to beat arrogance is always a koan - you got to hit them with an enlighteneing query. Not so easy, because it requires a lot of non-attachment, and if you were not attached, arrogance wouldn't be an issue. Be compassionate - arrogance is an expression of suffering - remove the suffering and it will fade. But that's a big task, spiritual healing. Then again, Shaolin has a lot of spiritual baggage if you truly engage it. Again, don't be attached. That's the Shaolin Way, if you care to apply it.

Perhaps a more useful suggestion is to truly be non-attached and abandon Shaolin way. The Taiji way is easier. Let them push and at the moment when they over extend themselves, pull. Nothing funnier than watching arrogance fall on its butt. Although this will give you some emotional satisfaction, ultimately, that will just increase the suffering. But again, one of the nice things about martial arts is that when push come to shove, the last man standing wins, irregardless of rank, attitude or whatever.

Do as thou will.

Brawler_Kid
05-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the wise words. Dont get me wrong, i really respect those people for their experience in the combat aspect of the art, and the Si Pok is an excellent fighter, he knows a wide variety of combat techniques and principles, but that flaw that those students-soon-to-be-masters are carrying can't benefit the progress of the art.

David Jamieson
05-30-2002, 07:43 PM
That's mighty zen of you Gene. :D

seriously.

peace

yu shan
05-30-2002, 08:04 PM
Pay your dues, respect your teacher, but! Don`t take crap from these egotistical wantabe`s. Your headed in the right direction, but remember this a Martial Art, maybe a lil challenge...out of the school. OK Zen folks, hit me!!! I mixed it up with my older KF brothers, that`s how you get there attention.

GeneChing
05-31-2002, 09:41 AM
Every student, every elder, every master, we all are seeking the same. And it's easy to get seduced by power, especially in the martial arts. Once you learn to tap into the power, well, doors that aren't open can be kicked down. Just remember your seniors are students too, just with more time on task. That's why I would default to the tai chi way - pull them down when they over extend - and if you want to be a true master, catch them before they fall to the ground. In this way you can help them along their path.
The upstart challenges without regards to consequences. But the way of the warrior, wude (Chinese martial ethics) leaves an out to save face.

buddhapalm
05-31-2002, 10:00 PM
Gene................Nice, nice, nice !

Brawler_Kid..........

The best revenge is success !!!

With monkeys jumping all over the place with arrogance, perhaps by sitting in the horse stance for hours you will eventually become unbeatable, then when they push you, they will feel how successful your training has been.....succesful without them.

Sweet revenge it is............... is it not ?

Their mind has nothing to do with your mind, they are trying to pull you off balance with their arrogance, their seniority is their tool. By becoming rock solid in your determination towards your goal of mastery you will see them as they are......dancing monkeys. Cut them down with your mind, like a single sword cut.

Buddhapalm

dragontounge2
06-01-2002, 08:47 AM
Arrogance usually fades away with lives experiances and troubles.
Dont let these fools disrupt your training.