PDA

View Full Version : Hung Sing in America

kei lun
05-29-2002, 07:35 PM
I was looking at the site of the American Hung Sing Studio of GrandMaster Dino Salvatera, it is the only site I know of dedicated to the Hung Sing branch of Choy Lee Fut. There is a lot of good information on there and I noticed there have been some changes added to the site recently. One that caught my attention was the lineage http://hungsing.com/tree.htm . Previously the line went from Jeung Yim - Yuen Hai - Lau Bun - Jew Leong - and finally GrandMaster Dino Salvatera. But now the line has been updated. It now says that GrandMaster Dino Salvatera not only learned from Jew Leong but from Adeline Louie, Chan Bing Hong, Dennis Lai, Ho Cherk Wah, and Leung Wai Wing. Wow, 6 Sifufs all of the Hung Sing style, that is a great line to belong to! As I find the Hung Sing style and its people interesting I want to learn more about it. I heard that Lau Bun and his student Jew Leong were quite good Hung Sing people. So why is GrandMaster Dino Salvatera learning from new teachers, Ho Cherk Wah, and Leung Wai Wing? I do thing that it is invaluable to collect knowledge and experience from many different Sifufs, but I thought Lau Bun was already the top Hung Sing Sifu. Were the teachings from Lau Bun incomplete, or lacking? Or has GrandMaster Dino Salvatera missed some teachings from his 4 previous Sifufs that he needs to seek out 2 more? I thought that it was disrespectful to follow another Sifu of the same style as long as your Sifu is still alive, am I wrong? If GrandMaster Dino Salvatera is still in training then should he still be the gGrandmasterh of the Hung Sing style?

Kei-Lun

kei lun
05-30-2002, 06:37 AM
Is there any of GrandMaster Salvatera's students online to help me with my inquiries?

Fu-Pow
05-30-2002, 09:08 AM
I think that Yik Wak Tik could probably answer this better than me but I believe that the new lineage represents the American Hung Sing Gwoon's relatively new connection with CLF practitioners in Futshan, one of the birthplaces of CLF. I think it mentions this on the website. And I doubt that Lau Bun's teaching were "incomplete", it's just that there is always something new to learn in CLF, even for a Sifu.

kei lun
05-30-2002, 10:29 AM
Of course I think its always good to keep on the path of learning but dont you agree that when someone accepts the title of "Grandmaster" that they are already quite accomplished in their skills and style? Grandmaster is different from Sifu dont you think? And also "Grandmaster" Salvatera is the Jeung Mun Yan of the Hung Sing style (I recently saw on a post), this means that he is the keeper of the style (of Hung Sing). So what does a accomplished keeper of a style or system need to go back to school for?

yik-wah-tik
05-30-2002, 11:58 AM
thanks for your comments and also to fu pow.

he is right. i will have better explainations to your answers. see, professor jew leong totally retired from teaching in 1995. my sifu has been practicing for up to 30 yrs+ now and to clarify what he meant by learning from addie, and denny, he never took them as sifu's. as his seniors they only added flavor to his training. it was never said they he took them as sifu's. one more thing, is that my sifu is not too keen on giving information on the internet freely. you see, the old hung sing under lau bun was very secretive. no one outside of chinatown knew they existed up until the 60's. we operated for 30 years without publicity.

i appreciate your approach here, you are trying but not trying to step on toes, but i like the way you did this.

now in regards to my sifu taking a new sifu, his own sifu is totally retired. no longer teaching. now originally our first trip to china was to trace lau buns lineage back to fut san and also visit the birthplace of hung sing choy lee fut. for the longest time we had always wondered why we looked a little different than the hong kong choy lee fut we referred to others as, but after going to fut san it was so appearant that lau buns choy lee fut is vertually unaltered in its essence that it was extremely recognizable by the fut san elders as having strong direct roots to fut san hung sing choy lee fut and to jeong yim directly.

to take on a new sifu was not really planned. it just happened naturally. now some of his reasons for taking a new sifu was to continue in the direct line of hung sing choy lee fut and since fut san is in close relation to our lineage, my sifu wanted to continue his training. he does not have to explain his actions to anyone. and no one should try and repremand him either. unless you are his sifu. jew leong is well aware of what sifu jew tien loong has done, and he supports his efforts.

see, it was my sifu and myself that has painstakingly promoted professor lau buns lineage of hung sing choy lee fut around the world. it is because of our efforts the memories of master yuen hai, lau bun and jew leong will be forever remembered throughout the hung sing fraternity.

as to learning from fut san, he is a student of ho cherk wah, not of leung wai wing. leung wai wing is my si hings student dan who lives in fut san. my sifu there in fut san is lok gee hung. we have kept our learning strictly within jeong yims direct lineage. the lines there are pure as well.

my sifu is the jeong mun yan of professor lau buns hung sing kwoon in america. since prof lau bun is the first pioneer of clf in usa, that gives us the right to be called the first and oldest hung sing in usa.

i hope this clears some things for you. pls contact us if you have anymore questions. i'll be glad to handle this.

frank

Hiram
05-30-2002, 04:38 PM
www.americanhungsingkwoon.com
Is our website. Needs more work though (my fault) :o

Serpent
05-30-2002, 06:51 PM
So Hiram, you're American Hung Sing as well? Yet your history is different to Frank's and his school claims to be the oldest Hung Sing in America. Your site doesn't even have a link to his site!

What's the deal? Are you guys the same school or not? And if American Hung Sing schools can't even agree on history, then why do you expect the rest of the world (Frank) to listen to your version?

Comments?

kei lun
05-31-2002, 07:00 AM
Thank you for your answers, gFrankh should I call you? I very much agree that Grandmaster Salvatera worked very hard to promote the name of gHung Singh as well as gLau Bunh in America. Also you said that Grandmaster Salvatera doesnft have to explain himself or his actions to anyone, I couldnft agree more that its true, as for all people. Thanks for your well composed answers.
One more thing, I think it was either you or GrandMaster Salvatera who sent a letter to my Sifu Siu Man Loong in Canada. You asked him to identify himself and his credentials in Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut. Well, he sent a letter back to you with all your requests but you never got back to him. He is still waiting, is there anything you would like me to relay to him?

Kei Lun

yik-wah-tik
06-02-2002, 01:07 PM
im a sorry. it seems siu man loong may have taken it sorta wrong. it was most likely me who emailed him since i was on a hunt for finding other people of jeong yim's lineage. it was not too long ago that we learned that other hung sing (jeong yim) lineage existed and we made a mad dash to try and make connections.

it was not meant to "VERFY CREDENTIALS" it was so not to make a mistake and reach out to the wrong lineage. remember, this lineage thing is a hot item now.

so please pass on to him, i was only trying to locate our hung sing brothers.

to serpent, don't be mad, it is so **** true that my hung sing school is the oldest, longest running, and first gung fu and choy lee fut school to formally establish i america. sorry that offends you.

so i understand your frustrated position, since you seem to attack anyone not chan clan. low selfesteem?

thanks frank

kei lun, i have not checked out your sight yet but you can email me through our website and i will respond. we must keep in touch.

and don't let these internet ninjas get you down.

yik-wah-tik
06-02-2002, 01:18 PM
what the **** are you talking about? hiram's website information is exactly what we have as history. shut your ****ing mouth loser. you ****ing email terrorist.

all you can do is talk!!!!!! waste of energy. maybe one dayyou can tell your grandkids how you used to kick peoples ass by using the computer. internet ninja who is said that his chan clan is losing the fight.

sorry ****head

yik-wah-tik
06-02-2002, 01:21 PM
i have met your sifu in fut san. i have taken pictures also with him.
although he looks very young, he and my sifu are both in the 5th generation. the only thing is my sifu is much older.

because you are from fut san hung sing you are our brother and we would like to maintain this relationship. hopefully one day you guys can pay a visit to our kwoon in sf.

i await your email .....remember to email me from our website.

frank

do you have the family tree that comes from fut san, our lineage shows on this tree and my name is also on it.....my chinese name is jew hung loong.

Serpent
06-02-2002, 04:54 PM
:rolleyes:

Hiram
06-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Frank,
Yes, Sifu gave me a copy of the book that was published at the last official celebration. I haven't throughly reviewed it, but I do recall seeing your Sifu in one of the pages. Sifu had only nice things to say about you guys.

If Sifu or I are ever in the area, you can bet we'll drop by. Sifu travels a lot, so it's only a matter of time before he ends up there. Same to you guys- if you're ever in the area, please drop by. You'll be treated like the rest of the family. If your Sifu ever needs anything, please don't hesitate to call us. The main line is 212-375-0082. For faxes or voicemail call 212-375-0083
Sifu would love to hear from a brother.

I'll email you soon with my personal tel#

Peace.

kei lun
06-03-2002, 09:05 AM
My Sifu wasnft upset at all, he just wondered what it was about, no hard feelings either way. Unfortunately it is taking me a while to get my site up, but I as well as my Sifu should have sites up shortly. By the way, your Sifufs name is spelled 2 different ways on your lineage chart.

Kei Lun

yik-wah-tik
06-03-2002, 01:46 PM
i believe your sifu and my sifu spoke over the phone recently. my sifu likes your sifu. and yes you guys would be treated as family as well if you ever come to sf. man i hope you can come, i'll show you guys around and introduce you to many of the chinatown sifu.

if you like you can call my studio at...........wait email me first at sifufrank@hotmail.com and i will give you my phone number.

hope to hear from you soon.

frank

yeah, i believe i performed on the same stage with your sifu.

pls tell him we send him our best and if you need anything just call.

send us your site information and we will link you to our site....i think it may be already done.

take care.

frank