PDA

View Full Version : to train?, or not to train?, that is the question.

sultanpro
10-06-2001, 07:01 PM
So, i got a friend that has been intrested in training and has asked me to hook him up and bring him to class, now im not sure if i want to,i dont know if its a good idea, what im afraid of, is him coming to class for couple weeks, and then just stop coming, he's just that type of guy, its hard for him to commit and i just dont think he has the heart to stick it out when it starts getting serious, but i dont know what to say without punking him off!!
Has any one ever had to turn down a good friend when it comes to training??
Mabye i'll just refer him to another school

skard

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

Yuen
10-06-2001, 07:29 PM
It's his own money, so why not? :) Each time is different so I think you should help your friend a little bit.

sultanpro
10-06-2001, 07:48 PM
Money??? Who was talking about money, this is my school bro, i dont want to be embarassed by my boy.

halfling
10-06-2001, 07:58 PM
I think that most people would understand that martial arts arn't for everyone. As long as you don't hype up his coming alot and make it sound like youll have a lifetime student that people will understand. I see people come and attend class for a month or so and then we never see them again. It happens. So, let him come, experience it, if he doesn't like it then at least he knows one way or the other. :) good luck and dont worry. If people think less of you because you tried to bring someone else to your style/system then they don't get the point of it. :)

azwingchun
10-06-2001, 08:03 PM
As a teacher I run into students that I know won't be sticking it out very long. I have had to ask myself many times if I should accept this person as a student. As mentioned it is thier money and if at the time they are interested then let them give it a try. On the other hand I have seen people who were really dedicated then out of the blue drop out, as well as the ones that I thought weren't so interested and they stayed for some time or are still here and are pretty dedicated. I am one of those people who feel that Kung Fu has much to offer people and by turning them away I am not giving them a chance to earn the benefits of Kung Fu. I even go as far as explaining to my students that even if Wing Chun isn't the art for them that they should seek out the art that they feel works the best for them, again because of what the arts have to offer.

I have noticed that there are those who watch a martial arts movie and think "hey that's cool" and join the first school they walk into, then there are those who do it for a hobby, those who do it just for health benenfits, those who do it for self-defense, as well as many other singular benefits. Unfortunately, there are few who understand completely what the arts hold as a whole, and not until sometime later after really getting there feet wet do they realize the whole picture. Though again, most don't seem to stick around long enough to see the big picture. ;)

Lucky Red
10-06-2001, 09:22 PM
just take him along it is funny how martial art can change people

True gold fears no fire

Kung Lek
10-06-2001, 11:39 PM
Bring him along, don't be embarrassed. if he's asking you to introduce him to something then propogate and support your school.

If he falls off, that's his thing and does not reflect on you.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

sultanpro
10-07-2001, 09:53 PM
we'll see how it goes, mabye i will take him.
skard

shaolinboxer
10-07-2001, 11:13 PM
IMO, not bringing your friend to your school is arrogant and selfish.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat