PDA

View Full Version : muscles and fat burning

stubbs
05-30-2002, 03:27 AM
ok these questions don't really have to be answered, it's not that important but here goes.

when we use our muscles during exercise and recovery we need energy i.e. fat. when a particular muscle needs fat does it take the fat thats closest to it or does it just take it from anywhere? i don't think it would be closest to it 'cause that would be spot reduction wouldn't it?

also does training on an empty stomach burn more of our fat reserves than training on a half filled stomach 'cause there's nothing in our stomach to burn off?

also, i read somewhere else that if you're on a diet to lose fat you should drink lot's of ice cold water. why does the temperature of the water affect our metabolic rate?

thanks to anyone that can answer these.
stubbs
________
EASY VAPE DIGITAL (http://vaporizer.org/)

Kempo Guy
05-30-2002, 08:44 AM
Stubbs,

I'm not an expert by any means but I'll try to answer some of your questions.

In terms of fat reduction, as you already state you can't spot reduce fat. From my understanding when losing fat you lose fat from the last place you gained it... if that makes any sense. It's been explained to me that is why many people have problems getting rid of their 'handles' as this is where people gain weight first, which means it will be the last place you will lose it.

Training on an empty stomach does burn more fat. This is why many people workout first thing in the morning before they eat breakfast.

Drinking ice cold water induces what I believe is called 'thermogenic effect', which means the body needs to heat the water as it goes through your system. This apparently burns something like 130 calories per 16oz of cold water.

Perhaps someone can correct me or add to what I've said.

Hope this helps,
KG

Kumkuat
05-30-2002, 08:54 AM
Wait, drinking cold water induces the thermogenic effect? Man who needs ECA stack then? Just drink ice cold water.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-30-2002, 11:54 AM
"Drinking ice cold water induces what I believe is called 'thermogenic effect', which means the body needs to heat the water as it goes through your system. This apparently burns something like 130 calories per 16oz of cold water."

huh ... learn something new every day.

Satanachia
06-01-2002, 09:08 PM
I guess that might explain why the water in my gym is always ice cold....