PDA

View Full Version : Glucosamine

Hai_To
05-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Does anyone here have any experience using Glucosamine? I've been having knee trouble on and off for a while. One of my friends recommended using this stuff. Is it any good? Or, more to the point, does it work?

For the record, I have trouble keeping my knee in a bent position for a long time (e.g. when sitting down for extended periods of time). It feels like there is pressure building up, and I have to straighten it out (to the sound of a satisfying pop). I don't have any pain, just a little discomfort. Though the knee does sound a little funky when I have my ear near it while stretching.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Merryprankster
05-30-2002, 09:23 AM
I have seen very real improvement using it, but it takes a few weeks before you notice a difference.

For the record--Chondroitin is too large a molecule to be absorbed by the gut, according to the research I've read. If you take that too, you are jacking up the price of the pill and ****ting away your cash.

dnc101
05-30-2002, 12:13 PM
Glucosamine and chondroitin are both good, but MP is right about the chondroitin molecule (at least from what I've read). You need to get the sulfate form of both for maximum benifits. Also, take MSM with it or it doesn't do as much good. And since MSM uses up vitamin C, you should take that too. I can tell the difference when I don't regularly take all these.

What you describe here sounds a little worrisome. If it is chronic, I'd see a doctor. There's another thread here about runners knee with some good information too- I think it was started by Icebear. But the best suggestion is still see a doctor instead of fooling around with knee problems. All the pills you can take won't reliably repair a dammaged knee- the best you can reasonably hope for is some relief and maintenance, at least in my experience.

05-31-2002, 02:50 AM
I take glucosamine (sometimes with chondroitin because often that's all I can get) but more as a preventative measure because I do a lot of running. THere has been some research to suggest it does work - but who knows?

I did have troublesome knees (pain while running)and the best thing I did was to get some have my gait analysed and get some decent footwear (for running) and do something to strengthen the knee in terms of stability. My knees have been fine since. With all these things keep an open mind and find what works for you.

pvwingchun
06-04-2002, 06:14 PM
According tom my doc it either works or it doesn't but if it works it works great. I recovered from a fairly nasty knee injury using it. Have bad knees to begin with and they feel better if I keep on it.

Does take 2 to 3 weeks to kick in though and must keep it in system.

According to my doc use the glucosamine and chondroitin there is a long term study being conducted on the east coast and it appears to work in about 50% of the subjects.

rubthebuddha
06-04-2002, 11:37 PM
my knees had a habit of giving me sharp pains when i would turn sometimes. changing my walking habits, coupled with supplementing glucosamine helped quite a bit.

now, even though i'm walking better, i can notice a difference in how my legs feel. if i work out hard and don't take the g/c supplement that night, my joints may be sore in the morning. if i take it, all is well.

Serpent
06-04-2002, 11:43 PM
What does glucosamine do? Excuse the ignorance, but I don't know what it is, what it target, etc.

A quick synopsis anyone?

pvwingchun
06-05-2002, 07:02 AM
If I have this right the glucosamine actually repairs damage such as microtears in the cartilage around the knee and other joints while the chondroitan works to decrease swelling. Although it could be the other way around. Once again this is according to my doc who is pretty opened minded about supplements and herbs.

As I said I twisted my knee pretty good and by time I got around to seeing the doc I had pretty much healed up, although it doesn't work overnite In the few weeks it took me around to getting to see him I started taking it. I saw no results for awhile but all of the sudden it seemed to work almost overnite. It takes time to build up in the system. I now take only one tablet a day for maintenance and my knees feel better than they have in years.

dragontounge2
06-05-2002, 09:27 AM
would it help my shoulder? I have pain when I punch sometimes and when I bench press.

Merryprankster
06-05-2002, 09:41 AM
Yes, glucosamine is the basic unit of the polyaminosaccharide chains that make up your connective tissue--cartilage and ligaments. I don't believe that tendons per se fall into this category.

Chondroitin is also a component, but I don't remember how or why--again though, there are some absorption problems, it seems.

MSM helps because the sulfur--and the stuff the sulfur is attached to in MSM, helps cross-link the amino bits of the polyaminosaccharides. This makes them stretchy, vice rigid.

Vitamin C is used in the formation of connective tissue--hence, scurvy if you don't get it.

:)

dragon, it sounds like you have a mild rotator cuff tear.

dragontounge2
06-05-2002, 09:57 AM
What should I do?

Merryprankster
06-05-2002, 10:09 AM
You should lay off benching and pushups for one.

You should do some PT on the rotator cuff. I really don't know how to explain the exercises. I would see a physical therapist or a coach.

dragontounge2
06-05-2002, 10:22 AM
Well im going to get a shot today so what what should ask about exersices?

Merryprankster
06-05-2002, 10:26 AM
You should tell them you're having some shoulder problems and you think it's rotator cuff related. Then you should ask what to do about it, and if there is any PT you can do to help strengthen it.

pvwingchun
06-05-2002, 10:45 AM
dragontounge2 never take medical advice from someone who has not seen you and analyzed your situation firsthand. See a physical therapist recommended by your doc and have them suggest the appropriate exercises based on the diagnosis of your doc. As for the glucosamine discuss it with your principal physician and see if it is a treatment option. If he is open minded to supplements he should give you a straight answer. You may also want to look into acupuncture or acupressure.

dragontounge2
06-05-2002, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the help guys.:)