PDA

View Full Version : post hernia lifting

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-30-2002, 01:51 PM
well i have been back to class for about two weeks now and, although i still notice where the surgery area, i feel i'm ready to start lifting in a slightly differant manner. the area doesn't really hurt, but my stomach still wont fully contract. i found this out once while putting in an air conditioner that was lifted almost entirely with my arms and back and again when trying a vertical jump about sternum high. i made it on the wall but barely ... usually its an easy jump and i could tell that it was the lack of contraction in the abs that was holding me back. i guess my abs are smarter than i am.

considering this i wanted to start back on lifting in exercises that lack almost any focus on the midsection. i was thinking dumbells would be best for most of the exercises, but i really havent done any work with them except on concentration curls. what i was thinking so far would be the bench press, seated french press, tri extensions, tri kickbacks, and the same forarm workout with barbell as usuall ( i figure these are focused enough in the arms not to worry about . .. just got to watch picking up the bar for the inners). these all sound decent enough to me but they are all just barbell exercises with dumbells instead.

i was wondering if anyone could suggest any good barbell exercises, or had any advice for someone just starting back up after a hernia surgery. even a get back into lifting routine anyone has done would be a help. i have been out nearly 2 months.

i am avoiding lat work right now though. the only thing i ever reall did was rows and i know that hit the stomach as well. if there are other lat exercises that wouldnt i'd like to hear about them, but i figured anything that stresses the lats is going to stress the stomach as well.

i'm thinking about keeping leg work to kung fu for now too, but im not entirely sure.

yu shan
05-30-2002, 07:48 PM
GDA

Take a bit more time off weight training, heard 12 months on a hernia.

IronFist
05-30-2002, 11:00 PM
Hmm, I dunno dude. Tensing your stomach during a lift helps to prevent a hernia, but if you can't fully flex it it might not work.

Honestly, if no one here knows I'd head over to dragondoor (http://www.dragondoor.com) and ask Pavel. He would probably have an idea, or maybe someone over on his board has had a hernia before.

What did the doctor say?

Good luck dude,

IronFist

stoli
05-31-2002, 03:18 AM
Have seen more hernias than I care to remember, mostly from the inside !! Have discussed post surgical care with lots of doctors and surgeons and personally I would suggest laying off any weights until you can go about your daily routine and job without feeling any discomfort. When you do start back start light and watch your form. Your body is likely to have altered it's lifting position to protect the weakened area post surgery so you have to be aware of this and check you're lifting correctly

:) :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-31-2002, 09:41 AM
the hernia was actually inguinal (sp?) and i very very rarely have any discomfort. the doctor said i should be alright in 6 - 9 weeks. its been about 7 or so now. im fine at class (though it will be a while before i have the medicine ball slammed into me again) so i figure i should be alright to start out light like you said.

i hear what your saying iron, but couldnt i get away with just doing lifts that will not tense the stomach hardley at all? i was thinking of the dumbells and seated positions so that i wouldnt even have to strain my stomach getting a heavy bar in position.

wall
05-31-2002, 10:55 AM
He was obviously a peak shape athlete with multi million dollar coaching and medical support, but I remember reading a few years ago that Linford Christie (the sprinter) got a nasty inguinal hernia on monday, was operated on thursday, was back to light training the following thursday, and by the thursday after that was back to his normal routine including benching double his bodyweight for reps!
Perhaps a bit optimistic for us mere mortals without top medical and coaching assistance 24/7, but certainly pretty confidence inspiring for a quick and full recovery.

wall

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-31-2002, 11:03 AM
d@mn