PDA

View Full Version : A "Hung Sing Ching Jong" question

DRAGON32
05-30-2002, 01:56 PM
A question, as I know, GM Lau Bun didnīt know the form of the Ching Jong of the Choy Li Fut, since Chan Heung tough it when he was old and Jeom Yim wasnīt with him. Nevertheless in a Hung Sing USAīs web site , appears a photo of a person (Frank McCarthy) trainning with Ching Jong, How could they learn this form? Which is the line of transmission?

Question only by curiosity. Thanks for the answer in advance.

Besos:D

Fu-Pow
05-30-2002, 03:04 PM
I don't think that you necessarily need to know the form to practice on the Ching Jong. If you know how to apply your techniques then you should be able to get by without a formal set. This has been my experience. BTW, LKH's lineage is hung-sing but we have a Ching Jong set. Maybe it comes from somewhere else.....mysterious!!!!

DRAGON32
05-31-2002, 01:20 AM
Fu-Pow

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you can apply your techniques, and you donīt need the set; but I think that each set have something that you can learn; footwork, distance, cadence, angles....., for that Choy Li Fut Ching Jong isnīt like Wing Chung Ching Jong.

When you learn well any one set , you understand, and you can to work freely. What for to learn any set?, whit the techniques is sufficient.

However my question was dirested to Hung Sing America Branch, linage GM Lau Bun.

Besos
:D

kei lun
05-31-2002, 07:03 AM
Wing Chun doesnft have a Ching Jong. That name refers to the action of the dummy, that it has a balancing-arm in the middle, thus gChing Jong/balance dummyh. The Wing Chun dummy is simply called Mook Yan Jong (wooden man dummy).

Kei Lun

DRAGON32
05-31-2002, 08:08 AM
Kei lun

Yes, you are right.

I donīt speak English, I speak Spanish and sometimes when I am translating I commit some errors.

Thousand excuses and thanks for the rectification.

Besos:rolleyes:

mixxalot
05-31-2002, 09:22 AM
Hola Dragon32,

Bueno, mucho gusto. Puedo traducer para ti si quieres. De donde eres? Yo vivo en California. Eres estudiante de Choy Li Fut en las artes marciales? Tenga buen dia.

Scott

DRAGON32
05-31-2002, 10:25 AM
Gracias por la proposición.

Soy de Espaņa, estudiante de Choy Li Fut, mi Maestro se llama Pedro Rico, alumno del GM Doc Fai Wong.

Besos.:D

GOLDEN ARMOR
05-31-2002, 12:13 PM
The Jeong Yim Lineage should have the Ching Jong. It's one of the primary level dummys. Yik-Wah-Tik should be able to answer this. Fu-Pow, this set could have come from ur Chan family side, since u have a mixed lineage. I'm sure that Buk Sing have this dummy also but I dont know about the form. I read at V Laceys site that Tam Sam taught the Ching Jong but with no set form. But it's also written in the Chan Heung history section that Chan Heungs son Chan Koon Pak passed the dummys training down to Choy Kwai Yuen & his 2 sons as they had room in their home to install all the dummys. It says that among the group training there were many well known martial artists, such as Chan Yiu Chi, Tarm Sarm, Wong Fook, & Ngan Yiu Ting. The ching jong looks like a good dummy to learn, especially for conditioning, footwork, & attacking from different angles. I've seen a few of my sihings training on it (should say hammering the sh!t out of it), It looks like a very aggressive form. I could imagine my instructors/sifus going hard on it, it must be very hard wood. I like how there is pads on the front & sides to attack & the single arm at the top for latching. There's a cool move I seen where u attack low then explode with a elbow uppercut (Pow Jang) to the top arm. Snapping the opponents arm. This will be a good form to perform at demos to show the aggressive attacking, footwork, & POWER of Choy Lee Fut. I agree that u can train ur tech's on the dummy but as Dragon said u will learn all these other things in the form. Plus the form will make the footwork, attacking from angles, & tech's start to flow & come naturaly quicker when u master the form.
Have any of u guys learnt the Sa Bo Jong: Sand Bag Form? What did u think of it?

once ronin
05-31-2002, 12:24 PM
sa bow jong is fun, its made with four swinging arms and a body.

all good choy li fut have a way of conditioning or else to apply choy li fut one would hurt one's self.

premier
05-31-2002, 12:32 PM
Oh. Is that some kind of deluxe sao bao jong? =) I've always lived under impression that sao bao jong is a sand bag dummy. There's also a wall bag sao bao jong, which is different form than the sand bag one, but it's not one of the original 18 dummies. I'm not sure where it came from.

premier

mantis108
05-31-2002, 01:42 PM
I am not a CLF practitioner but I have seen a book on the CLF Ching Jong form featuring Sifu Ho Ngau (ox). Is it ever impressive! This small book IMHO is really a great piece of work. CLF has some great stuff.

Regards

Mantis108

yik-wah-tik
06-02-2002, 12:32 PM
yes my branch has this set. it is not a chan set. but i believe my sigung jew leong may have put our set together. i must admit, it is a **** good set. i have seen dummy sets from other families and branches and i saw similarities in techniques, but ours is a **** good set. our ching jong is the same as any other ching jong, the photo where i was doing the dummy was in my sifu's school. it is an old as dummy. more than 25yrs old. and it has suffered numerous beatings. but just like a clf man, it still stands in the end.

anyone can make up a set for the ching jong. it is the techniques that will make the difference. i hope to put our dummy set on video soon. i am sure most of you would appreciate this set.

i haven't seen the chan family set tho. i am interested.

frank

DRAGON32
06-04-2002, 01:18 AM
yik-wah-tik

Do you believe it or do you know it?

If the set is Sifu Jew Leong īs creation, why this type of Jong , why he donīt utilized another Jong?

Where Sifu Jew Leong saw this work, this techniques ?

I hope that you answer me this time.

Besos:D