PDA

View Full Version : Starting Forum Discussion!!!

Tsuruken
05-30-2002, 07:18 PM
Hello all,

I'm interested in starting some in-depth discussion on the White Crane arts. I invite all to have a look at our own web site dedicated to this subject at:

http://home.austarnet.com.au/tsuruken

and then use this esteemed forum to ask questions or to start some serious discussion on the various aspects of the art be it Chinese, Tibetan or Okinawan aspects of the White Crane Art.

Hope to be hearing from you all soon!

Hiram
05-30-2002, 07:48 PM
What similarities and/or differences do you see between your art and the White Crane arts practiced in Taiwan?

Tsuruken
05-31-2002, 12:04 AM
Hi,

Great to hear from you.

The Paihequan we teach originates in the Paihequan Wuyangkuan of the Lio Chin Long and Lio Yin Shan families of Taiwan so in essence it's Shihequan (Feeding Crane-Fist) which in turn encompasses the Minghequan (Whooping Crane), Feihequan (Flying Crane) etc. So in this respect, very little differences. We teach the art as it is in taiwan, small groups, personalised instruction, no fussing, bowing and endless kowtowing.

As for the Okinawan Tsuruken, then its main influence is from Wu Xianhui or Wu Xiangui (1886-1940) as he was known in Okinawa. Gokenki (also known as “Yoshikawa” in Japanese) was at one time a student of the famous Aragachi Tsuji Pechin Seisho (1840-1918) and Xie Zhongxian or Ryuruko as he was known in Okinawan history. Xie Zhongxian (July 1852-February 1930) was a master of the Whooping Crane (Minghe-Quan) style and was the teacher of the famous Higashionna Kanryo of the Okinawan Gojuryu style.

Gokenki’s Fukien White Crane-Fist greatly influenced the development of both the Shurite (“Suidi”) and Nahate (“Naphati”) forms of karatedo and may well have been the vehicle via which the treasured “Wu Bei Zhi” or “Bubishi” text was introduced into Okinawan martial arts culture. It is believed that the “Er Shi Ba Bu” or “Nepai Quan” kata a form of Chinese Minghe Quan Gongfu (Whooping Crane-Fist) and descended from White Crane-Fist founder Fang Qiniang, was also introduced to Okinawa by Gokenki. His art mainly came to him from Wu Songmu who learnt KMinghequan. The style is mainly Whooping Crane derived although over time, the Okinawan way has had some influence on the forms. I am fortunate in that my instructor sought out the Chinese originals of the Okinawan forms.

If you go to our site and the "Crane-Fist Pugilism" page you will gain a greater insight into that which we teach!

This is great, lets keep the discussion going!!!