PDA

View Full Version : Mid Range Problem area

Kungfu boy
05-31-2002, 03:43 AM
Hi All,

Got a small problem you guys might be able to help me with. I have been training for one full year at my school. (not counting the other 3yrs which were on and off with other styles)
I can kick like a mule, and I can do fine in the clinch. I just can't box worth a crap. I have been trying for a full year to get the hang of it, and I just can't get it to work for me. I can do great with it on pad work, just not in a fight/sparring.

Any ideas on drills or such that might help me out? I know I should just do it, but it just doesn't seem to want to work for me.

Later guys and gals

stoli
05-31-2002, 03:52 AM
If just getting stuck in and doing it isn't an option (it does hurt but is worth it in the long run ) then the best advice I can give might be to take it slowly, work in a progression, the same way you probably did when learning to punch on pads.

Start by working your sparring just using your jab for a round or two with the other person doing the same, then step up to, for example jab / cross for a few rounds and so on. This takes some time but is well worth it, just keep adding punches until you're going at it !! If you know a good boxer he might even let you throw punches at him without firing back (working on his defence) which will sure help build up some confidence in your boxing.

ged
05-31-2002, 05:52 AM
i can never figure out if boxing is a good idea for someone like me whos triyng to learn kung fu. i guess it depends on the definition of boxing - are you trying to trade punches? or just put together combinations? if youre trying to 'learn' kung fu, maybe practice dealing with punches then quickly countering. then you wont need to box.

05-31-2002, 06:05 AM
You are probably thinking about it too much - don't think - just do it. If you can hit a pad you can hit a person.

05-31-2002, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by ged
i can never figure out if boxing is a good idea for someone like me whos triyng to learn kung fu. i guess it depends on the definition of boxing - are you trying to trade punches? or just put together combinations? if youre trying to 'learn' kung fu, maybe practice dealing with punches then quickly countering. then you wont need to box.

If you want to box then box, if you want to learn kung fu then learn kung fu. If you want to learn kung fu but feel your school doesn't spar enough for your liking then find another that does.

Kungfu boy
06-02-2002, 03:29 AM
you might be right about me thinking too much about it but there is a difference between a pad and a person. And frankly I have been "doing it" for a year now and not had success. Its a real big hole in my game and it sucks. I do constantly work on it, its just the one thing that really eats at me alot. It just kills me.

SevenStar
06-05-2002, 09:44 PM
Where exactly does the prob come in? are you slightly afraid of eating a punch? I know people with that problem and their fighting suffers because of it.

Do you get 'lost' or confused with your punches once you are in? if so, work your combos more.

Do you have trouble moving into punching range? work your footwork

yu shan
06-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Any Mantis schools in your area?

Kungfu boy
06-07-2002, 03:39 AM
No mantis schools I know of.

My footwork is coming along. Its just that eveyrything I throw is blocked, scooped or over shot.(meaning they hit me 1st by going over my punches)

Cyborg
06-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Find a friend who has control, each of you take hold of the same 4' staff, (wear pads, as many as possible to begin with) and whoever lets go of the staff with both hands loses! This drill isn't the greatest for boxing but it's great for infighting. Knees, low kicks, elbows, headbutts and punches. It's alot of fun if you both have control.

fa_jing
06-07-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Kungfu boy
My footwork is coming along. Its just that eveyrything I throw is blocked, scooped or over shot.(meaning they hit me 1st by going over my punches)

Everything you throw?? You aren't throwing combinations, sounds like one-shot and change range. Maybe you are head hunting, and have become predictable to your sparring partners. Try this: develop a powerful lead to the body. You can't go straight in with this, you need to drop your weight and head a little and to the side so your head isn't a stationary target, and cover automatically with your other hand. If you are successful in drawing their guard down, then come high to the head with either hand. It works.

Always throw your punches in bunches. :D

BTW, I had pretty bad punch range skills when I started out, too. Mostly from the defensive perspective. I don't know what I did to improve exactly, but eventually it got much better. Same with closing distance, which I was also weak at. Keep at it, and time will help you improve.

-FJ