PDA

View Full Version : Question for NHB and BJJ stylists?

MightyB
05-31-2002, 11:23 AM
I was wondering why so many BJJ and NHB stylists hang out on Kung Fu Online?

Why do you keep coming here if you don't like Kung Fu?

I don't have anything against you guys and girls, Heck, I don't think that anybody who's interested in fighting has a problem with the training and focus on reality that NHB and BJJ stylists do.

As a matter of fact, I think that most people on this forum crosstrain, but we still respect the traditional styles. It seems that he BJJ and NHB only guys who really have no basis of comparison do nothing but down the traditionalists. So, why do you come here? Don't you have your own forums to go to?

dezhen2001
05-31-2002, 11:24 AM
i never thought of that lol :D

david

Merryprankster
05-31-2002, 11:28 AM
I had a friend that was interested in Kung Fu, and asked here about finding him a place to train.

I liked the feel of the place and I stayed. Especially when I saw some threads re: grappling that were just flat out wrong.

It's a public forum, basically, and I like being here.

I like to think I'm reasonable and mostly respectful. I'm sure somebody else would disagree with me, but that's their perogative.

apoweyn
05-31-2002, 11:34 AM
i disagree.

just kidding.

the question is why would anybody want the BJJ and NHB people out of here? the fact that they might challenge your view isn't grounds for leaving. is it?

admittedly, sometimes it gets too heavy handed. (honestly, i thought knightsabre's post fell in that category.) but i think you'll find that the genuine BJJ/NHB types here aren't disrespectful of tradition itself. only of the 'outs' that people take in the name of tradition.

the people who take those outs aren't traditional anyway. they're half-arsed. and no style or training method has a ban on half-arsed practitioners.

stuart b.

MightyB
05-31-2002, 11:46 AM
Apoweyn,

Most of them do offer constructive advice and I agree that being inflexible is downright stupid on the part of the hard-liners (traditional or NHB), but, most of the BJJ and NHB people don't seem to like it here.

apoweyn
05-31-2002, 12:04 PM
mightyb,

"Most of them do offer constructive advice"

"most of the BJJ and NHB people don't seem to like it here"

i doubt those two statements can both be true. personally, i agree with the former. but if they genuinely didn't like it here, why would they bother doing so? why would they contribute to discussions?

in contrast, if they do like coming here, why? to mock kung fu? not exactly. again, why would they contribute constructive advice if their goal was to mock?

as i said, i thought that knightsabre's post (which, i assume, prompted your question) was heavy handed. but he's been a good resource to this board. besides him, think about the other BJJ/NHB types present on this board for a moment: merryprankster (who likes to make people think) and ryu (i dare you to find fault with ryu). :)

please don't mistake being challenged for being distained. it represents a different sort of inquiry. not an insult.

stuart b.

p.s. in the interest of full disclosure, i'm neither BJJ nor kung fu.

red5angel
05-31-2002, 12:09 PM
MightyB - I think if you watch which MMA NHB guys post here you will see who are the respectful and knowledgeable ones. Besides, getting them off this forum is like trying to get gum out of your hair! ;)

apoweyn
05-31-2002, 12:15 PM
the key is peanut butter, red5angel. i have no idea why, but peanut butter gets the NHB guys right off the board.

[shrug]

Dark Knight
05-31-2002, 12:29 PM
Im with MP. I hold Black belts in a couple styles, and i hang out on a couple forums for the same reason. I go to MMA forums and they make wrong remarks about Karate or Kung Fu styles. TKD guys who make outragous statements about judo and Ju-Jistu guys (my favorite is the TKD guys who sday a ju-Jitsu guy has never seen a round house kick and would not know how to defend against it., or All styles came from TKD)......

I come here because I like the atmosphere for now and the grappling/reality post are interesting when someone is making assumptions.

We have some people on this board who have good knowledge and its nice to have conversations with them.

Merryprankster
05-31-2002, 12:32 PM
Just for the record, I don't think there's anything that precludes a KF practicioner from being in the fight world.

The biggest thing we really stick on is "prove it." That's really all we ask. We just want to be shown. We won't take it on hearsay--and that seems to make many people upset. I can point to videotaped ringfights of people being successful with a certain "style."

The biggest problem is what I call "King of the Kwoon." They talk about their instructors being great because they saw him do 'x' to a nobody who walked in and challanged. Or they've felt him do 'x'. Or they rarely spar with anybody outside the kwoon. The thing about sportive full contact comps is that it's all comers, all styles. You win once or twice, and it's no big deal. You establish a winning track record, in some big venues against some decent opponents. It's open record, and there's no hearsay.

It's a bigger pond than the kwoon.

I also definitely believe that there is no need to prove it in the ring if you don't want to, and that just because you haven't doesn't make you a bad fighter. But when folks want to claim certain abilities and prowess, then provide one or two bits of anecdotal evidence, vice an entire body of anecdotal evidence from coorborrating sources or recorded evidence (like a fight video)--well, that's not enough.

Polaris
05-31-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by MightyB

Why do you keep coming here if you don't like Kung Fu?

I never said that. The fact of the matter is I've done "Kung Fu"
in the past, and probably will again in the future. For awhile, when I began training here I only went to the BJJ classes, and was hesitant to go to the Muay Thai due to it clashing in some ways with my previous training. Then I figured I may as well do it, and try to combine aspects of both.

I've experienced quality "Kung Fu", and therefore have much
respect for it. The problem is that the quality stuff isn't very
common.

Brad Souders
05-31-2002, 01:11 PM
I've done a san shou tourney that means i can stay and you have to leave merryprankster. :)

I personal think there is better conversation in general on this forum than on MMA forums. Most of those are ego drive. Besides aren't people just people where they train in a uniform or a pair of shorts it's still respect. My teammates are like brothers to me and i'm a very easy going person and instead of people looking down cause i train more of the "sport" aspect maybe they should just listen to what i say and maybe pick up somethings. Cause u know i'll still it off u. :D
I feel the arts i've trained in should fit in here somewhere
BJJ,Sombo,judo,aikido,thai boxing,boxing,savate,wing chun,kali,dumog,silat,jkd
Shouldn't one of these allow me to stay :confused:

MA fanatic
05-31-2002, 02:51 PM
I have to agree with Dark. I go on several forums when time permits. Usually during my shift breaks, lunch breaks or between therapy groups I treat myself to a few minutes reading and answering posts on several forums. I have cross trained in several martial arts, and do tend to correct mma practitioners when they make arrogant statements about traditional arts. Just like I put in my two cents worth when ever traditional martial artists make ignorant statements about NHB. As for BJJ, that is as much a traditional art as any other (it is certainly as old as many traditional styles such as aikido, japanese karate...no okinawan, and even tae kwon do).
MA fanatic

Merryprankster
05-31-2002, 02:54 PM
I'd also like to give props to guys like Shooter, who are showing that TMA's have fighters.

Shooter
05-31-2002, 03:07 PM
Merryprankster, just when I get a hankering to have a go at you, you pull something like that. :D Stop anti-trolling my counter-trolling...it's too confusing. ;)

Merryprankster
05-31-2002, 03:13 PM
Hey, man, I respect what you do. We have our disagreements, but I want to make clear they stem strictly from something that is actually "rhetorical," in the classic sense, referring only to logical argument, vice martial, in my mind.

I'm quite sincere in my praise of your school and Jeremiah's success. And, as always, if I'm ever up your way, I'd love to drop by and train at your place. Sounds like my kind of gym.