PDA

View Full Version : Nei Gung

Jade Dragon
05-31-2002, 02:49 PM
could anyone please give me any information on nei gung? Also is it true it is used by the shaolin school to obtain internal energy?

Walter Joyce
06-03-2002, 08:00 AM
All I can offer is my understanding.
Nei gung translates into internal skill, loosely. While not necessarily an iron clad rule, it is different from chi gung (or qi gung) in that it does not focus primarily on the breathe, but on other internal skills, such as opening and closing the joints(especially the spinal column), lengthening inwards and outwards of the soft tissue, learning to pump up the sinovial, cranial, and other fluids of the body and learning to sink the qi to the dan tien, store it there, and then release it to other areas of the body.
This list of skills developed through nei gung discussed above is not an exhaustive one, but it covers the areas I am most familiar with. While I have read of shaolin practices that are classified as nei gung, it is my understanding that nei gung is part of the nei jia arts, or of a taoist or wu dan origin. I will defer to the historians, other scholars and those who are more adept at defining such disctinctions (or lack thereof) in this area (wai jia versus nei jia).