PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Ryu and judo practitioners,need help

NorthernMantis
05-31-2002, 08:21 PM
This weekend I will be sparring with my friend who knows judo and I think he said he was a blue belt.

Is there any advice anyone would want to share with me like what to watch out for,strenths and weaknesess?

Thanks in advance

the little green bug

Ryu
05-31-2002, 09:05 PM
Well it depends on his skills really and if he's cross trained in anything else.

If he is strictly judo trained, watch for him to move in, try to smother your strikes, and get you off balance to either sweep your legs out, or throw you.

Ashi waza (foot techniques) seem to have a higher percentage of working then fancy throws. I'd look out for sweeps with the front foot, and possibly some basic throws like ogoshi (hip throw) or things like ura nage (suplex), ushiro goshi (body lock drop), or maybe koshi guruma (headlock throw). Most judoka at bluebelt level are good with a basic osoto gari (outside clip).

It won't do good to tell you what moves to look out for. What will be most important is be careful of your balance. If he breaks your balance, you're probably going over (if he's good). If he clinches with you, keep your hips far away from his, don't let him press his hips close to yours. Don't try to out "throw" him. But try to get out of clinch range. If he doesn't know how to punch, you can stick jabs at him, etc. Kick low at his legs, etc. The main thing is to watch your balance, and keep your hips away when (if) he clinches you.

(It's easier said than done. :) Have fun with it though. Sounds like a good time.)

Ryu

DelicateSound
06-01-2002, 05:48 AM
Learn to fall.

If it's sparring as in full contact, keep him at bay. If he gets in close I'd say to sink your weight to try and avoid the throw.

Do not let him get you with a Sode-Tsuri-Komi-Goshi.

You will NOT get up.

Trust me.

NorthernMantis
06-01-2002, 07:32 AM
I'm very sure he is strictly judo related althugh he told me he used to do tae kwon do.

Thanks alot guys.

The head lock throw sounds very interesting. How does that work?

Merryprankster
06-01-2002, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I'd go with the watch for the smothering thing.

Are you sparring with or without a gi type thing?

NorthernMantis
06-01-2002, 07:46 AM
I was was not to sparr with a shirt on by my older kung fu brother but I haven't really talked it out with my friend about it yet. I'll give him a call later on and see if he's sitll up to it and how it will go down.

Merryprankster
06-01-2002, 07:51 AM
I was just curious.

Be prepared to have him use your clothing in ways you think odd :)

NorthernMantis
06-01-2002, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the tip. There wont be any wedgies will they?

Merryprankster
06-01-2002, 08:13 AM
If he has long arms and likes the deep over the back grip, kiss your testicles goodbye :D ;) (j/k)

DelicateSound
06-01-2002, 09:08 AM
If he gets a sleeve grip one one arm, just drop to the ground and pray. It's a Sode-Tsuri-Komi-Goshi. I had an old training partner who used to love them.

I have learned to fear them.

If you don't wear a gi you're destroying 90% of his arsenal, so he'll probably want to make you. Only fair.

Watch for the simple stuff like Harai-Goshi, O/Ko-Uchi-Gari, O-Soto-Gari and O-Goshi. They're easy to get and if he's good the simple stuff will be his bread and butter.

dragontounge2
06-01-2002, 11:01 AM
Keep your balance use a wing chun stances you know what im talking about? If he tries to tackle you you can phenoix eye punch him in the middle outer part of the shoulder blade causing his arm to go numb Then simultaneously move to the side and kick his inner knee with your full weight steeping down . This should make him collapse then go for a PIN. To pin him pull the arm that you struck with the phenoix eye into his back and hold his legs down. Understand? This can be used with any move exposing his back make sure he dosent knock you on your arse!:D

DelicateSound
06-01-2002, 11:05 AM
And next week: "How to defeat a rabid-tiger with just a set of chopsticks." Only on Dragontounge2.

dragontounge2
06-01-2002, 11:12 AM
Well I could give more advice if I knew more about judo grappling, and throwing moves. I kan kill A rabid tiger with one chopstick

Merryprankster
06-01-2002, 11:17 AM
Ah yes... another do this and this and this post....:rolleyes:

chingei
06-01-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by dragontounge2
Keep your balance use a wing chun stances you know what im talking about? If he tries to tackle you you can phenoix eye punch him in the middle outer part of the shoulder blade causing his arm to go numb Then simultaneously move to the side and kick his inner knee with your full weight steeping down . This should make him collapse then go for a PIN. To pin him pull the arm that you struck with the phenoix eye into his back and hold his legs down. Understand? This can be used with any move exposing his back make sure he dosent knock you on your arse!:D

hahaahahaha

dragontounge2
06-01-2002, 11:53 AM
:confused:

Le nOObi
06-01-2002, 12:07 PM
Keep your balance use a wing chun stances you know what im talking about? If he tries to tackle you you can phenoix eye punch him in the middle outer part of the shoulder blade causing his arm to go numb Then simultaneously move to the side and kick his inner knee with your full weight steeping down . This should make him collapse then go for a PIN. To pin him pull the arm that you struck with the phenoix eye into his back and hold his legs down. Understand? This can be used with any move exposing his back make sure he dosent knock you on your arse!:D \

That doesnt sound too mantisey to me

dragontounge2
06-01-2002, 12:53 PM
Just keep your weight sunk and PAk Sao the upper body and just apply the move .This an effective move for a tackle. Can you point out the problems?

Merryprankster
06-01-2002, 12:58 PM
Yes.

1. Judoka don't usually tackle people.

2. A tackle executed by an uneducated drunkard is far different than the takedown of an experienced grappler.

3. Keeping your weight sunk is a perfectly rotten defense to a leg attack. You can't just stand there and redirect. You have to move. I don't know why this myth keeps getting propogated.

dragontounge2
06-01-2002, 01:22 PM
Well unfortunately I dont know much about grappling arts.
I better word would be balance, keep a sturdy stance. I have used this move in a fight against a pimply jock.

Merryprankster
06-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Fair enough :) You were quite sincere in your efforts, that's certain, so no harm done.

Kudos to DragonTounge2!!! Slayer of the Pimply Jocks!!!

:D

dragontounge2
06-01-2002, 01:26 PM
LOL!:)

chingei
06-01-2002, 03:26 PM
Well unfortunately I dont know much about grappling arts.
I better word would be balance, keep a sturdy stance. I have used this move in a fight against a pimply jock.

:rolleyes:

NorthernMantis
06-01-2002, 05:08 PM
lol what have I done? the thread is mutating into a vs style post:D

Anyways I'd like to thank you guys for your advice but it doesn't seem like it will happen. I've been trying to call my friend but no one seems to answer. Turns out that this friendly sparring session turned out to be a dud, don't you hate those?:confused:
To tell the truth I'm a bit dissapointed since I'm trying to look for different stylist to spar with so I can get more experience but oh well there's always tomorrow.

Hey MP I was talking to another friend (who's kind of weird but is into wrestling) online and accidently told me about something sopuruse? [sp?] I asked him what it was and he said it was blood pool wrestling. It's not what I think it is I hope.

Ryu
06-01-2002, 05:11 PM
uuuhhhh...... is it WWF he's into?

I've never heard of blood pool wrestling..... (:confused: ) Maybe I'm just dumb... but I'd be careful of weirdos online talking about blood anything.... know what I mean? :)

Ryu

Merryprankster
06-01-2002, 05:12 PM
I have no idea what he's talking about.

Puroresu is the Japanese term for Pro Wrestling, to my knowledge.

I'm clueless on this one buddy.

Good luck finding a Judoka to play with :)

NorthernMantis
06-01-2002, 05:29 PM
Don't worry about it. I see that judoka at school. He's gonna get it from me if I don't hear from him tomorrow.:D

Ryu--

I know him very well but he's kind of on the strange side. I know what you mean.

Thanks again.

SevenStar
06-02-2002, 02:57 AM
be on the lookout for ippon seionage and uchi mata also.If he gets you on the ground, I can guarantee you he will be competent with pinning, so you may want to work on your bridging.

SevenStar
06-02-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by DelicateSound
[B
If you don't wear a gi you're destroying 90% of his arsenal, so he'll probably want to make you. Only fair.

[/B]

I dunno if I agree with that one.... he would still have the sweeping techs, grround techs and many of the throws, like ippon seionage can be done gi-less with no prob. some of the others can be modified some. I was working with a grappler friend of mine and caught him with tai otoshi - instead of his gi, I simply used his other arm.

DelicateSound
06-02-2002, 05:18 AM
Mmm. Not sure I can agree here Sevenstar.

Even with sweeps you need to control his upper body and upset his balance. That requires a lot of manipulation of the gi IMHO.

Yes, things can be modified, but it is so much harder to take a guy of balance without his gi. No nice comfortable over-the-top collar grip means a different fighting strategy that needs getting used to. Leg-grabs become much more prominant. Even in groundwork judokas use gi's for chokes etc.

Mr Punch
06-02-2002, 05:35 AM
One sparring session I had was effectively ended when somebody dug his fingers in behind my collar-bone, and took me down...:eek: wish I'd had my gi on for him to grab then!!

Kristoffer
06-02-2002, 06:07 AM
outch :) .. If it is a 'friendly' spar, then you should make the terms as equal as possible. Not giving anyone any advantage. That's my opinion.

SevenStar
06-02-2002, 01:25 PM
yeah, I left chokes out on purpose because alot of them require a gi. I agree that it is much easier to offbalance with a gi, but if that were the only way they could be done, then judo would be pretty much useless. I want to be able to throw regardless of a gi or other clothing, so I try to work the throws without a gi also. They are harder, but definitely possible.