PDA

View Full Version : How to develope proper foot planting techniques?

dragontounge2
06-01-2002, 02:47 PM
I want to be able to keep my ground on any surface.

Cyborg
06-01-2002, 03:30 PM
Hmm. I think that I don't understand the question. Do you mean you wish to be immovable? Or that you wish to never lose your balance (even when moving)? If you wish to be immovable take up sumo and gain 500 Lbs. If you simply want better balance then that takes practice. Lots of it. Take up judo or jujitsu if possible because those arts are great for taking the opponents balance away and you will thus learn more about your own.

Hope this answers your question.

dragontounge2
06-01-2002, 03:46 PM
I am looking for exrcises that will increase my balance on any surface. example not fall on my arse when walking during winter.

Ka
06-01-2002, 07:31 PM
take up gymnastics:D
I am sort of serious
or if you are into it circle walking of BGZ is good for balance and loading of each leg
and a heap of other benefits but I am biais.

David Jamieson
06-01-2002, 08:21 PM
Stance training and standing post chi kung will help you with this.

peace

ChiTaoWU
06-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Start skateboarding.
Skateboards are an actual modern day weapon and transportation with real applications and its legal to carry in th street. Builds great balance too! or get a balance board

Water Dragon
06-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Do you know how to hide your stance yet? It's a matter of making all the internal connections without looking like your doing a stance.

If not, practice your regular stance training until you can. If so, do your stance training on a bus or commuter train. I practice my stance holding to and from work on the train everyday. The curves help a lot, but it's the stops and starts that really build skill. Figure out how to make your center move with the momentum of the train.

As for the ice, learn to fall!

Merryprankster
06-05-2002, 08:59 PM
Ha-Ha!!!

Water, I do the same thing!! :)

SevenStar
06-05-2002, 09:09 PM
Train with a good judoka or shuai chiao player.

Also, I like WD's idea.

yu shan
06-06-2002, 09:30 PM
Finding your center, Good advice WD and SS!

greendragon
06-10-2002, 01:37 PM
yes, find center and sink it. also tai chi chuan basics would help balance and weight shifting. it is said that hsing-i stepping method can be used to move fast on ice.

PLCrane
06-10-2002, 10:24 PM
It seems like the older I get, the less likely I am to fall when I slip on the ice - my feet seem to stay under me, my spine stays vertical, and I just end up in a low stance.

The stuff I was training before I noticed this ability included practicing a lot of shuffle stepping, and learning how to let my hip and pelvic position determine where my foot will land when stepping, instead of trying to place my foot in the "right" spot. Lots of practice with short stances and shifting weight from foot to foot without moving the body. (Try changing from one stance to another by lifting both feet at the same time without jumping.) Did lots of silk-reeling, too. All that body awareness stuff sinks in eventually.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-11-2002, 02:19 AM
skateboarding is an awesome suggestion. man i miss the days. just the other night i ran up the front end of my buddies car and when my wingtips hit the trunk my feet suddenly weren't under me anymore. i was completely horizontal and had time to think about how bad it was gonna hurt when i cracked my head or tailbone. somehow i managed to get my hands behind me and caught myself on all fours face up. same way i'd always catch myself when skating years ago. my woman and friends just saw me kinda disapear when i hit the other side of the car and figured i got hurt pretty bad. they were suprised when i caught up with them and told them i was alright. fu ckers.

you could try running through the woods too. and i mean really goin all out. run across logs, swing on vines, do crazy cartwheels down steep hills, just be spontaneous and go as fast as you can without risking more than broken bones.

stance work is great, and will help allot, but for dynamic ballance i think any spontaneous and fast paced challange to your ballance will yeild the best and longest lasting results.

dragontounge2
06-11-2002, 06:01 AM
well, unfortunatley I already skate. I can still land a varial flip!:p :eek: :D