PDA

View Full Version : Fist post, general thoughts

Alkerian
06-03-2002, 05:20 AM
Well, this is my first post here. I'm 20, and I've trained in Shotokan Karate for 2 and a half years and in Bak Shaolin Eagle Claw Kung Fu for a tiny bit, maybe 5 or 6 lessons due to heavy academic work.

My interest in martial arts has always existed, yet only in this past half year, especially the last couple of months has it reached a peak.

I became aware that pursuing a martial art, a good one, one that suits you, can make you an overall better human being. It can elevate you physically, mentally and spiritually, and can go beyond just making you an fighting machine.

I see martial arts as not only a way for self defence as first comes to mind, but also as a tool to bring justice and peace around you in your local community, wherever you are, and a way to become one with nature, to live in harmony with what surrounds you.

Now I know the style vs. style discussion is a very popular one, yet it is an inevitable one in the field of martial arts.

From most people that I've talked to that have an interest in martial arts, the common view seems to be there is no "best style" that works for everyone, each person is unique and have to find out what style suits them best, yet, I have heard people say that there are usually better martial art styles that others IN GENERAL.

Now, my two or so years in Shotokan Karate showed me it was not an art for me. I was pretty good at it, got up to green belt (not that belts or ranks matter at all I've come to realize). Well, I became aware of my interest not only in the effectiveness of a martial art, but also of it's "artistic" aspect. I'm interested in martial arts that are both effective and beautiful, graceful.

Well, in those terms, Chinese martial arts seemed to be my answer compared to Japanese or Korean or any other nation's.

The phrase "Wu Shu magic" has ever remained impressed in my mind. I find it fascinating reading and hearing about legends of Wu Shu Masters, of the old Shaolin Monk Warriors etc. Their supernatural feats etc.

Well, I don't expect to dream of doing anything of such caliber, yet I am willing to learn. To learn continuously and regularly when I can and do my best and reach what I can.

Yet the first step in in finding the right martial art style, the right instructors and training centers.

Now, what I am most interested in hearing from you people is your own expereinces in any Kung Fu martial art you've practiced, and your views and opinions on the subject and my inquiries.

As I said, I've done some Eagle Claw, and saw a friend of mine doing some Wing Chun, yet I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

Alkerian

Alkerian
06-05-2002, 02:30 AM
hello?

respectmankind
06-05-2002, 02:50 AM
i was too lazy to think and thus didn't read your first post, but hello.

scotty1
06-05-2002, 02:52 AM
Hello.. what exactly do you want to hear our thoughts on?

I would certainly agree with you that Chinese arts in general are more aesthetically pleasing in their form than Japanese arts.

I would also agree that practicing MA are a good way of improving oneself, generally. But it depends what kind of person you are. A violent areshoe is not going to become a 'better person' through diligent MA practice. Most of the violent arseholes I have seen would not have the ability to attend practice repeatedly. Maybe if they did it would calm them down, teach them a bit of humility. Maybe not, I don't think you could make a rule of thumb about it.

We spend a lot of time trying to make rules of thumb.:)

A pretty good rule of thumb is not to pick at the skin around the nail, it starts to look pretty disgusting after a while.

respectmankind
06-05-2002, 02:58 AM
agreed with the second part that scotty posted. well, the fact that not all rules of thumb should be rules of thumb.

Former castleva
06-05-2002, 03:09 AM
Yeah,welcome to the boat.

Kristoffer
06-05-2002, 03:17 AM
Explain your name please.. And post your heart out :)

Alkerian
06-05-2002, 07:31 AM
Ah...I thought I would not post here again. Thanx for the welcomes anyways.

Well, first of all, I can't avoid the classic question of which style is better. I mean, I know it's up to the individual, but nonetheless I would like to hear your experiences with one art or another.

Also, I would like to know how you train physically.

For example, what are some things you could do in your own bedroom, just for like a half hour or so, to keep fit, as a break from work or somethign else you are doing.

As for my name, it is simply letters from my full name put together...I thought is sounded pretty cool...

does it sound funny? ;)

Alkerian

dragontounge2
06-05-2002, 07:39 AM
Well, In my own bedroom I practice on a wave master for like 30 min, then bench press, then do ab work, then do dumbells, then forms the back to wave master, and finally another set of abs and jump rope. 4 times a week.

Is that what you wanted to here? I practice wing chun for the most part.

Alkerian
06-05-2002, 08:51 AM
Yeah, and perhaps specific exercises you do for strength, speed and reflex development...

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-05-2002, 09:13 AM
dude you have a lot to learn. kung fu isn't really a matial art. it's an ancient sissy dance that encourages one to prance around like animals with no real matial intent. it may be good exercise for the pathetic and elderly, but it's certainly no means to developing even a low caliber fighter. kung fu is ok for learning to dance, but if i wanted to take kung fu i'd probably go with ballet instead.

i know you have other reasons for wanting to take martial arts, but if you want fighting to at least be some part of it you have to cross train in bjj and mui thai. there are no other options. these are the ultimate martial arts that have been proven to defete kung fu and other traditional styles in the ring time and time again. if kung fu were any good at all, a kung fu man would have at least placed well in ufc. no one has so kung fu obviously sucks.

Chang Style Novice
06-05-2002, 09:25 AM
Not so. Kungfu is so deadly that any real kungfu techniques are kept secret by tiny chinese men who will only reveal them to high bidders on E-bay.

Kungfu is so deadly, in fact, that not only is it immoral and dangerous to spar with kungfu techniques, but the forms that are used to teach kungfu don't even actually show the techniques themselves to prevent outsiders from learning the forbidden knowledge. That's probably where you're misunderstanding comes from.

And of course it goes without saying that every kungfu teacher except my own is a charlatan liar wimp and can't really fight.

Alkerian
06-05-2002, 09:25 AM
Hm...and why are the most famous martial artists masters of some style of Kung Fu or another? Bruce Lee, Jet Lee...?

Or do you think that all they do is show and coreography in their "fake movies" withotu any real skill behind it all?

And wuld you please expand on what bjj and mu whatever is?

ewallace
06-05-2002, 09:28 AM
Don't take GDA seriously bro. He is our resident drunk and is immitating a very entertaining troll named Ralek.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-05-2002, 10:33 AM
i thought it was a pretty decent imitation.

sad thing is that i havent drank anything since saturday.

trying to quit again.

"real kungfu techniques are kept secret by tiny chinese men who will only reveal them to high bidders on E-bay. "

haha

hughes
06-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Alkerian
Hm...and why are the most famous martial artists masters of some style of Kung Fu or another? Bruce Lee, Jet Lee...?

Bear in mind being famous doesn't mean someone is good.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-05-2002, 10:47 AM
*stops vomiting senseless idiocy for a brief moment*

"Hm...and why are the most famous martial artists masters of some style of Kung Fu or another? Bruce Lee, Jet Lee...? "

because kung fu is elegant and can be made to look very flashy. the movies are probably the worst thing to ever happen to martial arts so using jet lee to back up kung fu is not really a good idea. it's like using van **** to back kickboxing. jet li's movies do not display a remotely accurate picture of what kung fu is all about. it's brutal, sneaky, to the point, and very rarely pretty. don't get me wrong, if done correctly it possesses a differant type of beauty, but you have to actually be able to appreciate it.

ewallace
06-05-2002, 11:57 AM
sad thing is that i havent drank anything since saturday.
Quiter.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-05-2002, 12:18 PM
lol

Kristoffer
06-05-2002, 02:58 PM
Just for the record newbie, Jet Li do NOT do Kung Fu. He does modern Wushu wich is = to ballet. If you are going to start worshipping Jetty on these boards then I take my ****ing warm welcome BACK.
NOW WHERE THE HELL IS MY THEME SONG???

Alkerian
06-05-2002, 03:03 PM
Do not degrade the image of the entire board Kristoffer. Think twice, type once...

I never said I worshipped anyone, this includes Jet Lee...

Kristoffer
06-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Hmm.. You havn't posted here before as a Celestial Amboshi have you? :D I was only fooling around u know. (although I am a bit tired of people who knows nothing about Kung Fu, only talking about Jetty all the time)

Alkerian
06-05-2002, 03:18 PM
This is the first time I ever post on a Kung Fu board, and this is the first username I do it with.

Your attitude is nderstandable, but after years of posting on message boards, I've come to realize words in posts stay there for seemingly eternity, and it is almost ALWAYS better to write in the most civil manner as possible.

I am not a Great Grandmaster of Kung Fu, yet we all start somwhere, and those who know more should be patient and share their knowledge. And if they want to act like arrogant selfish people, they should not even be near "newbies".

Anyways, Jet Lee and Bruce Lee are admirable people, not matter how fake their movies or skills seem. They would not be famous if they were not skilled martial artists. The least they deserve is respect.

Alkerian

DelicateSound
06-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Mate, if you'd seen the Li Lian Jie thread you'd understand Kris' point.

:D

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-05-2002, 08:54 PM
leave kristopher alone ass hole!!!