PDA

View Full Version : Smithsonian Shaolin

GeneChing
06-03-2002, 10:31 AM
Far be it from me to recommend other magazines than Kungfu Qigong, but the May 2002 Smithsonian has a four page pictorial on Shaolin's Taguo school. The article is very short, but interesting if you understand the ramifications of being in the Smithsonian.

MrNine
06-03-2002, 01:28 PM
Gene -
As you stated, this is a very significant (albeit short) article on Shaolin. It is great to see the art we love so much gain some acknowledgement through one of the pre-eminent historical institutions in the world. Here is the link to the article (and pictures) online.

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues02/may02/kungfu.html

zhenwu
06-06-2002, 11:26 AM
ok, so i am post happy today. call it 'freetime at work?'

i agree that the recognition as a feature is noteworthy, but the article and the journalist's chosen perspective and understanding is TOTAL DOG ****...

Its grating to know that this ancient art is always reduced to western **** ant association, ie: Jackie Chan and Jet Li.,but then again, what can we expect?

No expectation, no disappointment.

diego
06-06-2002, 06:22 PM
whats wrong with jackie?, bet he trained harder then U

GeneChing
06-07-2002, 10:28 AM
And I figured they could have got much better pics with a little more work. I shoulda written it!:D

zhenwu
06-07-2002, 03:24 PM
yes, gene you should have written it!

you're journalistic abilities in this spectrum is worthy...

and to Diego... guess you missed the whole point... Jackie is definately bad ass. I'm talking about the hollywood stereotype of anything to do w/ martial arts. Did you read the article? how can you not take it as belittleing? Thats like saying everyone who goes to the army wants to be the next rambo? Read the article and don't be so insecure about jackie's position.

but $20 a month?! thats cheap:eek: and wow, thats pretty interesting to think that children really go to the tagou institute to secure a position in the police force, or army? it really is sort of a career oriented institute rather than like here in the states, personal enrichment... very interesting.

diego
06-07-2002, 04:57 PM
:cool:

I Actually haven't read it yet, I Forgot...

GeneChing
06-10-2002, 09:44 AM
...I probably would have mentioned Jackie myself:p