PDA

View Full Version : The "Incredible" Hulk

Shaolin Punk
06-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Does anybody know anything about what the Amazing Hulk will fight like? Ang Lee is directing it, so it's hard for me to tell. I don't think wire-fu would be appropriate here!

I think Hulk's fighting style should be more Shuai Jiao, Chin Na, and Hung Ga.

origenx
06-04-2002, 09:57 AM
The Hulk will be CG, not a live actor.

JOHNNY
06-05-2002, 01:46 PM
They just wrapped up some filming in San Fransisco the other week...

There's gonna be a scene where the Hulk throws a cable car down the street at some soldiers...

I don't think Ang Lee's gonna go for a Kungfu-y feel for this flick, I think he'll be leaning towards the internal Pathos of Dr. Banner & his Lady...

There'll certainly be action to be had... But I don't think anyone will be slugging it out with the Not so jolly Green Giant.

Check here 4 a tidbit... (http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1023154444,27995,)

Chang Style Novice
06-06-2002, 08:35 AM
The Hulk is Incredible, it's Spider-Man that's Amazing.</comic geek pedant>

Anyway, I read somewhere (don't care to check exactly where this minute) that the Abomination was going to be Hulk's big foe in this thing. I for one don't really care for the idea of a movie based entirely around a CGI created character interacting with real actors and props, based mostly on my dissatisfaction with the appearance and behaviour of Yoda in When Clones Attack Jedi! (next on Fox after a special Cops in Coruscant).

To make a really thematically interesting Hulk, I think Ang Lee is going to have to treat it more as a Jeckyl and Hyde kind of thing. What I'd do is make Banner the kind of guy whose temper has caused him problems his whole life: women leave him, he can't keep a good job, he's estranged from his family, etc.. When he's not p!ssed off he's a good, even brilliant guy, but he's always going off on someone for little or no reason and it's holding him back. When he starts turning into the Hulk, that just makes his problem 100X worse. Suddenly he's gone from being an angry loner with potential to a dude who needs self control or hundreds die and buildings are wrecked. The movie should be about the Hulk being Banner's enemy, not the army or some other muscleman being hulks enemy.

That sounds a lot like what Johnny described, actually...

Hau Tien
06-06-2002, 11:22 AM
Ahhh... every time I saw that topic I had to grit my teeth. "Amazing Hulk" indeed;) I didn't want to point it out, though... glad you did, CSN :)

I agree with you on the plot... I hope they don't portray the hulk in the same fashion as Spiderman... Spidey is a hero, sure... but like you said, the Hulk (And that's the title for the movie... they dropped the "Incredible" so it is just "The Hulk" now) should be Banner's Hyde.

Just my 2 cents:)
Hau Tien

@PLUGO
06-06-2002, 12:47 PM
I totally agree...

While I think the HULK vs. the Army will be there to please the action Movie going folks who will want to see stuff exploding, tanks getting crushed & soilders getting swatted around... I think a major theme will focus on Banner's struggle.
(IMO the Abomination would be better suited for a sequel... as well as the Leader foe.)

Did anyone see the HULK teaser that played with the Spiderman Movie?

It was all about Banner's tourment about "what's inside him lurking, waiting to burst out"... or something to that effect.

Besides... with Jennifer Connelly as the love interest, Betty Ross and daughter of General Ross the guy who should probably be funding the experiments that lead to the HULK's birth, there better be some major "forbidden Love" themes here as well...

In the Comic, Dr. Banner essentially suffers from Multiple Personality Disorder. It remains dormant for much of his life, with the repressed scientific intellect dominant. The accident that creates the Hulk unleashes other personalities & actually gives them form...
initially the Grey mean yet cunning version.
Soon after, the Green "Hulk Smash!" 10 ton baby throwing a temper tantrum (along with throwing a tank) version.
Even later, a Green mean yet intelligent Hulk.
and most reciently an almost reptilian pschyo version...

I suspect the movie will stick to a single Giant Green behemoth that probably does more growling than speaking (ala the TV series)...

But hopfully Ang Lee will explore more of Banner's psychosis taking it a step beyond just a duelistic Jeckyle & Hyde normal guy with a dark side theme.

The comic also treated the Hulks nature as alagorical to the Violence of his birth... The Gamma Bomb test explosion = the explosive violence of the Hulk's Anger...

The TV series played with this by turning the experiement into an exploration of the full potential of a mutated Adrenalin rush...

I'm curious how this will be treated if they proceed with the concept of it being based on Genetic experiamentation... or the development of a military "super soldier" ...as i remember reading...

Geek power Off.... ahhhhh:p

@PLUGO
01-27-2003, 06:37 PM
For any who are interested...

THE HULK trailer (http://savagexp75.tripod.com/images/hulk_tv_300k.asx)

Chang Style Novice
01-27-2003, 08:23 PM
To show my true geeksnootitude, I'm much more excited now that I've just learned that an "American Splendor" movie has been made and is kicking all kinds of bottom at Sundance. Now, if only it can find distribution.

HARVEY PEKAR - SMASH!

@PLUGO
01-28-2003, 10:22 AM
More on "Americna Splendor" Please Chang...

Chang Style Novice
01-28-2003, 12:11 PM
American Splendor article at IMDB.com (http://us.imdb.com/SB?20030127#2)

The Sundance Film Festival's page on the movie (http://filmguide.sundance.org/filmguide/filmnote.php?FCode=AMERI)

An article at Hollywood.com about the picture. (http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/article/1705733)

Entertainment Tonight Online has their say. (http://www.etonline.com/reuters/N23374479.htm)

This is all just from a google search of "american splendor movie." Pretty easy to find.

PHILBERT
01-28-2003, 10:35 PM
After seeing the Hulk trailer I had an orgasm.

@PLUGO
01-29-2003, 11:04 AM
AND he's got Purple PANTS too!!! :D :D :D

Chang Style Novice
01-29-2003, 11:57 AM
You guys have some wierd fetishes.

Serpent
01-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
You guys have some wierd fetishes.

This coming from you? Sheesh! ;)

Can't wait for Hulk!

PHILBERT
01-30-2003, 10:07 PM
I heard he was going to be naked in the movie and little Hulky (which is probably 3 feet long) would be cleverly covered up by his legs or shadows or something (like Austin Powers). Always wondered though why Banner, who is probably 6' tall and coming in at 175 lbs, probably a waist size of 32-34 at most, and Hulk who is pushing 8 feet tall and 1040 lbs, yet the pants stay nice and snuggly around the waist while ripped in other spots.

Serpent
01-30-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
I heard he was going to be naked in the movie and little Hulky (which is probably 3 feet long) would be cleverly covered up by his legs or shadows or something (like Austin Powers). Always wondered though why Banner, who is probably 6' tall and coming in at 175 lbs, probably a waist size of 32-34 at most, and Hulk who is pushing 8 feet tall and 1040 lbs, yet the pants stay nice and snuggly around the waist while ripped in other spots.

You can believe in a guy turning into an 8' green monster, but you can't handle that his pants stay on?

norther practitioner
01-31-2003, 10:45 AM
Little hulky? Is that the pet name you gave your jail house bf Phil? Aw, how cute.

PHILBERT
01-31-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

You can believe in a guy turning into an 8' green monster, but you can't handle that his pants stay on?

Yes.

Originally posted by norther practitioner
Little hulky? Is that the pet name you gave your jail house bf Phil? Aw, how cute.

No.

TaoBoy
02-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Bana playing Banner.
Genius casting.

I can't wait.

Eric Bana.
Ang Lee.
And most importantly Jennifer Connelly. Yum!