PDA

View Full Version : Caloric Restriction-Who thinks they could do this?

wufupaul
06-03-2002, 12:40 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/761035.asp?cp1=1 It seems like a pretty interesting article, but darn, I don't think I'd like to be skin and bones, hehe.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-03-2002, 01:25 PM
Michael Rae, a six-foot-tall 31-year-old from Calgary, Canada, weighs a gaunt 115 pounds after three years on a strict calorie-restricted diet. “I’d much rather weigh 50 more pounds, but I want to live longer and this is the only proven way to do it,” says Mr. Rae. “Every calorie you eat is a second off your life.”

"But many Cronies become irritable and snappish. Testosterone drops, causing some of the men to lose interest in sex. Several men have developed early signs of osteoporosis — a disease of brittle bones commonly found in elderly women. One Cronie suddenly found himself severely anemic. He had to start taking iron supplements and eating more red meat."

i think all normal people (haha ... im a normal person) would much rather live 50 fun years.

wufupaul
06-03-2002, 01:36 PM
I agree, GDA. On the plus side, we could take those skinny bone people and crack them in half.

tri2bmt
06-03-2002, 01:59 PM
Man, their kung fu skills must suffer.

IronFist
06-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
says Mr. Rae. “Every calorie you eat is a second off your life.”

Somebody actually said that?

Oh, geez.

But let's think about this for a sec. How can you tell if something takes time off your life? If you die at 75, how long would you have lived if you didn't do a certain activity, and how can you tell? Even with two clones in identical living condition in every way, you couldn't tell.

I haven't even read the article, but I might now because it sounds funny.

IronFist

IronFist
06-03-2002, 02:45 PM
btw, I hope they don't ever plan on exerting themselves while on their 1,540 calories per day diets.

IronFist

Cyborg
06-03-2002, 03:45 PM
How sad. Humans are such extremists. I believe in moderation in all things, there is a time for calorie restriction, it lets your body clean out all the "junk" that's accumulated. I have found that fasting for a day or 3 every now and then really gives alot of energy when you're done. It's an "oil change" for the body.
But those people are just starving themselves!!! Oh well... it's America, and there's just as many stupid people here as any where else.

I'm with wufupaul, if they get in my way I'll snap them in half!:p

taijiquan_student
06-04-2002, 10:42 AM
Actually, that guy mentioned earlier was a Canadian.:D

Nthman
06-04-2002, 11:55 AM
This is just utter B.S. It will really suck for the 115lb guy when 20 years from now he falls down the basement steps and breaks his neck or gets cancer, or gets hit by a car or whatever. I woul much rather live a happy short life than a long crappy life.

IronFist
06-04-2002, 12:06 PM
Plus, it will give support to anorexic girls (and guys) who can say to their parents "see mom, I told you not eating was healthy!"

That's not good.

IronFist