PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Society and MA.

Shadow Dragon
06-03-2002, 04:58 PM
Hi All.

I read an interesting article in the Newsparer today, kinda interesting for me as it impacts my Industry and all other forms of business.

Why we don't read Manuals! (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8275-2002May25.html)

This article highlites an important aspect of modern day society & consumerism and how goods are choosen, bought and used.

I also think that this type of thinking causes clashes between different societies and cultures and affects even politics.

And I think this has impacted & hurt the MA Industry to a large degree.

What's your Opinion.

dezhen2001
06-04-2002, 02:34 AM
LOL! That was a funny article - but it's a real shame :(
More how it reflects current attitudes towards EVERYTHING, not just technology. It's like i've seen that kinda thing at my Uni - how many students either a) buy fresh food instead of chilled/frozen dinners or b) can actually cook with fresh meat and vegetables? Not many i know that for a fact! Then they wonder why they always get so ill and feel sluggish and sleepy (not to mention because they drink and smoke so much!). Interesting though...

Like your avatar btw Shadow :D

david

Shadow Dragon
06-04-2002, 03:22 AM
Dez.

See ya in Chat later on.,

Hai_To
06-04-2002, 08:11 AM
That was a great article. I know I never read the instruction manuals. I'd rather learn by doing stuff. If I have a problem, or can't figure something out, I read the manual.

In relation to martial arts, it certainly reflects our culture today. We want something now, and we want it without too much effort. That's why so many McKwoons and McDojos are out there. They cater to the person who believes that a couple of weeks of martial arts will turn him/her into Jet Li. Its sad, but I think its symptomatic of our (read: American) society today. With so much available immediately, sometimes at the touch of a button, why would you bother to actually learn to do it for yourself? Why cook when you can order out? Its certainly quicker and easier. However, its certainly not as satisfying as cooking for yourself from scratch.