PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun in San Francisco. Please Help.

SF_McFLY
06-03-2002, 06:08 PM
I'm new to Wing Chun, in fact i've never taken a lesson before, but i'd like to get started on the right foot. I know that martial arts instruction can be hit and miss. I'm also new to San Francisco.

In your opinions, what is the best place in San Francisco to study Wing Chun?

I've been looking on the internet...what a mess. I can't find much of anything as far as whats out there, and i know there must be great places within San Francisco.

Is Wing Chun something that has a fast learning curve?, or is it something that will take years before i can actually use it for self defense? I feel somewhat threatened, sometimes, living in San Francisco and would like to begin aquiring skills immediately, just in case.

Merryprankster
06-03-2002, 06:15 PM
Where in SF are you living that you feel threatened?! WOW! I loved that city.

Anyway, you're SMACK in the middle of Kung Fu central as far as many are concerned. I'm sure you can find what you want :) I'm the wrong man--just was attracted to the post because of SF.

Make sure to have a few Irish coffees at the Buena Vista Cafe, and be sure to partake of some of the traditional Chinese restaurants. I'm talking about places that offer things like hot and spicy tripe and Hog Maws with black beans. It's better overall than any other place in the US, I think.

Cheers!

fantom
06-03-2002, 06:32 PM
A pak sao will be one of the first moves you should learn, and within a few leasons you should be able to use this to defend yourself.
Make no mistake though, it will take years of learning Wing Chun to defend yourself and initiate a counter.

You are in a strong wing chun area, try the following kwoons for the best location and training that suits you!

Chris Chan - http://www.uswingchun.com/
Kenneth Chung - http://www.bawcsa.org/
Dave Gustofson - http://www.moyyat.com/

Cheers

urban tea
06-04-2002, 05:15 AM
If you want to learn something that you can use immediately, you shouldn't learn any style of kung fu.

SF_McFLY
06-04-2002, 09:02 AM
I'm sorry, i didnt communicate my intentions completely in the earlier post. I'm very interested in all of the other benifits of Kung Fu, as well. I've got some previous experience with Tae Kwon Do, but I was only in it for about one year, and this was more than 5 years ago. I didnt feel like I gained as much spiritually, emotionally and physically as I could potentially obtain from Kung Fu.

Does anyone have any personal experiences with Wing Chun instructors in San Francsico? (good or bad)

Thanks~!

Marty

red5angel
06-04-2002, 09:14 AM
Do yourself a favor and go see Kenneth Chung. IT will take you time to develope good wingchun but your work and effort wil be worth it, especially if you are learning from him.

Siu Tze
06-04-2002, 12:15 PM
If you have the time and it seems like you have the inclination, you should go visit all the schools you find. Take it slow and visits are free.

Talk to the instructor and the people working out. After all it should be a match for you as it will become your home away from home (assuming you get serious at it).

If you are still not sure, then try each of the schools that you like best and give them a month each. Then decide. I'd also suggest not telling them you will do this. Some schools don't like this and I have known many who have been injured after telling the school they are about to switch.

Good luck! Maybe I'll bump into you.

aelward
06-04-2002, 11:07 PM
You wouldn't happen to be a student of Sifu Gary Lam, now moving between New York and San Francisco, with forearm tatoos that read "People Walk the Bow, I walk the String"?

Just wondering if I have met you before...

Siu Tze
06-05-2002, 11:46 AM
:p HAHAHAHA!

Hi John (at least I think it's you),

No I'm not a student of Gary Lam and I don't have tattoos, but I've meet you before. If you keep it to yourself, I'll give you the hint. It's not a big secret, but I wanted to keep it neutral and I figured I might get a more honest response if I didn't mention my Sifu, etc. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubts or second thoughts about learning from my Sifu. Just wanted to find some new friends and possibly some friendly exchange.

I meet you at one of the Wushu festival in SF. I've also meet your Sifu in Taiwan.

So can we meet sometime and you show me your moves? :)

Anon
06-06-2002, 12:33 PM
Sifu Garrett Gee is a jewel in the forest as far as i am concerned..
He works with you one on one and in my experience this is rare. You actually learn from the grandmaster himself.. great stuff..
219 Monterey Blvd

Grendel
06-07-2002, 11:55 PM
Re: Wing Chun in San Francisco. Please Help.

Try Planet Wing Chun http://www.wingchun.com/ for listings of more schools than you can shake a stick at.

Click "the location of our schools and class times" or the BayWC link.

Regards,

Das Moose
06-10-2002, 10:51 AM
San Francisco's in california, yeah?
http://www.wingchun.org/text/schools/usa/ca.html

Go there :-)