PDA

View Full Version : Future of MA

Chinwoo-er
06-04-2002, 08:31 AM
I was just thinking about this. But when it comes right down to it, in time, our earth will no longer be able to support life. Hopfully, by that time, humans will become a spacefaring species.

But if we start exploring the stars in ships without gravity ( lets assume that ), then what will become of Martial arts as we know it ? I mean, I have noticed two main things about most ( not all )MA moves.

(1) the power comes from our stance or body weight
(2) we have the advantage being on top.

Since we will have no ground to stand on, nor will our weight be a matter in 0 gravity, and neither is there the concept of up and down or top and bottom, how will MA change with our surrounding ? How can we throw a punch without sending ourselves flying back in the opposite direction ?

Ideas ?

dragontounge2
06-04-2002, 08:40 AM
Horse Latitudes

When the still sea conspires an armor
And her sullen and aborted
Currents breed tiny monsters
True sailing is dead
Awkward instant
And the first animal is jettisoned
Legs furiously pumping
Their stiff green gallop
And heads bob up
Poise
Delicate
Pause
Consent
In mute nostril agony
Carefully refined
And sealed over

Curtesy of Jim Morrison RIP

I hope it never comes to that.

ewallace
06-04-2002, 09:35 AM
The idea would be to hit your oppenent with as much force as possible with his/her/it's back facing the sun with no obstructions.

Royal Dragon
06-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Other than that, use lots of Chi Na, or by then, we will have artificial gravity like Star Trek.

The Willow Sword
06-04-2002, 10:48 AM
hopefully by that time we will have evolved to the extent to where we no longer need to fight,and instead we can put our minds to exploring our universe through either space travel or astral.

Many Respects,,The Willow Sword

MightyB
06-04-2002, 11:04 AM
The future is Military style combatives combined with enhanced cybernetic body armor and lots of guns and missiles... Janga Fett style.

DelicateSound
06-04-2002, 11:07 AM
[It's me versus Lisa Riley from You've Been Framed. Mainly 'cause she's a whining Yorkshire cow.]

First, I'd surprise Riley while she's in the command module and, back on wall, hurl a HUGE landing manual at her lardy head. As she turns around dazed you phlegm a zero-gravity boger at her.

It'll miss, but her dodge will give you enough time to get her in the face with Zero-Gravity Orange Juice.

As she's blinded, you drag her into the bogs and as her giant rubbery flesh creates a vacuum seal around the rim of that sucky-toilet thing, you press the button.

It should suck her internal organs out from inside her with the force.

greendragon
06-04-2002, 01:19 PM
As long as your feet are planted on the floor/wall/ceiling the opponent will absorb secondary impact. I don't think gravity will affect that.

Tigerstyle
06-04-2002, 03:38 PM
Don't need gravity to choke someone.

BJJ RULES IN SPACE!!!

Chang Style Novice
06-04-2002, 04:01 PM
just to be contrary wrt the header, in throwing arts it's preferable to be 'low man' so's to get the throw off more effectively.

But really, I agree with Tigerstyle and Royal Dragon with respect to 0-G fighting strategies. It'll be really wild, though, since a lot of Q-N and BJJ techniques seem to rely on gravity to keep the opponent from escaping. How are you going to keep the mount in 0-G if your opponent can just push you away to the ceiling? Mount becomes guard, I guess. How are you going to use a standing wristlock to immobilize your opponent if he can just float up in the direction of the pressure? I don't even have a hunch how that might play out.