PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Competition.

Shadow Dragon
06-04-2002, 08:47 PM
Hi All.

Here is a friendly Competition I would like to try.

Camp A: Are the Guys that say "Chi" does not exist but a "Human Soul" does exist.

Camp B: Are the Guys that say "Chi" does exist, but deny the existence of a "Human Soul".

Here are the rules:

Camp A: Must proove in words and by bringing relable facts to the table that "human Soul" does exist.

Camp B: Must proove in words and by bringin reliable facts to the Table that "Chi" does exist.

So People choose your Camps and lets get going.

Have fun People.

P.S.: Remember, this is a fun & friendly competition. So leave the gloves and flamethrowers at home.

ged
06-04-2002, 09:07 PM
i think that you might need to provide some definitions.

personally, i think that the soul is all in the brain, and chi is body mechanics.

Shadow Dragon
06-04-2002, 09:10 PM
Ged.

I know Chi exists because I have felt it during my studies.
I am not a Christian and thus the concept of Soul is alien to me and I can't find any proof of Soul in science.

So I am in Camp B.

Chang Style Novice
06-04-2002, 09:33 PM
The proof of soul is in Otis Redding records.

The proof of chi is the way my hands get warm and tingle while doing forms.

Not so scientific, I'll grant you.

Serpent
06-04-2002, 11:25 PM
CSN. That was perfect. This thread can now end.

Classic!

:)

Former castleva
06-05-2002, 03:20 AM
B.
I think chi is at least a good term to use.
Studying chi may be strange for one and probably a long process.
As a term:People sometimes say "master X had a great chi" which means=he practiced a lot.
Chi in traditional chinese medicine seems to be another thing,maybe IŽll start a thread for this.
IŽm not religious so IŽll say "human soul" does not exist more than any animal soul or related.
Human soul might be a decent term though,meaning something like an "I" or "you",a being,oneŽs appearance.

Ish
06-05-2002, 04:06 AM
i think star wars is all the proof you need that chi exists. Although they call it the force you can't argue with films

dragontounge2
06-05-2002, 06:07 AM
I think they are different interperitions of the same thing.

apoweyn
06-05-2002, 06:44 AM
shadow dragon,

why don't you get us started then.

you know chi exists because you've felt it. but that doesn't constitute "proving it with words and reliable facts."

so help us out.

stuart b.

Merryprankster
06-05-2002, 08:20 AM
Fallacy of the dilemma Shadow.

There are more than the two paths you have outlined. I am not forced to chose between them because there are other viewpoints available.

Such as not believing in a soul or in chi.

You don't KNOW chi exists because you've felt it in your training. That MAY have been psychosomatic. Good reasoning would require you to recognize that and start asking questions, such as:

1. Have other people felt it (I'm sure the answer is yes, so while that helps, it could STILL be pyschosomatic...)

2.What can it DO? (If it can DO something, you should be able to test that out from a repeatbility and causality perspective, etc)

And so forth...

What you FELT is a good starting point, but hardly lets you "KNOW" it exists. It's simply some evidence for its existence.

red5angel
06-05-2002, 08:44 AM
This is the infamous gremlin under my chair argument.

If I told you there was a gremlin under my chair, but you couldnt see it, or hear it, or touch it, it didnt interact with your senses at all. It didnt do anything but sit under my chair, you couldnt prove that it WASNT there.

But my favorite argument is the aliens at the airport. A freind of mine told me about something his sister told him once, a psycological experiment. You tell someone that aliens hang out at an airport. Now you tell them to go to the airport and think very hard about this phrase "I know you are here, show me a sign." and then tell them to watch very carefully for a sign. Eventually they will find a sign, becuase they are looking very hard for it.

apoweyn
06-05-2002, 08:51 AM
tried that once. but i kept getting distracted by my sculpted mashed potato mountain.

i have the attention span of a

red5angel
06-05-2002, 08:53 AM
ROFLMAO!