PDA

View Full Version : Term for Korean master

PHILBERT
06-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Ok you know how Kung Fu has Sifu and Japanese has Sensei? What is the term for master in Korean martial arts?

Chum Kil
06-05-2002, 08:44 AM
Sa Bom Nim or Sa Bom

Dark Knight
06-06-2002, 12:57 PM
Ok you know how Kung Fu has Sifu and Japanese has Sensei? "

Japanese styles also have Renshi, Kyoshi, Shihan, Hanshi and Meijin.

Dark Knight
06-06-2002, 01:01 PM
From the US Ju-Jitsu website:

Sensei - literally means "one who has gone before" is the term used for all instructors or teachers in any art or discipline. It is a term that is not used in connection to rank and anyone in the position of "instructor" may be referred to as "Sensei". Normally though, it is a title used to denote black belts of instructor level grade.

Renshi - First of three instructor grades. Presented at a minimum rank of 4th Dan. Normally would include Yondan and Godan ranks. Demonstrated ability to teach practical methods and basic techniques, and dedication to the martial arts.

Kyoshi - Second of three instructor grades. Presented at a minimum rank of Rokudan or two years after awarding of Renshi title. Demonstrated expert knowledge of the methods, traditions, teaching methods and techniques.

Hanshi - Third of three instructor grades. Minimum rank of 8th Dan. Minimum of 50 years of age and must already hold the title of Koyshi. Individual must be of outstanding moral and personal character. Proven leadership and contributor on a National level. Profound understanding of the techniques, history and traditions, and the spirit of the martial arts.

Meijin - As obtained the highest rank of 10th Dan. Awarded by Special Approval of this title is at the discretion of the Central Technical Committee. Awarding of a special rank certificate will be presented. Meijin translated to mean "Grand Master".

Shihan - Special Title indicating a "Head Instructor" or an "Instructor of Instructors". Minimum rank of Shichidan and holder of the Koshi title. Approval of this title is at the discretion of the Central Technical Committee. Awarding of a special rank certificate will be presented.

Former castleva
06-15-2002, 01:13 PM
"Sifu" or "sensei" in my opinion,is more like a "teacher",not literally "master",I guess it could be used though.
Japanese arts do have those previously listed titles for many different levels of teaching."dan" teacher levels.
I know there is a word in chinese for "master",I just donīt remember it.
These are only my opinions though.