PDA

View Full Version : Xingyi stance problem.

Tvebak
06-05-2002, 02:32 AM
One of my friends from my Xingyiclass have a lot of trouble doing that twisted low stance...cant remember its name.
He is a big guy and it seems that his legs are too big to do the stance, but i dont know if this is the problem...
If anyone has experienced something similair og have some advice i would like to hear it...

Mind Boxer
06-05-2002, 06:05 AM
I can't think of any other "twisted low stance" at the moment other than maybe dragon. Dragon is one of those stances that you just need time to get into, tell him to continue practicing and his body will probably adapt over time.

Felipe Bido
06-05-2002, 07:01 AM
If it's dragon stance, he'll have to adjust the height of his knees...what's the exact problem? He can't lower his chest, or he can't maintain balance?

Also, Tvebak, I read somewhere that you study with one of Lin Jianhua students. Am I right?

Tvebak
06-05-2002, 01:50 PM
You are correct...i study with Jacob Sonnenberg who is a student of Lin Jianhua...
I Think its what you call the dragon...its used a lot in the dragon form.
We tried the stance today...it seems my friends legs are simply unable to bend into the stance, also his thighs are so big that he cant bring them close enough for the stance...or so it seems...
It sort of interrupt his training when he cant do this one stance...so if theres an alternative to this stance that he can do then i would like to know...
Anyways he is working hard on the stance...maybe things will work out themselves.
BTW if anyone of you are in touch with Jacob by mail or otherwise, now would be a good time to send a greeting since he is getting married this saturday:)

greendragon
06-05-2002, 07:42 PM
Have him try a classic hook stance. from horse stance, left foot toes out a full 180, letting right foot turn up naturally on the ball to a vertical position,(don't let either foot leave the ground) r. knee a fist from the floor,center to left, spine straight, this is the stance used in the hsing-i tiger form. have him tend to center action/rotation moving into the posture. hope anything there helps

Tvebak
06-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Hey GD...thanks for the advice.
It seems there are a lot of more variations within xingyi than i have been aware of, i dont recall seing that hook stance in the tiger form that we practise, interresting:)
Another question...anyone of you practise with the toes on the rear foot pointing outwards in sanxi? I just saw a video where all the students did this...seemed to be a completly different way of moving and delivering power because of this little detail...

greendragon
06-05-2002, 08:19 PM
Tvebak, we use the hook stance with a low palm sweep after a forward double palm strike. ...on the back foot question, it may just work as long as you keep that center forward.