PDA

View Full Version : Traditional vs. Moderm weight training.

Shadow Dragon
06-05-2002, 05:06 PM
Hi All.

The article by Kung Lek on the rings has made me think.

So far I have always trained weights using the traditional Ma methods as advised by my Instructors.
I did weights for a time, but went back to the traditional method as I felt I gain more from it.

Which one do you think is more beneficial to the Martial Artist.

Traditional or Modern?

SevenStar
06-05-2002, 06:39 PM
Both - traditional for body hardening and muscle endurance and modern for raw strength.

scotty1
06-06-2002, 12:25 AM
Agree with Sevenstar. Both are available, why not take the advantages both offer?

I love bench press. :)

NorthernMantis
06-06-2002, 09:16 AM
Both are good for health but for fighting I would go with the traditional one. The tradiditonal one is more geared for fighting i.e. kung lek with blocking with the rings on. You could always combine the both though.

roughnready
06-11-2002, 07:11 AM
I believe the traditional way is better then the modern way. I believe it gets you better prepared. Either way, anykind of excercise is needed in martial arts.

Water Dragon
06-11-2002, 07:26 AM
Modern. To build raw strength
Traditional. To refine it.

The GREat Ro0ster
06-11-2002, 08:00 AM
i agree with water dragon.....im about 6 ft 265, and lift weights alot..if i didnt do martial arts, i prolly would be alot slower and alot less flexible than i am now, but mixing both in my opinion get you in overall shape better

Royal Dragon
06-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Well said, you beat me too it.

Basically, I lift 2 times a week when I can, or condition with a modern routine 2 times a week. then 2 times a week I do regular Kung Fu, mostly holding postures right now, and San Zhen, + I squeez my Taji in once a week (or more :) )

Modern exercises phisiology states the body changes the fastest and most profoundly with variety.

Try lifting, then about 20 minutes of traditional weapons, then a dynamic tension set, GREAT results I tell Ya!!!!:cool: