PDA

View Full Version : A look at Mantis and BJJ Strategy

mantis108
06-05-2002, 07:20 PM
This is inspired by Paul Lin's thread Mantis vs BJJ.

I would like to start by saying that Tainan Mantis gave a pretty good summary on how TJPM would approach fighting both standing and on the ground.

I don't speak for all TJPM schools but I am providing a personal view coming from my experience with TJPM. Also I am in no way an experienced exponent in BJJ. I am drawing on my experience with the limited encounters I have with a few friends in the ground fighting area plus the many readily availabe material from various sources. Any error and assumption that are drawn are solely mine.

Regardless of the style (ie Mantis or BJJ), there are but 3 stages in fighting like the 3 acts in a play. Set up, Passing the guard/defense, and finishing move (ie KO or submission).

For striking art such as Mantis these 3 stages starts right away while standing and as soon as the fight starts. Being aggressive is important. Mantis is unique in that it doesn't rely on punches and kicks to Knock out. To relie on punches and kicks would be Kickboxing not Mantis. So the strikes are a front, a screen, or a guard so to speak (an offense is the best defense.) A Mantis exponent view the opponent's action the same way. So the question is how to get pass the defense - passing the guard? Footwork, trapping and other Chin Na moves are used so that the mantis stylist can obtain the blind side (ie the back) or weak side (ie left hand side) of the opponent. Strike, throw or submission hold would be the finishing moves while the mantis exponent is on foot. Idealy, the opponet hardly put up a defense due to the aggressiveness and the lightening attack of the mantis exponent. However if the opponent manage to counter every thing and even capitalize on the falling which he/she uses as a counter, or he/she survives the fall and then initiate a ground fighting phrase, then the mantis stylist would have to resort to the few tools in the ground fighting techniques to handle the same 3 stages on the ground.

BJJ exponent set up the opponent while have his back on the ground known as the guard position. So the fight really starts once both fighters hit the floor. In this sense, BJJ is somewhat passive while standing yet it becomes fish in the water once the fight comes to the ground. The tendency of using the guard is similar to TJPM using Chitt Jow (cut elbow) as the set up. IMHO, Chitt Jow is the bread and butter of TJPM as much as the guard to BJJ. BJJ exponent would use the guard position to launch attacks (usually submission holds) or counter the opponent's attempt in passing the guard just as TJPM uses Chitt Jow to launch attacks. In certain situations, the fight would evolve into side control and mount positions. In those cases, they are the same as the mantis stylist failed to finish the opponent with a strike or throw and was drawn into a ground phrase. Ideally, BJJ exponent would finish the opponent in the guard position without going into the other 2 positions. This is totally possible if the opponent knows nothing of the ground fighting.

So there really is not much different in the thinking but very much different in the execution. Choosing the ground (pun intended) and the time, as in military terms, divides the arts apart.

It is clear to me that Paul Lin made a crucial point for Mantis and TCMA for that matter that the failure to fight standing is letting your opponent pass your guard and the fight becomes messy. In deed, it is Kung Fu to stand on your feet. All it takes is practice and more practice. If you are strong with your strand up skills (striking, grappling and throw), your guard is strong which essentially means your style is strong. Personally, as a Mantis stylist, I see the need to strengthen that area rather than chasing secondary measure (ground fighting). Having said that I have to stress that I would not come to this understanding without looking at BJJ. The reason to look into BJJ for me is to further my understand of my mantis not the other way around.

Merryprankster
06-05-2002, 07:56 PM
I think that's perfectly reasonable.

I have never said--GO LEARN BJJ! I've repeatedly said--go find out what they do. On the other hand, learning it won't kill anybody either.

I personally believe that training in BJJ for the sole purpose of learning to move on the ground would be beneficial--it would allow you to come back to your KF style with an understanding of how you might make certain things in the KF work on the ground, because standing and ground are so different.

As far as "what is preferable," that is really dependent on the situation. It may be that my preference, as my assailants friends advance on me across the bar, is to sweep, move to knee on belly, palm/elbow him in the face a few times, stand up, stomp his head and then run like hell. All of that can be executed in around the time it takes to throw a combination.

I think, what you are trying to say, is that strategically, they may be similar, but tactically, they are quite different thanks to their different modalities?

dre
06-05-2002, 08:54 PM
I sparred BJJ today. I'm an 7* Mantid. I did OK, about 40# victory, 60# defeat. This is sparring starting from the ground.

When I sparred the instructor I did considerably worse, but any instuctor of most arts could beat me up, so no big surpirse there.

Merryprankster
06-06-2002, 06:43 AM
dre, do you have any idea what belt rank the instructor is? What was his name? What belt ranks were the people you were sparring? Not trying to give you the third degree. Just trying to get a feel for it all :)

Congrats, by the way. Sorry you started from the ground. That couldn't have been fun for you.

mantis108
06-06-2002, 11:25 AM
"I think that's perfectly reasonable."

Thank you for the acknowledgement.

"I have never said--GO LEARN BJJ! I've repeatedly said--go find out what they do. On the other hand, learning it won't kill anybody either. "

I agreed but with the advice that one should have a grasp on his/her main art before experiementing with other arts, ie 3 months in learning one art (especially with TCMA) then jump ship is not a good idea.

"I personally believe that training in BJJ for the sole purpose of learning to move on the ground would be beneficial--it would allow you to come back to your KF style with an understanding of how you might make certain things in the KF work on the ground, because standing and ground are so different."

I agree.

"As far as "what is preferable," that is really dependent on the situation. It may be that my preference, as my assailants friends advance on me across the bar, is to sweep, move to knee on belly, palm/elbow him in the face a few times, stand up, stomp his head and then run like hell. All of that can be executed in around the time it takes to throw a combination. "

This is more or less the same (pretty much universal) strategy with a bar fight senario. The only problem is that lots of the supposed experts on these forum advocate otherwise and push for the "my style is best in this type of situation". Self defense is not a contest of style vs style. For that we have other venues to prove. This shows that you definitely are a reasonable martial artist who understands the distinction between self defense, arts and sports. :)

"I think, what you are trying to say, is that strategically, they may be similar, but tactically, they are quite different thanks to their different modalities?"

AND/OR "Tactically, they may be different, but strategically, they are similar because they are based on sound common principles of fighting." Just playing with words. :D Bottom line is be reasonable even in fighting otherwise it is just a brawl.

Regards

Mantis108

PS congratulations, Dre. :)

draco
06-07-2002, 08:25 AM
I believe BJJ is attitude, skill, strength and the ability to take alot of pain and still keep going. Oh and fear control.

This is in all arts. The philosophy is all up to you.

sungzu
06-13-2002, 09:30 AM
I THINK THAT THE PURE MANTIS STRATEGY WOULD DO WELL.

yu shan
06-13-2002, 11:00 PM
dre

Do you guys & gals not practice take downs/ground fighting in your 7*?

Ye Gor
06-14-2002, 12:39 AM
yu shan, are you saying your PM has ground fighting techniques?

One comment (sure enough to draw some ire): unless I'm hopefully out of touch, the Gracies have been dominant in the open ring arena. If PM is so great AND can deal with stuff on the ground... how come there is no PM in the ring?

It's all very good to talk theory, but where is the beef? (OK, whoever tries to put me down for saying this, one thing please: don't use the lame excuse of "there are still rules in those fights, you can't poke the eyes, bla bla bla, the punchers are handicapped more than the wrestlers...". The rules are as open as they're gonna get. Certainly more so then you'd use in your practice. And they're same for everybody. BJJ guys can poke an eye also. As well as break fingers and twist ears, which they refrain from doing.)

Here's an interesting comment about BJJ (reported to me by a freind who took a seminar with a Gracie.) The Gracie (one of the G brothers) said something like this: "Just cover up and close in, don't be scared to do that. In all of my years of open fighting, I've only been hit in the face once. Once."

And by the way, in terms of kung fu, I'm a Wah Lum guy (in disgrace). I only tried BJJ briefly to see what's there (left because of injury.

18elders
06-14-2002, 04:48 AM
Yes,there is ground fighting in praying mantis. The reason you don't see it is not many people know it. We practise it in our class as well as counters for the takedowns. You need to find someone who really knows his applications to his mantis. did you know there are throws in little mantis?
Master Shr should be here in the fall, it would be well worth your time to come and take one of his seminars, you will be amazed.
A friend of mine had master Shr do a 3 day seminar at his school, he said he learned more about mantis in 3 days than in 13 years in his current mantis style.

yu shan
06-15-2002, 04:13 PM
A certain South Texas KF school I presume, how brainwashed! When sense comes to shove, he will hopefully "see the forest thru the trees".

Ye Gor
06-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Yu Shan,

No doubt it would be great. It'd be great just to see everybody, too.

But I've been doing just Chen for the last 6 or 7 years... (I walk through a few WL forms once or twice a year just to see if I remember anything.)

If I go anywhere this year, it'd be to Edmonton. There lives Joseph Chen, who is Li Enjiu's kung fu brother... and speaks perfect English! (What a difference that makes.)

Le nOObi
06-15-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Ye Gor

One comment (sure enough to draw some ire): unless I'm hopefully out of touch, the Gracies have been dominant in the open ring arena. If PM is so great AND can deal with stuff on the ground... how come there is no PM in the ring?

Well there was a praying mantis guy in ufc 6 and 7 named joel sutton he won both of his fights.

yu shan
06-15-2002, 05:58 PM
Edmonton=hard core hockey! Do we plan on cross-training in Canada`s fighting art? Just funning around Canadian folks, what a great sport! Your Chen must be mighty good. By the way, did you get n touch with Art?

Mantis vs BJJ? Have to go with a Mantis Master. There should be no question here.

simon_peter
06-15-2002, 08:01 PM
I'm continuously amazed by the number of quality instructors in this city. I sincerely hope that this is NOT an aberration, and that this phenomenon is repeated everywhere.