PDA

View Full Version : attn MerryPrankster

Ryu
06-05-2002, 09:18 PM
MerryPrankster, what takedowns do you feel have the best success rate for bigger opponents? From your experience? Obviously skill plays a big part in execution, but are there any takedowns, throws, etc. you feel are more "foolproof" then others?
Kung Fu practitioners please also post your experiences as well.

Ryu

Brad Souders
06-05-2002, 09:40 PM
I think the best all around takedown in general is the bear hug trip.
Will say your attacking the their right leg for the take down. Fake high with the set-up and drop to change levels. Take your left leg and wrap it around his right leg while dropping down to your right knee. Slam your chest into his thigh/hip area. The lower your get the more off balance he becomes.
Two points
1: Make sure to hit with all your upper body into the thigh if not the oppenent can uchi mata out of a high bear hug

2. Scoop with your outside leg when doing this it forces your head to the side and protects against knees.

If you go to your right knee and he steps over the hook of your left leg keep walking through into a double leg.

GinSueDog
06-05-2002, 11:46 PM
It has to be the single IMHO.-ED

Shooter
06-06-2002, 12:04 AM
The ones that work.

scotty1
06-06-2002, 12:42 AM
I hate answers like that.:)

KnightSabre
06-06-2002, 03:19 AM
I'd have to say the low single is the easiest to pull off on big or small apponents.
Watch Sak do it against guys like Igor to see how effective it is.

HongKongPhooey
06-06-2002, 04:17 AM
I'm with shooter on this one, if it works use it. If it doesn't work, don't.

Merryprankster
06-06-2002, 06:27 AM
For guys substantially bigger than me, I have to go with the low sweep single.

It provides several advantages:

1. You're taking the leg out to the side, back and away. If he sprawls, he's going to have to try and cut the angle off as he does it, and hopefully, you'll have a mobility advantage.

2. It keeps him from getting his direct weight on you.

3. If you can't quite get it, you're halfway to his back. Then you can use another throw that works well on big opponents--Tani Otoshi. Just lock your hands around his waist and back trip him. Better keep that waist tight though----or else you'll fall and he won't.

SevenStar
06-06-2002, 06:41 AM
Darn you - I was gonna say tani otoshi. if doesn't have a big height advantage and I get easily reach his neck, I like koshi guruma also.

ewallace
06-06-2002, 08:29 AM
I'd like for you to check something out but I'd like to keep it on the D/L. Can you shoot me an email or turn on your P/M?

-Tanks

ewallace
06-06-2002, 11:21 AM
ttt

Merryprankster
06-06-2002, 11:27 AM
ewallace--

shoot me an e-mail a javalentine11@
hotmail.com

The split in the e-mail is just to keep away spam :) I don't know if it works, but I stopped getting so much spam...

ewallace
06-06-2002, 11:37 AM
Done.

Merryprankster
06-06-2002, 11:49 AM
ewallace--you did send it to javalentine11, and not jvalentine11, right? I accidentally left it out the first tim I posted. I will respond as soon as I get it.

dragontounge2
06-06-2002, 11:58 AM
Go see what you like hane goshi is my fav.http://judoinfo.com/techdraw.htm

ewallace
06-06-2002, 11:58 AM
Oops. Someone will definitely wonder wtf that was about :)

- Re sent.

Merryprankster
06-06-2002, 12:16 PM
You've got mail :)

Merryprankster
06-06-2002, 12:20 PM
dragon--

hane is a good throw, but hip throws are hard to pull off on substantially larger opponents unless your kuzushi is VERY good.

Big guys tend to sit on the throw for the ura nage or tani otoshi counter.

dragontounge2
06-06-2002, 01:00 PM
what would you reccomend?

Merryprankster
06-06-2002, 01:07 PM
I like the low sweep single. You can often get a side body lock to tani otoshi. You basically want to avoid any throw that is going to position you directly underneath them--so your hip throws are out, double leg is gone, fireman's carry is a bad idea, etc. Trip and entwining type throws aren't shabby, but you MUST break their balance to the back before you try this, or you're going to get crushed if they have any experience.

dragontounge2
06-06-2002, 01:13 PM
http://judoinfo.com/images/nauta/osotomak.gif

lungshihpo
06-06-2002, 03:23 PM
My favorite takedown is when standing opened-closed with right leg forward, lead with front hand towards back shoulder covering their front hand with your rear hand, throw a back sweep hitting with the back of your leg, just below the calf, while striking the shoulder and pulling them around underneath you. But I am a pretty tall guy, seems to work well for me.

Merryprankster
06-06-2002, 07:36 PM
Dragon---Osotomakikomi is still going to be the same problem--they can lift you and if your feet are off the ground, good luck throwing them. I'm 6' 185. When I was in highschool, I wrestled at 160. I used to LOVE when people would try to hip throw me. Because of my height, I'd just pick them up, knee-prop them, and drop them on their side.

lungshi--what you are describing sounds suspiciously like Judo's Osoto-gari. VERY nice throw.