PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Style Kung Fu, Tai Chi and Chi Kung

Alkerian
06-06-2002, 07:10 AM
All internal arts, depending on the use of Chi.

Anyone have experience or knowledge or thoughts they would like to share in these internal arts?

Former castleva
06-06-2002, 08:00 AM
No,no way...donīt look at me!!:D
Great idea.
I would love to learn about dragon style too.
Cheers.

Chang Style Novice
06-06-2002, 08:20 AM
I've never heard of Dragon Tai Chi, and as far as I know Dragon Kungfu is basically a form within other larger, mostly external styles (Shaolin, Choy Li Fat, etc.) that combines the essences of other animal forms (crane, tiger, bear, snake, monkey, etc.) So far as I know, these various Dragon Forms are more likely to be external than internal.

Dragon qigong is another one that's new to me.

Good luck finding out more, though. I'm pretty pig-ignorant on most stuff.

Alkerian
06-06-2002, 10:09 AM
Well, the little I know about Dragon-style KF is that apprentices start off like other external Shaolin arts, developping hard punches, kings, strength, speed and power etc...

Then, in the later stages (I think after you become a disciple) you start moving away from external to internal ways...focusing on harnessing Chi and using it instead of our own force...

meltdawn
06-06-2002, 12:18 PM
I think Alkerian just wants to hear about the internal aspects of kung fu and those labeled internal, and is not stating that dragon style has tai chi in it.

Dragon style is considered internal at it's highest level. Lung Ying is not "a form within other larger, mostly external styles". Dragon style has it's own chi kung.

That's just a little about the style I study. For more information, visit the southern boards, where many dragon style practitioners frequent. We get grouped as southern everywhere we go, though the art is most accurately grouped as Hak Ga. Also, please visit my school's website and links page:

http://www.lungyingjingjung.com/links.html

dezhen2001
06-06-2002, 02:36 PM
There are also some examples of qigong based on the Dragon... for example Swimming Dragon Qigong found in my schools Dayan Qigong (Wild Goose Qigong) syllabus. It's a very beautiful, but DARN difficult form.

As far as my limited knoweledge on Dragon in other systems, it's more likely to be towards the Internal side, if not actually Internal. Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, Shaolin and some other skills have dragon sets... Maybe you should go to the southern forum and ask there? :)

david

Ao Qin
06-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Hi Meltdawn - always glad to see you defending the faith! Alkerian - right on!

Dragon Sifus often compare the power to Tai Chi - Lik methods are frowned on, a "soft" sensing and sticking power is emphasized. The point is developing a fluid, powerful and smooth power based on the same principles of Tai Chi. It is certainly not a quick, hasty method which can be learned over a few years.

The great thing about Dragon compared to Tai Chi, is that it is also firmly grounded in practical, proven (and very unique), external fighting methods - body conditioning is also emphasized. People often say it is a method "between" the external and internal.

Toodles!

jun_erh
06-06-2002, 06:43 PM
dragon style is I think considered to be a "sister" style to the infamous Bak Mei. So it's sort of internal or something? sort of like the flipside to chen style tai chi maybe? except coming from the other side. hahaha probably not

Dragon Quigong was in KFQ a year or so ago spread out over like 6 issues.

meltdawn
06-07-2002, 07:45 AM
Jun-er:
"dragon style is I think considered to be a "sister" style to the infamous Bak Mei. So it's sort of internal or something? sort of like the flipside to chen style tai chi maybe? except coming from the other side. hahaha probably not "

Well, many folks think pak mei and lung ying are closely related, and I believe they are in some ways, at least in recent history. The two most famos non-monks to learn, exhibit and teach the style were friends. However, I have never seen pak mei in person (yet), so I cannot give a knowledgeable opinion of how close the two are. The representation/exhibition of both arts can and does vary greatly within the different schools of both pak mei and lung ying, so some people may have seen a particular representation of both arts that make them look suspiciously similar. Lineage oft points to the cause.

As far as internal goes, Kevin said "People often say it is a method "between" the external and internal." That's a pretty cool way of thinking about it. We do a good amount of percieved "external" conditioning in order to be able to use the tools of the trade to their extreme. I think - maybe like some tai chi - that the system could stand on it's own and be viable without this conditioning, but one would miss out on the destructive capabilities the system offers with both prepared limbs AND good working principals. I believe I don't know tai chi well enough to compare the two's similarity of principals.

The external conditioning as well as the external training, then progression to a more refined internal aspect, are what make dragon style both challenging and fascinating to study. No, you will not "get it" for a long time. As Kevin stated: "It is certainly not a quick, hasty method ". But it's a good one. IMHO. :)