PDA

View Full Version : Punching Pad/bag for Apartment

CraneFist
06-06-2002, 09:00 AM
I wanted to know if anyone had some ideas for punching bags/pads that are designed with keeping the sound to a minimum. Up until yesterday, I had a punching pad screwed into a door frame in my apartment. Well, while I was practising some punching drills, I hear a knock on the door. When I open the door I recognize that it is the older woman who lives below me, who I have met on a couple of occasions and am friendly with. She asked if I knew anything about the pounding sound that was coming from the back of the house, or if I was building anything. I showed her the punching pad and she said "ahh, that makes sense now, as all the plaster has fallen off the ceiling in my bedroom" which is directly below where I have it setup. Anyway, I really need to keep up the daily practice as I was just starting to make some good progress in my power and speed. Any suggestions you have would be great, I do have a little space, but please keep in mind that it would have to be something that keeps the noise and vibration down. I thought about a hanging heavy bag, but I had one of those, and they make a hell of alot of noise (at least mine did when it was setup in the basement).
Thanks in advance,
Cheers

dragontounge2
06-06-2002, 09:39 AM
I would recomend using a speed bag? Those things that hang from two ropes. WWW.Titleboxing.com

SevenStar
06-06-2002, 09:51 AM
I would advise against having a heavy bag in your apt. Do you have access to a gym? you can hang a speed bag in your apt., but you won't develop power from that.

SevenStar
06-06-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by dragontounge2
I would recomend using a speed bag? Those things that hang from two ropes. WWW.Titleboxing.com

The thing that hangs from two ropes is a double end bag - it's used for speed and accuracy though, not power. you can also use it for movement work - moving to the left and right, etc.

dragontounge2
06-06-2002, 10:06 AM
This is true I forgot to mention it. I would recomend a wall bag you know what it is?

CraneFist
06-06-2002, 12:19 PM
A wall Bag? I have never heard of one of those. Can you give me more information on that dragontounge2? The Speed ball sounds like it it would be good idea as I do need to train speed, but I need something to hit hard and not make a lot noise. Thanks for the replies everyone, keep them coming.

kungfu cowboy
06-06-2002, 01:02 PM
A wallbag will be noisy also; just like punching the wall with a thin pillow on it. Living in an apartment, one can't do much that doesn't make noise (I am about ready to kill my neighbors). I have a heavybag hanging off of a cable weight machine. Makes noise. I am thinking about sinking an eyehook into a beam in the ceiling. This shouldn't produce to much vibration as its connection is the small eyehook. Maybe try that?