PDA

View Full Version : red splotches on the hands?

gnugear
06-07-2002, 04:13 PM
While doing standing meditation, the palms of my hands have red splotches all over them. It's only when I can feel the energy flowing down through the fingers.

I thought the spots would be from a lack of circulation, not the other way around.

Does anyone know what it means??

Nexus
06-07-2002, 04:30 PM
I get that sometimes too, not sure exactly what it is.

GLW
06-07-2002, 05:00 PM
flushing of the skin can be from dilation of the blood vessels....therfore more circulaton....

sometimes, this increased circulation is not even so you may get areas where there is more blood flow...and areas where there is less. More blood flow means the skin gets rosy ...flushed...like blushing.

Sinc Chinese Medicine states that Qi is the commander of the blood....this would follow that more Qi flow...more blood flow....

Now, if the splotchiness does not even out, it may be natural..it may be a sign that you need to relax more so the flow gets more even...or in a worst case, it could indicate a blockage and a problem.

Most likely, if it does not feel strained...if your session feels relaxed and comfortable, and if you feel like you are progressing along the guidelines your teacher has for you, the splotchiness is either natural or an indication that you need to relax more and NOT an indication of a problem.

If it worries you, check with your teacher or a good doctor of Chinese Medicine. If not...just ignore it and relax more and keep practicing.

greendragon
06-07-2002, 05:04 PM
Red splotched interspersed with white splotches. that is chi accumulating in your hands.

gnugear
06-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys. Good info ...

Repulsive Monkey
06-10-2002, 03:31 AM
It can signify Qi reachinf the palms, yet it can also indicate pathogenic heat leaving the hand too. Any redness whatsoever is an indication of heat.

gnugear
06-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
It can signify Qi reachinf the palms, yet it can also indicate pathogenic heat leaving the hand too. Any redness whatsoever is an indication of heat.

would heat leaving the hands be a bad thing?

Repulsive Monkey
06-10-2002, 02:53 PM
If you have excess heat or wind heat invasion then ecpelling pathogenic heat from the hands is a very good thing to do. If however you are very Yang deficient, blood deficient or even Qi deficient then this heat might well be better served to be retained inside the body.