PDA

View Full Version : Doing your Kung Fu homework?

logic
06-07-2002, 05:20 PM
Well, do you do it?
you know, what your supposed to work on at home .
Like forms, stance work, routines,

Or do you not do it and tell your sifu that you did.(Then you wonder why the other students are so much far away ahead of you)I'm not an instructor, but I see this in class often and I know the student is lieing when he/she says they did.

Your really only hurting yourself
and I also believe your waisting your money.
If your not interested enough in the Martial Arts to train somewhat at home,Well then, Maybe you should join a bowling legue.

We are supposed to practice a certain routine, and the person I get paired up with Sucks because he didn't practice squat.

Oh Well, I'm not really that upset.
I still train at home, heavy bag, mook yan jong, forms, shadow box, ETC.

I believe that ALONE time in training gets you to know yourself a little more and realize some of your flaws.
Then you have more time to work them out before returning to class.:) :)

logic
06-07-2002, 05:31 PM
could not spell f.a.r.t.h.e.r. "so it's far away ahead of you"

respectred
06-07-2002, 05:34 PM
i agree!

it's sorta like my teacher says in class: "learn what the movement is in [here] and figure them out at for yourself at home".

it's so weird too, i was so horrible at the spinning hook kick in class, but the day after i went out to practice and it all came together when i applied the little tips he kept telling us in class, and now i do them just fine.

it's like your body becomes enlightened or something and somehow everything works, it's good stuff :)!

if anybody's too lazy or whatever to practice on their own time, then practice in your head! that's another thing my teacher tells us to do, because he knows some of us won't practice. just run through your forms a couple times in your head, it's amazing how much better you'll remember/perform them the next class.

-matt

IronFist
06-07-2002, 10:41 PM
I practice at home a lot :)

IronFist

SevenStar
06-07-2002, 10:53 PM
yeah, I agree. I think I progress more when I train on my own because I can focus on what I know I need to work. BUT, you gotta remember that not everybody cares. you have those that just want an alternative form of exercise, those that are forced to go, i.e. little kids, weekend warriors just looking for something to do, etc. Just as not everyone is interested in the spiritual aspect of martial arts, not everyone is interested in being the best MA they can possibly be either.

NYerRoman
06-08-2002, 12:25 AM
I agree, but reading this thread makes me think of something else.
Like those who exaggerate. Like some guy in my school that started this year and is a fanatic and then some....

I'm a fanatic but he...you gotta salute the kwoon as you enter and exit, plus we salute the alter before and after every training. But this guy salutes the bathroom and the locker room. He's irritating to the point that he practices at home and has an attitutde towards others....and he's first year!

I use him to practice self-control because you get the urge to just WHAM!
and be on your merry way...

Mr Punch
06-08-2002, 01:22 AM
Train every day. Train about two hours. Then train waiting for the kettle to boil, train in the shower, train on the train (the history of Japanese ma is a myth: they were designed with to deal with travelling on the subway!:( :D Especially the stances!), train in the lift, train in bed. It shows in class. It's an excellent way of experimenting and working out your weak points.

Tvebak
06-08-2002, 01:39 AM
I find that even the shortest time of training alone with that special concentration i get when i train alone brings really rapid progress.
The thing with going thru movement in my head works wonders also, another thing thats really good and quite fun also is to imagine techniques in everyday situations, when your walking on the street imagine how you would respond to attacks from the different people around you...it really helped me with one movement i had a lot of trouble with.
Just...u know...keep it in your head;)

Gabriel
06-08-2002, 03:26 AM
o'course i train at home...not to do so would make MA quite futile.

logic
06-08-2002, 04:47 PM
SevenStar
Yeah, I agree.
Some people need something to do.

NYerRoman
This guy won't last 18 months. He'll find something else that tickles his fancy by then.
I'm almost sure of it.

Mat
You forgot
Train wile masterbating:D

AND
Gabriel (the newbee) sums it ALL up!!:) ;) ;)