View Full Version : Tyson Fight

Miles Teg
06-08-2002, 09:26 PM
Anyone see the fight?
I thought it was good.

yuanfen
06-08-2002, 10:15 PM
Indeed it wasa good fight. Lewis adapted to Tyson's style by
1. depending on his long reach 2. moving forward more than he used to 3. developinga right uppercut- the same punch that Buster Douglas used successfully aginst Tyson 4, Leaning on Tyson in the clinches. All this slowed Tyson down- he coudnt get punching room when close and couldnt get in when far. Plus Tyson has had bad trainers ever since he got rid of the last D'Amato protege.But he showed class in losing- compared to the past.

Two losses for me today... Tyson and War Emblem who stumbled at the gate at the Belmont. Put my hopes on the wrong horses.

old jong
06-09-2002, 06:35 AM
I watched the fight and...I thought that maybe Tyson was not "hungry" enough this time! ;)

Cranestyle
06-09-2002, 07:16 AM
he looked knackered, he's lost the ability to slip jabs that he had back in the 'glory' days and this didn't help when it is Lennoxs main weapon. That right uppercut stopped him as well when he got inside lennoxs reach.
Lennox looked good though, reckon he's definately the best heavyweight in the world.
I'm glad that this match ended the way it did though, no ear-biting and Tyson actually seemed dignified in defeat despite the pre-fight outbursts.

yuanfen
06-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Tyson is a year younger than Lewis- the problem is not one of age but proper direction in training- a most important item in the pros. Lewis has Seward one of the great trainers in the corner-
who knows the balance of working with the material that he has
and adpting to the opponent involved. He readjusted Lewis after the first Rahman fight. Since Tyson got rid of Rooney the Cus D' Amato protege, he has hada series of 3rd rate trainers to help him.
If he can get a first rate trainer- Atlas(unlikely), Rooney(a liitle less but still unlikely), Dundee(old) and go back to the drawing board- defense while advancing against really tall folks-footwork- he can still be a devastating "inside" fighter. But if he doesnt it will be the same result again. Could it be - that he needs a first rate wing chun person on his team?(Gasp)
Self evidently, Lewis is the best right now...but neither Tyson nor Lewis
can match pre Alzheimer's Ali's own ability to think on his feet
(not just listening to trainers)- them were the days. Look at the caliber of people he fought---Frazier,
Norton, Shavers, Henry Cooper(Britain's best at the time), Liston,
Foreman, Foster, Patterson. Moore etc etc...

Miles Teg
06-09-2002, 06:23 PM
I changed my opinion about Lennox.
I used to think he was pretty cheap with that continuous jabbing and his longer reach. But he seems to be able to neutralize Tyson even in a closer range and get some good shots in.

One thing I noticed from a wing chun perspective: Tysons guard is so close to his face, with his gloves touching(or almost) his face.
When Lewis jabs there is nothing to intercept it with. Also cause Tysons arms are bent on an angle lower than 90% Lewis's jabs go straight through and if they don't he hits Tyson's gloves into his own face.

I don't know anything about boxing beyond being a spectator, but don't you think if Tysons arms were out to the front more he would have more luck.

I know there are different rules in the ring, but what do you think?
Anyone done any boxing who can comment?

Spark
06-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Well I like to take this opportunity to pat myself on the back and direct all y'alls attention to the KF board where I did in fact predict a Lewis KO in the 8th!!!

Ahhh I won some sweet, sweet $$$$ for that one!!

Anyone wanting professional predictions just let me know!! :D

Here's a freebie

Barrera Morales II
Barrera D12! HAHA

Chango
06-10-2002, 04:28 AM
Tyson is a good puncher at best. He never was a great boxer puncher. He's no Joe Frazier who could work his way in punishing you the hole 12 rounds. Mike will press for the first three and coast until he get's his wind back. a good boxer will take that time to kiss him good night. He was never amongst the greats in boxing. He is a Don King project exposed. To be great you must be the greats. I mean let's be honest here. The only to real champs that he faced Hollyfield and Lewis knocked him out! with boxing nothing else. I want to see what Lewis has for Ibeabuchie (sp?) to me that will define Lewis. The Tyson circus should come to a end. He's now out of debt he has a kid. He has made his mark he should move on. Just my two cents.

I have to go with Barrera in a discision as well. I honestly thought he won the first one. However it was one of the best fights I have ever seen. I would like to see the Prince get a rematch. I don't think Hamed could beat him but it mad for a good fight as well.

Starbuck
06-10-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by yuanfen
Self evidently, Lewis is the best right now...but neither Tyson nor Lewis can match pre Alzheimer's Ali's own ability to think on his feet (not just listening to trainers)- them were the days.

FYI, Ali suffers from Parkinson's Disease, not Alzheimer's. His mind is still as sharp as it ever was, but he has great difficulty controlling his body.

yuanfen
06-10-2002, 11:24 AM
Starbuck you are correct. Mea culpa in typing. Ali comes to the Barrow neurological institute here in the Phoenix metro area
both for consultaion and fundraising. Technically Parkinson's syndrome- apparently a descriptive distinction.