PDA

View Full Version : A beautiful Chinese temple...

Ryu
06-08-2002, 10:28 PM
With all the style battles and stuff going around, I figured I'd write down my night tonight. some may enjoy it, others may not, but that's okay. To me it was very pretty, and and gave me a taste of how the "fantastic" can sometimes mix in quite well with real life. Take it for what it's worth. Appreciate it for what it is. (Yeah, it'll be a little on the 'artsy' side. forgive me)

My training partner recently had a death in the family. Without going into too much detail, a girl friend of mine and I decided to go with him to a Chinese Buddhist temple out in the city so he could pay some last respects. He and I had been there during the day quite often, but it was my first time to visit at night. During our drive there, my friend listened to some really powerful Chinese music that mixed Modern and Traditional sounds into one blend. The night sky was touched by the lights of buildings and street lamps as we drove. It gave off a very serene and peaceful feeling. Not many were on the street, but the red lights of the cars in front of us added to the relaxing and almost surreal drive.

The temple at night was possibly the most beautiful thing I have seen in a long time. The daylight just didn't do it justice. Huge white marble Buddha statues stared down at us as lights illuminated out from underneath them throwing their shadows huge distances. Well-trimmed trees and shrubbery aligned a little garden that we walked through to get to the temple's main hall.
We all took off our shoes, and entered with the time closing in around 10:00 pm. The inside was dark. Only candles and a faint glare of room lights across the hall lit up the darkness. To the very center of a large altar sat a freshly painted golden Buddha. As we lit some inscense, and knelt as my friend prayed for his family's loss (he was very close to the deceased) the crickets outside began to chirp. We sat together, a Japanese, Chinese, and American. My friend asked me to kind of sit with him a little, and I did so. In front of the large golden Buddha was a thick lit candle that gave off a flame that was so bright it almost seemed as if it were coming from within the statue. It was truly beautiful.
Simply a scene from a movie.
My friend breathed out and thanked me and stood up. (This next part might be offensive to some.... if it is, forgive me. It may indeed be immature, but it is how my friend and I are. We kind of show affection by fighting :D :rolleyes: .... it's kind of hard for us to really come out and say anything directly....though we do obviously.)
Anyway, he smiled at me, seemed really at peace at the situation (he's beeing going through hard times with this recent loss) and threw out a punch to my face LOL. I shot in for a double leg, and picked him up, but not before having him buckle my leg with a kick :D He hit the ground, rolled out of the way, laughed, and then ran and performed one of those no hand cartwheels, and a flip up. We laughed together, and kind of walked out in that "hug headlock" kind of things guys do when they don't want to show that they care :D (the reason I say some might be offended is because we did this in the sanctuary of a Buddhist hall.... but the intentions were very pure, and it was just his way to be rid of some of his feelings.)
Afterwards, the three of us walked outside and talked to one of the monks watering some of the plants (at 10 pm at night?? :confused: ) My friend asked to talk to the head monk of the temple (who is somewhat like a godfather to him, and performed the chants at the funeral) He was awake, and we went into the lit part of the monastary to talk with him and give him our best wishes, etc.
This little man comes right out of a movie. :) He is sweet, amazingly intelligent, and has talked with me in the past. A very serene little guy who has the atmosphere that can make the "meanest" of guys show a smile. I'm not sure how old he is, but he is somewhere past his 60's maybe 70's. Maybe even older.
Anyway, the temple occasionally hosts martial arts demonstrations, and he invited us to learn Tai Chi Chuan with some others as well. For free :D
(incidently I'll probably go. At least just to experience it.... ) He also invited us to see Wushu demonstrations, etc.
After we talked and laughed together, we let him get to bed for the evening. We left, and returned home.
Everyone had such a great time. I rarely do things that make me feel that much peace and happiness. :)
The whole night had such a "kung fu" type of atmosphere to it that I had to laugh. And I kind of thought of this forum, and wanted to at least post about it. Hopefully you guys will like what I've written here, even though it may be kind of "corny" haha. But hey, it was one of the best days I've had in a LONG time. Simply wonderful.
A lot is said about kung fu on this forum in regards to a lot of things. One thing I can say after tonight though is that the cultural "essence" of your guys' martial art is incredibly beautiful.

Just thought I'd let ya know.
(though I still like my wrestling takedowns ;) )

Night

Ryu

Cody
06-08-2002, 10:36 PM
I very much liked what you wrote and how you said it. Was almost like being there. My sympathy to your friend.

very best,
Cody

Xebsball
06-08-2002, 11:03 PM
very cool :D