PDA

View Full Version : 45 min. Heavy Bag workout vs 30min running...

MantisKungFu
06-08-2002, 10:30 PM
I am trying to get in the best overall shape I can. I want to be lean, but have good muscle definition over my entire upper body. Which do you think would be a better workout to achieve this? 45 minutes of Heavy Bag work or 30 minutes of running?

Is working on the heavy bag for 45mins 5-6 times a week too much? Should I run 4 days a week and do heavy bag 3? On the days I run, I do various pushups after the run...

So what should I do? Thanks...

Crimson Phoenix
06-09-2002, 03:43 AM
The problem with the heavy bag, I guess, would be that your muscles will enter anaerobic phase too quick...since heavy bag workout will probably consist of intense efforts separated by recovery times, instead of the lesser intensity but continuous effort required during the running (staying in aerobic phase is paramount to burn fats). So it seems you'll get leaner from the running, while the bag will help your muscle definition...they really both train different things, one trains stamina, while the other ones trains you to issue intense power over a short time...I guess the best thing would be to do both...if you have to chose, I'd personally take the heavy bag...it will help you more martialy-wise than running (conditionning, focus, power etc...) ;)

DelicateSound
06-09-2002, 07:26 AM
Skipping is better than running.

Like CP said, heavy bag will have different effects.

I'd do skipping for 15 mins to warm up then heavy bag and a little shadow boxing. You'll get leaner and work MA skills.

Royal Dragon
06-09-2002, 10:26 AM
The principals of modern execises philosiphy state that the body developes the fastes and most profoundly through the practice of a large variety of activitys.

That being said, I say run one day, do bag work the next, lift weights on day 3 and take a day off, then repeat the scedual in revers the next 3 days. Or mix it up either way, every 4-6 weeks change your training scedual.

I like to work in 4-6 week cycles with different routines done in different orders in each cycle, with a full week of nothing inbetween cycles.. Seems to work the best for me.

Former castleva
06-09-2002, 12:48 PM
A good question.
IŽd say do both,and some more.
Listen to yourself.
In a nutshell:remember to eat,rest,train and think properly.

Kristoffer
06-10-2002, 04:22 AM
Running won't build muscles or punching power.

scotty1
06-10-2002, 04:29 AM
"Skipping is better than running"

How so? What for?

roughnready
06-11-2002, 10:57 AM
I would have to say that the heavy bag workout will give you more definition because of the resistance that it provides.

DragonzRage
06-11-2002, 02:24 PM
There's no reason why you can't do bagwork and running as well. Just make sure you do your bagwork in rounds (such as 3 min rounds with 1 minute rest in between). If you want best overall shape, I say train both and also throw in weight training somewhere in that mix. If you want to gain a bit more muscle mass and power then emphasize the weights more than the running. If you want to focus on being a good fighter and general fitness then focus more on the running. In any case you should do all three to some degree for best overall shape, IMO.