PDA

View Full Version : What's the hardest thing you've ever done in training?

IronFist
06-09-2002, 12:15 PM
Well, what is it? It can be based on the following:

a) Hard as in like, requires much muscular exertion. Ex: Ouch, lactic acid buildup. etc.

b) Hard as in like, requires much technical proficiency. Ex: I've practiced this technique every day for 6 months and I still don't have it right!

c) Hard as in like, painful. Ex: This Juko Kai getting kicked in the balls training HURTS.

Or any combination of the above.

IronFist

Former castleva
06-09-2002, 12:37 PM
That Juko Kai stuff may not be very healthy,but I guess it might be a great secret technique practice,but possibly a bit hard to pass for the next generations...;)

Tvebak
06-09-2002, 01:08 PM
One of the hardest things i ever did in training was rockclimbing, both because its really hard for the body, but also because i was really panicly afraid of heights at the time...really tough to win against that kind of fear...but very revarding.
Also i took a graduation in a Wannabe KF school that incluted fighting full contact against three others after an hour of hard physical training...friends told me my face was grey afterwards and i could barely walk.
Oh yeah...and swimming 10km...and wisiting that crasy monkeyKF school and doing 20 minz of Mabu in the snow...and having my kneejoint popped out about 20times...and the broken toe...and the time one of my friends put 385kg on the leg machine...and the busted eardrum...God...why do i do all this **** to me....
You just made me quit training....NOT:)

guohuen
06-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Training when you don't feel like it.:eek:

Gabriel
06-09-2002, 01:58 PM
Iron Bridges... :(

Iron board bridges.

I forgot what we called this one..I call it tan tui, but apparently thats wrong. Its when you hold a leg out lateral while standing, then slowly crouch on one leg with your one leg still kicked out lateral. Then rise up on that one leg. The rise up part kills me, also, when i lower down, I find it hard to keep my foot flat, I need to use alot of abdominal muscle to pull the whole thing off..an altogether unpleasant exercise ...

Oh, pushups over a 100 of any type...

Dips, pullups, running...LOL....oh...and the abdominal killer pillar stuff.... :eek:

Gabriel

SaMantis
06-09-2002, 03:11 PM
My school calls that move tam tui ... can't tell you whether it's right or not. Either way, it's the hardest thing I've done in training to date. Still can't pull it off. :(

ReverendTim
06-09-2002, 03:13 PM
Way back in the day, when I lived in Colorado and was taking Issin-ryu karate after 4 years of military-style tae kwon do, we were working on the ol' flying side kick. Remember that this was 1987 and EVERYONE wanted to do this kind of kick, impractical though it is.

Well, being a landlocked SOB with really no vertical whatsover (a problem that still plagues me), I had a hard time doing this particular technique. I worked it and I worked it and practiced and practiced.

Then one day at the ol' dojo, it just clicked. I sailed right on up there nice and high, got my one leg tucked and just blasted the kicking shield with my kicking leg.

Unfortunately, I was so surprised that I did it, I just sorta forget to untuck my one leg and land...instead I kinda dropped straight down and caught all my body weight right on the tucked ankle and SNAP. Holy god, did that hurt.

Didn't train again until like 11 years later.

--
Rev. Tim

Dale Dugas
06-09-2002, 03:27 PM
The hardest thing for me was back in my undergraduate days. I had recently acquired a 3 sectional staff and having no REAL instruction thought I could learn myself some of the moves of the elusive sam ja kwun.

I was doing a nice job of spinning it around when I lost the tension on one side and the lower stick decided it wanted to meet my testicles rather abruptly, and without authorization.

I fell over and was laughed at as some of the football team was practicing on the other side of the quad. They saw the hit, and then watched as I fell over like a cut tree. I knocked myself out with a total nut buster. Couldnt walk normal for at least a month.

I gained a very healthy respect for the nasty flexible weapon it be.

in Boston,

Dale Dugas

IronFist
06-09-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Gabriel
Iron Bridges... :(

Iron board bridges.

Yeah. I just started those. On the chairs, right?

I forgot what we called this one..I call it tan tui, but apparently thats wrong. Its when you hold a leg out lateral while standing, then slowly crouch on one leg with your one leg still kicked out lateral. Then rise up on that one leg. The rise up part kills me, also, when i lower down, I find it hard to keep my foot flat, I need to use alot of abdominal muscle to pull the whole thing off..an altogether unpleasant exercise ...

Sounds like a one legged squat. Those are fun :)

IronFist

Nichiren
06-10-2002, 01:57 AM
It was my first BJJ practise.

Rolling around grappling for 2 hours. After 1 hour I was so tired I saw double and I thought I was going to pass out at any moment. I did it through the next hour on determination only.

Former castleva
06-10-2002, 03:01 AM
Ruff stuff.
One legged squat/crouch/tam tui is pretty hard,no can do...
And to the topic finally:I guess that is when emotional problems kick in.

Gabriel
06-10-2002, 03:44 AM
Geez Dale Dugas and Rev Tim. Ouch and ouch. You guys win. :D

Yep , the Iron board Bridges are done on chairs.

The regular iron bridges is when you lay flat on the ground, back down, put your hands and feet flat on the ground, hands right behind your shoulders, and then arch your back up by straightening your arms and legs. I used to have alot of trouble with this, and was even harder to overcome for me than the tam tui/one legged squats, or even the low horse, which can be painful as well. I know others that never had trouble with this maneuver. It must've been something particular to my body type or something.. :confused: I dunno..

Yeah castleva, at one point, I reached a certain point where my expectations met my physical limitations. What followed was doubts that I could even cut it, ect. Finally, I realized, its hard work, and to just suck it up. Is this what you meant by emotional problems?

Gabriel
06-10-2002, 03:48 AM
oh and SaMantis. Fellow Mantis practitioner. You rock! :cool:

Merryprankster
06-10-2002, 06:37 AM
BJJ 50 minutes straight, competition speed. (matches at purple are 7 minutes long....)

No closed guard. Any lull in the action was immediately noted by either Rhadi Ferguson or Lloyd Irvin, who were both offering words of "encouragement," and enthusiasm from the sidelines.

One warning for stalling, which was defined as no hip movement for greater than three seconds.

You need water, go home.
You need a break, you go home.
You have to stop to puke, you go home.

Sestum
06-10-2002, 08:41 AM
My first 2 hours of capoeria... wasnt prepared for that at all... almost passsed out quite a few times. by the time everyone was playing in the roda at the end of class i was surprised i was still concious.

Glad i wasnt the one driving home that night....

fa_jing
06-10-2002, 11:58 AM
Running 10 miles.

-FJ

SaMantis
06-10-2002, 02:50 PM
10 miles, ugh -- I've never run more than 3.

Walking 10 miles was never a problem for me, though ... except that it takes all day. At least running is faster, even if you're dead tired at the end of it.

Gabriel -- Go Mantis!!! :D

Cipher
06-21-2002, 07:21 AM
I have done something that was really hard for me. I have no idea what it should be called. Point A and point B would be setup, not to far from each other, just far enough to do a quick sprint as fast as you can. We would start a point A and squat downas far as we can and then jump straight up. First we did 10 jumps ran to point B squated and did 9 jumps, ran to point A and squated and did 8 jumps and so forth until we were down to 1 jump and then we were done. My legs have never felt so tired as they do after doing this.

dezhen2001
06-21-2002, 07:29 AM
Well, there have been a few things that have been very hard to do for me.

Doing over a 1 hour Siu Lim Tao - a major combination of all 3 things Ironfist said at the start: painful (kinda), uses lots of effort and is still very precise and technical.

Part of myhard qigong training which consists of doing a handstand against a wall for 50 breaths. Sounds easy but the breathing technique we use for training makes it VERY difficult to do...

just my experiences :)

david

apoweyn
06-21-2002, 07:42 AM
Keeping a straight face after watching my friend Richard wrack himself in the fun bag with an eskrima stick.

No, wait. That's the hardest thing I completely failed to do. We all lost it and didn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes.

Except Richard. Oddly enough, he didn't really laugh about it.

Stuart B.

guohuen
06-21-2002, 07:58 AM
:rolleyes:
:D
That sounds nearly impossible!:p