on your site. Do you do these forms?

r.

NorthernShaolin
06-09-2002, 11:29 PM
r.,

No, I do not know these forms.

r.(shaolin)
06-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Gu Ru Zhang lineage didn't have these forms?
Which lineages of Shaolin which you are aware of have them?

r.

GeneChing
06-11-2002, 11:04 AM
Hong Quan is a northern long fist system that was absorbed by Shaolin. It is not part of BSL. The origins are unclear but some trace it to Song Taizu (along with Changquan, Taizuquan et.al.) It became synonamous with Shaolin, so much so that when the 5 norht styles are listed, shaolin is refered to as hong. There are several hong forms, xiaohong and dahong are the most famous (dahong is actually a trio of forms) and are standard at modern day Shaolin Temple. I've heard of 7 other hong forms, but never seen them and am told that a form I am studying now called gu quan is part of the hong system too (but I've yet ot validate that from an independant source.) Because of Southern Hung Gar and it's connection to Southern Shaolin, this is a particularly muddled area of research in Shaolin style.

r.(shaolin)
06-11-2002, 04:42 PM
Our tradition associates Da and Xiao Hong

GeneChing
06-12-2002, 11:38 AM
Never heard the Red Turban connect before...
FWIW, the Shaolin Eagle Claw of the Lau sisters has a Xiaohong set but it looks nothing like the one I know. I'm not sure if that was part of Lily's Chinwoo influence. I learned Xiao and Da at Shaolinsi from Shi Decheng, and have gotten pointers on it from other monks over the years. They're great sets, very dense. I did some articles on applications of it a while ago too.

Song Taizu had the throne thrust upon him by a midnight mutiny. One of his first acts was to persuade all the generals to retire voluntarily with ample pensions. He replaced military governers with civilians and founded one of the most benevolent dynasties China ever saw. In short, the Song were more remember for their wen, not their wu.

r.(shaolin)
06-12-2002, 09:12 PM
As the Yuan Dynasty began to fail, widespread rebellion

buddhapalm
06-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Hi r.
I was wondering, is it possible to know what is the translation of "pao-chia" ?

Does Pao mean "cannon" ?

Cheers

Buddhapalm

r.(shaolin)
06-13-2002, 09:55 AM
hi Buddhapalm,

buddhapalm
06-13-2002, 10:14 AM
Hi r.
Just a wild linguistical guess on my part. I thought that there may be a connection to the root of Cannon Fist (Pao Quan).

Cheers

Buddhapalm