PDA

View Full Version : Results from Merryprankster

Brad Souders
06-10-2002, 07:17 AM
weekend of Jiu-Jitsu

Merryprankster
06-10-2002, 11:02 AM
On the first day, I swept and attacked an armbar for the finish. I didn't get the armbar.

It was all downhill from there as my opponent proceeded to thrash me. He wound up submitting everybody in our division. I personally managed to last longer than everybody else. :)

I think it would have panned out differently if I had settled in on the mount instead of shooting for the submission ASAP.

Such is life....

Lloyd gave me some advice that I am going to stick with from now on, at the beginning of the second day--fight for your grips as hard as if they were about to pass your guard. True statement, that one and it panned out well--

The second day, I lost a 2-2 judges decision against DANNY IVES.

So even though I didn't actually win a match this weekend, I felt I really stepped up on the next day. Danny is an awesome competitor and has a bit of a name, so to go down to the wire with him was kind of a big deal. He was a heavy crowd favorite. An awful lot of people told me later they felt I had won the match and that the decision was very questionable.

Personally, I feel that the way to avoid questionable calls is to keep the match from being questionable.

I have a 3rd place medal that doesn't mean much if anybody is interested :D

MonkeySlap Too
06-10-2002, 11:20 AM
Merryprankster, obviously you do not know how to represent yourself on KFO.

Let me help you.

"This weekend I fought in the 100 man to-the-death kumite held at a local rec center. My opponents were fierce man-beasts trained on joy juice and endless loops of game of death. They eat Gracie video tapes to digrest the material.

I lost my intitial armbar due to sliding on the oil they placed on the fighting platform. The broken glass that was glued to it, forced me into a disadvantaged position, and I regret to inform my faithful readers that I lost the match.

My grand supreme hi-deng poo-bah sensei refused to accept my offer of ritual suicide for such a public disgrace to our school. I resolved to do better the next day or die fighting.

That night, the other team kidnapped by sensei's mother's doctor's dog, and threatened to kill it unless I threw the match.

Needless to say, my Sensei rescued the pooch, but did not return until after I had to throw my match. I am confident that my squeels of delight were not confused with pain as I let my opponent manhandle me in front the bloodthirsty crowd.

I lost the match, but our honor was upheld. At least Sensei got to screw the pooch."

Or something like that. Really, Merryprankster, are some kind of legitimate martial arts guy being all real and honest? I just expected more, I guess. ;)

Merryprankster
06-10-2002, 11:48 AM
MonkeySlap Too--

The following is a general statement and not directed at you :) Thanks for providing the opening, however...

Ahem--

Why did I not say such things? Because even if I wanted to, I couldn't get away with it. Too many people saw me get my butt stomped, and somewhere, there is footage. It's all that simple. The competitive nature of Judo, BJJ, boxing, etc, mean it's almost impossible to claim something you didn't do, or can't do.

It's hard to maintain THAT type of fraud in BJJ, Judo, etc. and still have people take you seriously.

Rant over.

And MonkeySlap--that was one of the funniest things I've read all day :)

rogue
06-10-2002, 11:54 AM
Be happy with that 3rd place medal MP and count your blessings that my Reality based Korean Tae Chi is too deadly to use in a sport setting! We'd have had the meat wagon working overtime!

Good work MP!

red5angel
06-10-2002, 02:28 PM
Next time MP I am just going to send a few of the guys from the WC forum over to 'cheer' you on! I think that could push a win through for you!

NPMantis
06-10-2002, 04:34 PM
MonkeySlap Too - I liked your version, that's the one I have decided to remember ;)

Merry P - Don't put yourself down mate, you train a lot and I'm sure you'll whup everyone's ass one day soon, you said you're only just a purple belt aren't you? And were you against people who had purple belts for a while? Well done on your medal!

Merryprankster
06-11-2002, 06:19 AM
Yeah. The guy I lost to badly has been training 5+ years. Danny has been training for freaking EVER. Here, with my 2.5 years of experience...whee :)

NPMantis
06-11-2002, 06:28 AM
Mate, you should be pleased with yourself, from the sounds of it you went up against someone with twice as much exerience as yourself and lost, but so what? I'm sure you've learnt a lot over the weekend and surely that's what really matters. With the amount of training and dedication you put into your training, it's only a matter of time before you're the one everyone's scared to face!

Merryprankster
06-11-2002, 06:43 AM
Oh--I'm not down on myself. I'm pretty cool with everything that happenned. I've got some new stuff to work on now, though :) Like how to get by Danny Ives' half-guard.

Brad Souders
06-11-2002, 06:47 AM
headbutt him

qeySuS
06-12-2002, 01:48 PM
congrats man, i have a newfound respect for any belt in BJJ especially BJJ, after getting schooled on the mat for about 2 weeks consecutively, sheez, my muscles have never been so sore before.

Volcano Admim
06-12-2002, 11:19 PM
Well, one with strange name... you do TKD